Changing Channels

Changing Channels

A Poem by Babbette Francis

 

 

There’s a run in my stockings.
I carry my heels by the straps
like they’re a part of my soul- they are not.
It’s almost hilarious how my tears look like the falling rain.
What’s the calorie count of a salty teardrop?
The sugarless gum I’m chewing has long ago lost its flavor
and the corner store is closed,
so I walk on.

 

© 2009 Babbette Francis


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great writing. I love images and concrete language. It lets the reader see the scene.

Posted 1 Year Ago


very intriguing title and the imagery is sharp.
I had heart surgery recently, so I have to stay away from salty teardrops.
and I thought the corner store was open 24 hours...but as Steven Wright would say, "yes, but not in a row."

Posted 1 Year Ago


Babbette Francis

1 Year Ago

The conundrum of it all is that the corner store should have been open but when it rains it pours. ... read more
Relic

1 Year Ago

Steven is a very funny comedian. :)
Palpable hurt... dealing takes on a life all its own.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Babbette Francis

1 Year Ago

Thank you for your time and review. Its a wonder where all the mind goes when you're in pain.
Chris

1 Year Ago

I try to show what I understand from the thought flows that I view... If mine agree with your intent.. read more
this is very interesting imagery. full of symbolsim but i'm not sure i get it completely. but i like it and can tell youu are very thoughtful and delierate with your writing. write back when you get a chance and tell me it means to you.

Posted 14 Years Ago


What a great write..
"The sugarless gum I'm chewing has long ago lost its flavor
and the corner store is closed,
so I walk on."
These lines are so deep in simple meaning.. really a wonderful poem.
Lynne


Posted 14 Years Ago


Hello my old friend. Work has taken me away from the WC for a while, but I am back and hope to post soon. Now as for this piece-- You have deviated from your norm, but in a good way. The picture I get is of (I may be way off base here) perhaps a run-away pondering her path....considering that a pimps demand of sexy shoes and stockings do not define her: "I carry my heels by the straps; like they're a part of my soul- they are not." I like the mystery. I suppose one could conger up any picture of a number of stories from this poem. But the mood is what captivates, and defines this sad, short piece. Wonderful write my dear. Hope to be in touch and to post some work of my own shortly. You are one of the ones I miss from WC, because you are not afraid to speak your mind....and instead of writing too many flowery pieces (life is not ALWAYS butterflies, and daffodils) you write from your spirit. Sometimes I think our writings are fragments of thoughts and moods, emotions, and happenings that have somehow transcended time and space and assaulted our psyche. For good reason: We have the wherewithal to express them with words and to give them life. Great seeing you again, Babs.

Markymark

Posted 14 Years Ago


sounds like the path of heartbreak, I love your visual play on emotion, because it
has the reader imagining the excats og the happening
and the word sculpting effect has subtleness that hits the reader hard, pure heart, brilliant

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

609 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 14, 2009

Author

Babbette Francis
Babbette Francis

Merryville, LA



About
Its been years since I've written anything on this site but I entered a story in a contest and would like to see what becomes of it. I guess we'll see how that turns out. You can say I'm new again an.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..