Camp House

Camp House

A Story by Babbette Francis
"

A haunting love story. Happy Halloween!!

"

I stood on the dock, looking out over the river. The morning sun was just peeking up over the tree line and casting it's rays through the small openings of the dew covered leaves. I stood staring at the light that the perfectly round, orange sun shined down on the water. The water reflected the face of a new day.

 

Just as my thoughts began to wander, I heard Lenny open the screen door of the camp house that stood several hundred feet behind me, on the most beautiful green hill I had ever seen. Everything about this place was paradise to me. I guess that's why I never left. 

 

My eyes followed the wharf back to the hill where Lenny sat looking at the water, his eyes fixed on the boat we've traveled in on days like today. We had the best of times in that boat, speeding down the river, laughing, singing, and enjoying the company of one another.  Oh how I can still, so vividly remember countless occasions we would become overtaken by passion, doing what came naturally in the heat of the moment. 

 

I stood motionless, watching Lenny sit and stare, wondering what he must be thinking. He looked so lost and had looked this way since the fatal accident we were in that left one passenger dead. I knew he must be thinking about that night, the night that he learned he would never walk again. Confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life, he has done nothing but sit outside and stare. I've watched his weight drop slowly because he refuses eat. The guilt is too much for him and he's grieving to death and there's nothing I can do to stop his pain. 

 

I've tried whispering in his ear, the way I always had. I've tried passing my fingers through his hair, hoping to get a response, but failed. Nothing I've tried has brought him out of his shock.  I've told him time and time again how much I love him, but he doesn't respond. 

 

He doesn't hear me, and he doesn't feel me.  I wish he would... then I could tell him that I forgive him for the accident that ended my life.

 

© 2009 Babbette Francis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

When you wrote the part about never leaving that place my first instinct was that she was deceased and her spirit lingered in that place of perfection. It was sad to read the ending with her beau. He mourned out his days in regret when all she wanted was for him to notice her again and help him. At the rate he goes, she will see him and embrace him soon.

Your first two sentences pulled me in. I am new here, looking for writers to read. You pulled me in and captured my imagination with that short story. It gives me some perspective on how I can write here now. For the past 8 years, I have written for one site, which has crippled my diversity in writing. Besides being a good post, your words have given me direction on how to write and post my first article.

Also, this was saddly entertaining. I can see this story becoming more if you decide to expand it. Thanks for posting.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Uh...dang it, your're not supposed to leave me speechless! What an ending, what a way to create such a beautifully crafted story with such emotion and character in so few words. Absolutely incredible. I know this story was a time and an age ago, but I believe it still should be recognized.

Posted 8 Years Ago


this is so compelling!! absolutely amazing work cousin!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


wow, babbette, phenomonal piece of work, i loved it, the entire idea, wording, literacy in scope of
form and quality, an amazing story and a fun reading experience.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Oh dang Babs that was heart stopping sad... the end gave me goose bumps... all it takes is one tragic event to change a life... like many she projected the guilt she was feeling elsewhere, but you told it in a spine chilling manner.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

773 Views
5 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 19, 2009
Last Updated on October 19, 2009

Author

Babbette Francis
Babbette Francis

Merryville, LA



About
Its been years since I've written anything on this site but I entered a story in a contest and would like to see what becomes of it. I guess we'll see how that turns out. You can say I'm new again an.. more..

Writing