Winter Man

Winter Man

A Poem by John Baryn

                      WINTER

 

It may appear strange on a cold winter’s day,

To see me walk slowly by,

With my hat, my coat, my walking stick.

Winter Man, Winter Day, Winter Sky.

 

I met my love one sun filled day,

Making heart and pulse beat fast.

My one, my only, true loves ray.

Spring Woman, Spring Love, Spring Past.

 

To fall so in love, to be loved the same.

Yours my love;  always I vow.

Waking, sleeping or sharing loves pain.

Summer Man. Summer Woman. Summer Now.

 

We know it's time, when summer is done,

The nights ever dark become cold.

When we cheerfully greet the days as they come.

Autumn Days, Autumn Years, Autumn Gold.

 

My seasons are gone, I now walk alone

My thoughts are tears in my eyes.

I still see her here, ‘though she’s not coming back.

Winter Man, Winter Days, Winter Skies.

© 2012 John Baryn


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

John, this is a truly lovely piece. The way you have taken a life, with all its gladnesses and sorrows, and analogized it to the passage of a year is quite inspired--rather reminds me of Whitman's Leaves of Grass, but I prefer yours, frankly, as blank verse is not my thing!
By the way, if you are interested, one of the very best writers on this Site is David Paget, and he is a "neighbor" of yours, from Moonta, NSW. You really ought to check him out.
And, for the record, you need not be reticent about the offering of constructive criticism. None of us is above the occasional typo, or tense or number shift, or style gaffe, and those of us who truly are students of our craft will appreciate you, so long as your comments remain well-intended. It is only those who suck and know it that persist in getting their feelings hurt and we of the former category have long since learned that they want nothing but vacuous praise, rather than help in becoming better. For my part, I will welcome anything you have to offer, now that I have read your stuff and adjudge you a high-caliber writer. Can hardly wait to see more of you!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Sam, I am in total agreement this masterpiece needs a Master's review. I loved this it is smooth and elegant, positive though lonely.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I wish I was better at giving reviews because this gentle, inspired, poignant work deserves more than mere words can tell. BTW, we're both navy men of the same age.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 20, 2012
Last Updated on March 20, 2012

Author

John Baryn
John Baryn

New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand



About
Born 1948 at Grays, Essex, England the eldest of five children, John Baryn joined the Royal Navy in1965 and travelled the world. On transfering to the Royal New Zealand Navy in 1972, he met and marrie.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..