Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
The Dream

The Dream

A Story by Solynara
"

Inspired by Lady Macbeth's sleep walk.This is what i consider the very first short story i ever wrote. It was actually an essay for the GCSE English AS course. I got a B+ for it :P Enjoy...i think :P

"
Drip.Drip.Drip…the heavy rain smacked against my window. The church bells mourned the fallen of this cursed World War II. The bombs outside deafened me…killed me. When will this storm clear, I wonder?  When will the war come to an end? When will black abandon the skies of England?

My mother called me into the living room; Strange!  What was my Fiance, Charle's mother doing here. Why was she dressed in black? Why was she weeping? She could not speak. She only handed me a telegram, wet with her tears. My hands shook as I held it, and shook even more as each word of condolence made it's imprint on my mind. What could condolence do in such cases? Just hollow words of comfort;just words..but even words could kill. I could not complete the telegram. The last I read were 2 words that declare the end of the war, and the world: "Charle's death". I read these words and I knew no more. The whole world faded to black

When I woke up the next day, Sun shimmered through my window. Birds tweeted at my window. A day could not have been more perfect. The sky could not have been clearer, bluer or more beautiful. I put my white dress on. Charles loves that dress. I am off to meet him now. I've got a date with him. I walked cheerfully down the road  to the Café where we love to have breakfast together. He was there, waiting with his steaming hot chocolate.  He smiled that gentle smile that always sent me on cloud nine as his sky blue eyes met my dark ones. He kissed my hand, pulled me a chair on our special table, and we talked and talked and talked. We talked about Politics, we cursed Hitler, made jokes of him, we talked of books, of music, of life after our marriage, we fought about living room furniture for our coming home, we argued about our children's names. Anthony?? What kind of name is this?? It is too old! We laughed and laughed and laughed. Nothing has changed. It's as beautiful as always. And it shall never be any less beautiful.
The next date was in the club. The pink, the orange, the hushed blue and white all tinged the sky in the romantic sunset.  He told me he wanted to relax with a good game of golf. "Even a mighty pilot in the English army like myself needs a break" he said jokingly. We played together. He beat me as usual. That little devil! He laughed at my frustration and the stomping of my feet like a 3 year old whose father beat her in a race, and I was more frustrated at his laughter. He surely is so skilled in the art of driving me crazy.

Days passed, and the dates continued. That last date was nothing like I expected though. That day he didn't come. I waited in the café alone. Lovers came and went around me, and I was alone. My chest clenched. Something was not right. I ran in the streets, heavy rain pouring down my hair. The colors of the sky darkened as the storm clouds made their way through it, hiding the sun..killing it.  The church bells sung a lullaby for the dead,  and I ran. When I reached the door to his apartment, I knocked and knocked. Yet It was not Charle's soft voice that answered me. Another voice answered me. Weary and broken with tears that were shed for so long. A woman. "What is it, dear Lily?" she asked. My eyes went foggy for an instant. The voice aroused me from what seemed like a deep slumber. The old form of Mrs Anderson, Charle's mother, stood before me at his door. "Hello Mrs Anderson..Could-Could you call for Charles? He didn't show up for our date today..Is he sick?" I asked, though I had the feeling the answer will never satisfy me. Mrs Aderson stared at me in deep wonder, like I was talking in riddles. Was there something not understandable in what I said? I was wrong though. "Charles is gone, Lily. Dead" she said gravely and shut the door upon me.

Night fell upon me. It was a night darker than black, only illuminated by the faint white of the moonlight. I collapsed to my knees. My whole being shook with sobs as my tears got lost in the pouring rain. He was gone. I am such a fool!! How could I not believe? I want to sleep. Sleep and never wake up.

And yet something happened. Something marvelous. It was him. He was wearing his pilot suit. His blond hair glimmered in the moonlight. His deep, blue eyes met with mine as the tenderest smile drew on his lips. He extended a hand for me. I took his hand. Bells of  the church mourned harder..louder,sadder and......

The sun shimmered through my open window, waking me up. I got off my bed to find clothes soaking with water and my dripping hair tangled in an awful mess. Yet I was happy. I reached for my desk drawer to get an "R" shaped necklace. Charles gave me this before he went to this flight. I never understood why he got me an "R" that day, when my name was an "L" and his was a "C". Now I knew why. I held the necklace of REMEMBRANCE close to my chest, closed my eyes and smiled...Remembered. I was right. They were all wrong. He was not gone. He will always be there. I shall grow old, and he shall still be ever so young. The church bells sang a happy symphony announcing a child has been born

© 2014 Solynara


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is such an emotional story.....i loved it.... u r an intense writer!! Way to go :) :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Solynara

9 Years Ago

YAAY first review. Thank you so much ^_^
Free_Soul

9 Years Ago

You are welcome :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
1 Review
Added on April 14, 2014
Last Updated on April 14, 2014
Tags: short story, tragedy, drama, romance, psycology, sleep-walking, memory

Author

Solynara
Solynara

Cairo, Nasr City, Egypt



About
a Normal girl in an abnormal world I am a 19 years old, amateur writer. I write short stories and sometimes Poems. I am a college freshman, and i study in the faculty of languages I seek a pu.. more..

Writing
Toy Story Toy Story

A Poem by Solynara