The Coffee I Purchased in the Student Lounge

The Coffee I Purchased in the Student Lounge

A Poem by James Horsley
"

A very true story. A little humor to lighten the mood.

"

The coffee was rat piss-

simply that

It came from a machine that I put sixty cents into

Obviously you can’t expect gourmet coffee from those things,

but this was ridiculous

 

6-E-1-4

I pressed,

the combination for a café mocha

Of course it would be no more than weak coffee

made with low grade beans

and copious amounts of hot chocolate powder to sweeten the bland concoction

 

The coffee didn’t bite, nor was it weak per se

It had a definite flavor-

A flavor that didn’t start off or end in any way

it just sat on my tongue, making me aware of it’s annoying presence

 

Much like if I were in a room with one other man,

who said nothing,

who never smiled, but never frowned,

and dressed entirely in a dull grey-

I would know he was there, but he certainly wouldn’t be the most colorful company

In fact he would only make things awkward, and neither of us would be the better off for having shared this time together

 

And so it continued until the final dregs…

But I digress

 

The coffee was rat piss-

simply that

 

 

© 2008 James Horsley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Don
This is something I can sooooooo relate to! Never ever trust made-to-order drinks from a vending machine....lol
I normally prefer poems of rhyme, but free verse such as this can really take the cake when written from a heartfelt position. I think you can just feel everything better through free verse if it is written and read properly.I believe this is the 1st free verse poem I've ever seen where it ended with the same lines it started with. This just gave your piece that much more pazazz and sealed it to perfection! This was a splendid, humorous read and I thank you for sharing it with us.Better luck next time you chance the vending machine.
Don

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

An entertaining poetic rant; I too enjoyed the parallels drawn with a silent grey man in the room, and also the build-up to your conclusion. It's a very human process that you've demonstrated here: to make a bold statement, then try to adjust your opinion so that it's more diplomatic...then deciding that no, you were right in the first place.

Good write, sorry it's taken so long for me to drop by. Long time no speak.

p.s.
"making me aware of it’s annoying presence" [its]

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love your humor.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jamie, I believe I too have been to that machine. I thought the hot chocolate was good sometimes, but most of the time it was watered down. Now, the new machine sucks! A buck for a small cop of hot cocoa, no freakin way! The first day they had the machine in I had pure water.... yuck!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

love it dude

i like your styler

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your imagery is impeccable here James. Sorry it's taken me so long to get here.

I would know he was there, but he certainly wouldn't be the most colorful company
In fact he would only make things awkward, and neither of us would be the better off for having shared this time together

The above is my favorite part. I love the way you ended this piece. Perfect. Nothing more..nothing less. 100 peaches!!



Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow. You're the only writer I know who can rant poetically and about coffee at that. This is quick, witty, and biting (pun intended). The comparison with the gray-suited man is surprisingly effective and accurate. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very appealing, the opening about coffee and the continual comparison to a dull companion.
I like that there is no true point other than yor describing the coffee; that or there is something more, and you used th simple yet complex coffee description to carry it out.

Very appealing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Don't you just hate that???????

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

LOL.... perhaps one reason I'm a tea-totler!!! Although... McDonald's figured out a way to make even tea gross. You have my sympathies... as we know how important caffienated beverages are to our society!!!
Fun read!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

James, we buy you books, send you to school, did nobody ever tell you how to get a good cup of coffee on campus?

Did I tell you that I may attend a poetry event at EKU next week? I'm going to take my oldest daughter out of school for the afternoon. Ever heard of Affrilachian Poets? I came it across it all accidentally. A conversation with a woman in Frankfort about Frank X. Walker.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

439 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 13, 2008

Author

James Horsley
James Horsley

Worthington, KY



About
Well, it's been a very long time since I've been on Writerscafe. I'm James Horsley, composing poetry was my first love, and posting it on writerscafe was my favorite way to share it with people. I wa.. more..

Writing
Lie Lie

A Poem by James Horsley



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..