Her Final Farewell

Her Final Farewell

A Story by devon

“Goodbye, love.” He nods as this, and then turns to join the brigade of men beginning to assemble in the field to the right. She blows a kiss, her final farewell, in his direction. As the tears fall silently and grace the softness of her cheeks, she walks away from her lover and onto the cobblestoned street.

 

--♦--

 

            Some years later, she sat by the edge of the sea. She watched the sun rise over the water, content to let it appease her mind. Her thoughts returned to her lover, and she wondered if he was looking out over the vast horizon, thinking of the woman he had left behind. The idea made her heart swell and her chest tighten. Everyday she came to this spot. Everyday she sat and daydreamed of her lover’s return home to her. She longed to be held in his arms once more.

            On a particularly gloomy morning, heavy with fog and silence, there was a knock upon the woman’s door. Standing before her, tall, proud and broad shouldered, stood a soldier.

            He was not her lover.

            “Ma’am,” he began. “I am sorry to inform you that William McKay was lost at sea during an ambushed attack on his brigade.”

            She began to weep violently, and leaned against the young soldier for support, fore weeping requires one’s whole body to mourn-- it is the result of the deepest of sorrows.

 

 

--♦--

 

            The woman stood on the shoreline, diligently scanning every inch of the water. Twenty years had passed, yet she was still awaiting her lover’s return from sea. Day after day she unfailingly visits the ocean, beckoning the waves to drag the lost man to shore.

            It was a sweet, summer day; she sat on a rickety, old bench that sat on the sand of the beach. Her eyes continued to search the horizon as she thought of the man who had left her behind all those years ago. She was busy continuing her vigil, until she heard something that made her heart stop completely.

            Two women that sat on the bench opposite her were reading The Daily Chronicles. They spoke of the front pages news which read: Lost Soldier’s Body Found on Shore. The woman knew they spoke of her William. She had never been so sure of anything in her life, other than the fact that she had always loved him.

            Her lover was not coming home to her. She would never feel the comfort of his arms around her again. She would not know of his love again. With these thoughts, she reached up a shaking arm to her heart and fell to the ground.

            The next day, the doctors declared her dead of a broken heart.

© 2012 devon


Author's Note

devon
A short story I wrote and liked. I hope you enjoy it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very sad story. I lost many good friends to these useless wars. I was a Soldier for 15 years. I learn after I was done the pain I caused by volunteering for every dangerous mission I could. The story was written with proper tenderness. I do believe people can died from a broken heart. I have known woman who lost their husbands to war. No words can cure the pain. A good ending to a outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Mir
This tugged at my heart. :'( It was amazing! And beautiful and such a sad, sad, tragic, short, love story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


"PAIN"..."PAIN"...N ONLY N ONLY JUST "PAIN"...that's wht i saw...This's really a every HEARTBREAK story...how much she does love him, it reflects from her heart...(painful heart)...
she has lost him when she knew she does survive to think about him...does wait for him, by an ocean, that one day his man''ll come n 'll get her again into his arms...but it doesn't happen...
thn at last when she knew that his man won't come back again from this ocean then she onself leaves this sight n moves towards him....to find him...in heaven...
offcourse she'd b meet with him in heaven...!!

you know what, your skills're well developed i think...you should have to make your own book as a author n launch in a market....if you do this then believe me you'd gonna be a great writer in big names....

very painful write...you made me emotional indeed...i've controlled my tears, but if there'e something more about it, i really then couldn't control my tears....well penned once again...your poetric n storic both ways're damn good....

Have this from me for you 100/100...
well write...you're a great writer...
Have a nice writin'
take care ;)

Posted 10 Years Ago


You have real skill as a writer. I can tell you're young, but the ability is there, just waiting to be refined, to be developed. In fact, there's already great balance in your style. I love your minimalism. Be daring and innovative. The challenge is to develop a unique style that's yours alone, but don't give up. You have promise.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very sad story. I lost many good friends to these useless wars. I was a Soldier for 15 years. I learn after I was done the pain I caused by volunteering for every dangerous mission I could. The story was written with proper tenderness. I do believe people can died from a broken heart. I have known woman who lost their husbands to war. No words can cure the pain. A good ending to a outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have a gift, my dear, for putting vivid images in my mind as I read your writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This story is so touching and heart felt. I really enjoyed this write.
The set up was amazing as well. Much enjoyed!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

409 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 16, 2012
Last Updated on April 19, 2012

Author

devon
devon

GA



About
devon | 18 | wannabe writer more..

Writing
Mother Nature Mother Nature

A Poem by devon



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Save me Save me

A Poem by Becky Clancy