Prompt 7... Kate

Prompt 7... Kate

A Story by Jamie
"

For contest

"
Bang! The cell door slams shut and I hear a frail whimper, "I was just hungry." I turn to see a small dirty figure huddled by the bars. "What's your name, kid?" My voice sounds like nails after keeping silent so long. "Kate. What's yours?" "I'm Adrien. What'd you do kiddo?" She begins rocking back and forth crying, "All I did was take an apple! I was so hungry. See my belly? It is so small. I can count all of my ribs without even touching them. Daddy used to count my ribs and tickle me like this. See? 1 2 3 4 5 6..." She trails off probably thinking about her daddy. I feel a pang of sadness and my heart breaks for little Kate. "How old are you, kiddo?" She smiles weakly, "I'll be seven next March. March 21st! Mommy was gonna make me a special cake with strawberries. They were my favorite. Pink was my favorite too." She looks down at her oversized orange jumpsuit and slides her hands into the sleeves, waving the floppy ends, giggling. I smile involuntarily, "Ain't you a bit young to be in jail, honey?" She freezes momentarily and shrugs, "I dunno. I just took an apple is all. I didn't do nothin real important, Ari. " I smile, Ari, she already gave me a nickname. How about Katie? No. Too plain. Kitty? Yeah! Kitty. "Hey, kid. How about while you're here, we can be friends. Okay?" She nods wildly, "Okay, Ari." I chuckle, "Okay, Kitty."
I notice a guard coming up the hallway. Clop, clop, clop, clop... He unlocks the door and it swings open with a creek, "Katelyn Groves? I'm gonna have to have you come with me. " I scowl, confused, "Sir, she just got here. What is the purpose for keeping a kid in prison? What does that amount to?" He nods in agreement, "exactly why we're dealing with the problem now. C'mon Miss Groves." "Dealing with The problem? What problem?!" He smiles malevolently, "Or rather getting rid of the problem. Come along now, Miss Groves." I put my arms around her protectively. "No! You can't take her! Ain't nobody gonna take my Kitty!" Surprisingly, he just shrugs and lifts us both to our feet and drags us from the cell. He steers us down a long hallway, and I have déjà vu. I feel like Flynn Rider in Tangled being dragged to the gallows. I'm just hoping for my own set of thugs to save me. We reach the door, and it swings open automatically. I faint from pure terror. Goodbye, Kitty, my sweet, sweet Kitty.

© 2014 Jamie


Author's Note

Jamie
Excuse bad grammar. I wince writing it. Hope you enjoy my story!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

nicely written Jamie. short but good. you followed the prompt and it's almost believable. sorry but I have to repeat myself. it's a strange situation and it needs a clever idea to make it acceptable. that is my personal opinion. if I were you, I'd make it like a mistake. the guard thinking the cell empty, for instance? or possibly, there's a shortage of cells and the guard is forced to put you together but not before warning you (I mean the adult) not to try anything weird: "I've got my eye on you, punk!" sort of thing.

that's my honest and personal opinion. apart from that, you did a good job with the story overall.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jamie

9 Years Ago

Thanks! I'll try to work that in.



Reviews

nicely written Jamie. short but good. you followed the prompt and it's almost believable. sorry but I have to repeat myself. it's a strange situation and it needs a clever idea to make it acceptable. that is my personal opinion. if I were you, I'd make it like a mistake. the guard thinking the cell empty, for instance? or possibly, there's a shortage of cells and the guard is forced to put you together but not before warning you (I mean the adult) not to try anything weird: "I've got my eye on you, punk!" sort of thing.

that's my honest and personal opinion. apart from that, you did a good job with the story overall.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jamie

9 Years Ago

Thanks! I'll try to work that in.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

408 Views
1 Review
Added on December 23, 2014
Last Updated on December 26, 2014

Author

Jamie
Jamie

Elsewhere, AR



About
I love to write dark fiction! Especially plays and short novellas. Any critiques would be highly appreciated! I love to read poetry and gripping storylines of any kind. Good luck to all in their quest.. more..

Writing
Priorities Priorities

A Story by Jamie