Beautiful Voices

Beautiful Voices

A Stage Play by Jamie
"

Girl goes crazy hearing voices in her head.

"

Beautiful Voices

Written by: Jamie Hall

CLARY- 15, shy writer who lives in a world of her characters and fantasy, likes Cal

MOTHER- strict, old-fashioned, very opinionated, doesn’t support Clary’s writing, very friendly when they have company, kind of silly at times

FATHER- same as mother, Physicist that works for a prestigious college, expects too much of Clary

CALLAHAN (CAL)- 17, popular boy, neighbor, friends with Clary, likes her

BALLERINA- character, from music box, graceful, hums her music-box song

LACEY DOLL- character, a clumsy china doll with a crack on her arm, has a big heart

PRINCESS- character, elegant, narcissistic, friends with Ballerina, bossy, know-it-all

JESTER PUPPET- character, mischievous, corny jokes, best friends with Lacey Doll

KYNA- character, owl, wise, motherly, mom of Calypso, takes care of all of the characters

CALYPSO- character, songbird, joyful, light blue, fun loving, best friends with Cleo

CLEO- character, monkey, flexible (does lots of tricks), optimistic, bubbly, happy, airheaded

FELIX- character, fox, sly, mischievous, smooth, charismatic

GEORGIA- Seemingly apathetic psychiatrist who kind of breaks Clary by trying to do what is best for her

CHARLOTTE, DINAH, TRACEY, FIONA- Psychiatrist’s aides and assistants

Scene One

Setting- livingroom of Clary’s house

On stage- Mother making a list and mumbling to herself words like milk or we need eggs every once in a while

(Clary walks in and looks excited.)

MOTHER: Hello, Clary. How was your day at school today?

CLARY: Great! I got the letter back from--

MOTHER: So, how did your Algebra EOC go? You made a stellar grade, I presume?

CLARY: Well…I made an 89…but I still have the summer course I am taking starting next week! Anyway,--

MOTHER: That is unacceptable, Clary! I will not allow my daughter to succumb to a life of mediocrity! This is outrageous! Preposterous, even! (Clary begins to try to get her mother’s attention as she rants) Oh! My daughter will end up a--

CLARY: Mom.

MOTHER: -- washed up!--

CLARY: Mom!

MOTHER: --frumpy, old--

CLARY: MOM!

MOTHER: --MILKMAID!!!

(CLARY pauses, confused by her mother’s choice of words)

CLARY: Wait, wait, wait!…Milkmaid?--Why, milkmaid? (shakes her head at the craziness of her mother) Anyways, it is okay that I made an 89.

MOTHER: Why might that be, young lady? (fuming still)

CLARY: Because it rounds up to a 90! I got 89.5, not just an 89.

MOTHER: (pursing her lips) Do better next time.

CLARY: Now will you hear my news?

MOTHER: (sighs) I suppose.

CLARY: Alright! So, I entered this contest with my short stories…you know?…The Dollhouse?…In the Jungle? Do those names ring a bell? (waits, sighs, goes on) Well, I entered them into a nationwide literature contest for a chance for a book deal, and…and my stories tied for first place!!!

MOTHER: (preoccupied) That’s great, honey. Now go upstairs and finish your psychology  assignment.

CLARY: (deflated) Yes, ma’am. (sarcastically) Yay, psychology. Woo-hoo. Exclamation point.



Scene Two

Setting- a few minutes later in Clary’s room

On stage- Clary sits writing at a desk, talking to herself


CLARY: I can’t believe her! I do well in all of my subjects, have a 4.0 GPA, and do all of the extracurricular activities she expects me to! Is that not good enough for her?!? I guess not. At least I can start editing my stories. Peace and quiet at last. (sighs) “The Dollhouse” (voice brightens and gets more enthusiastic) My dollhouse was like no other dollhouse on the face of the planet. It had pink shutters and a green-tiled roof with ivy racing up the walls. Inside I put all of my treasures: (as she describes each character, they walk onstage) a puppet that looked like a court jester, complete with a jingly three-pointed hat and elven shoes; a china doll I named Lacey for her frilly, blue dress; and a music box ballerina who wore a beautiful, pink ballet outfit. Her music box sang my favorite song. I also had a princess Barbie that even though frozen still, had an air about her that showed her elegance and sense of etiquette.  They all lived very happily together in the dollhouse.

(Clary continues writing [spotlight on Clary dims and goes out] and walks off after Lacey’s line.)

LACEY: C’mon everyone! I think I hear someone coming. (sits down limp leaned against Jester as Clary walks in, all characters pose or become limp)

CLARY: Hey, guys! Hello? Oh, please? I know you can hear me!  Jester? (picks up Jester and makes him move with “strings”) Lacey? (Drags Lacey up and makes her drink “tea”) Ballerina? (spins Ballerina slowly in a circle and her music plays) Princess? (strokes Princess’ hair and cries) Anyone? C’mon! I invented you! Please?

LACEY: (gasps as if she was holding her breath) Oh! I’m sorry, guys! I just felt so bad leaving her like this…all alone. (holds out hand for her to shake) I’m Lacey.

CLARY: I know! I made you, created you…How can I see you?

LACEY: What?! You can see us? How?

(Princess unfreezes, rolls her eyes)

PRINCESS: She’s the author. We’re in her head, smart one. (turns to Clary) I’m Princess. A pleasure to meet you, Clary.

CLARY: Yeah. Great meeting you, too. Why won’t they wake up?

PRINCESS: Hold on a second. Ballerina! Jester! Wake your sorry tails up! It’s rude to ignore the author!

(Ballerina unfreezes and gasps)

BALLERINA: The author! Oh! I am Ballerina of the land of Music Box-topia.

(Jester unfreezes and chuckles)

JESTER: Music Box-topia?!?!?! What kind of name is that, Ballerina!? If you’re going to be fancy-like, at least do it right! (turns to Clary) Hello. I am Jesterre Pupett the fourth of the southern Isle of the United Provinces called Derbyshire-topia. Pleased to be in the presence of such a wonderful maiden, the most wonderful maiden if I do say so myself, and I do. (kisses Clary’s hand)

PRINCESS: Puh-leez! Seriously, guys? You all are puh-the-tic! I mean, come on! It isn’t like she’s important. (clears throat) Your ladyship. (curtsies)

CLARY: Alrighty then! I never thought I would really meet my characters! How am I doing this again?

BALLERINA: Technically, you are still sitting in that desk in your room. We are in your mind--

MOTHER: (offstage) Clary? Are you up there? Clary! Come down for dinner!

CLARY: Oh no! Wake up! Wake UP! (lights go down and Clary sits in desk, characters walk off, lights come up) Come on, Clary! Wake up! (Mother walks in)

MOTHER: Who are you talking to, Clary? I thought I heard voices…

CLARY: What! No one was up here! Only me! Nope, no one else…but me.

MOTHER: Okay. Come on down for dinner now.  

CLARY: Fine. (whispering) Goodbye, friends. (walks offstage)

Scene Three

Setting- living room after dinner

On stage- Clary, Mother, Father, and Cal sit talking

MOTHER: So, Cal, how have you been? We’re neighbors, yet I seem to not know you anymore! It seems like just yesterday you were in diapers! And I have this one picture of you and Clary in the bathtub--

CLARY: Mom!

CAL: It’s okay, Clare-Bear. Yes, Mrs. O’Malley. Uh...well...I play some sports now and I play guitar in a band and I--

FATHER: Ooh! A band? What’s it called?

CAL: Erm...Black Roses of Death...We’re not that widely known. We play heavy me--

CLARY: Cal! That’s great! Why don’t you tell us about football!

CAL: Um, okay. I’m the starting quarterback, number 19, and I wear a mouth guard, and I wear a purple jersey, and I say “Hut!” really loud to make everything start! (smiles widely)

FATHER: Typically quarterbacks do all of those things.

CLARY: (laughing awkwardly) Cal’s just kidding! Aren’t ya, Cal?

CAL: I am? Yeah, sure!

MOTHER: Well, I’m getting tired. (yawns) Aren’t you, Phil?

FATHER: Sure am, Dianne. Maybe we should go to bed, give you two some time to catch up. After all, Callahan has been out of town for quite some time.

CAL: Three days, exactly, sir.

CLARY: Like Dad said: ages. ‘Night, Mom! ‘Night, Dad!

(they murmur their goodnights and walk offstage)

CAL: Sorry I acted so weird a second ago. I just knew it would scare your parents off.

CLARY: No, no, Cal, you didn’t scare them off!--

CAL: I did so! And that was exactly what I meant to do!

CLARY: (startled) You did not!

CAL: You better believe it!

CLARY: Callahan Frank McEntire! You little--

CAL: You know you love me for it!

CLARY: I know! (sighs and pauses)

CAL: Why have you been avoiding me at school, Clary?

CLARY: Have not!

CAL: Don’t lie to me, Clary. What about me at school freaks you out? I’m still the same old Callahan Frank McEntire.

CLARY: Not really. You act as if I don’t exist. You hang out with that awful Brittany girl. I would be lucky to get a small little smile or a glance my way from you.

CAL: It’s not like that, Clary.

CLARY: But it is, Callahan. I stopped trying.

CAL: I guess I got the wrong message.

CLARY: What message were you thinking?

CAL: I just thought…that you…had feelings for me.

CLARY: What? I...I…

CAL: Forget it. It was stupid of me to think of it. Perfect Clarissa Jane O’Malley being attracted to the idiotic football player. Unheard of.

CLARY: Cal? What are you talking ab--

CAL: Just forget it. I was just leaving. Bye, Clary.

(Clary sits on couch, sighs, and lights go down)


Scene Four

Setting- a few minutes later in Clary’s room

On stage- Clary sits writing at a desk, talking to herself

CLARY: What was that?!?! I’m so confused! I mean, Cal? That’s totally unreasonable that he could like me! Is it possible? Yeah. I guess that if he likes me, I could like…him…too. No, no, no, no, no! No! I can’t like Callahan McEntire! Nope, not happening!…Could it? (shakes the thought from her head and sighs) I need to finish editing In the Jungle for the publishers. “In the Jungle” (characters walk on as she describes them) Cleo and Calypso were best friends, and they spent all day playing in the great, big jungle they called home. Cleo was a playful monkey who loved to trick others, and Calypso was a beautiful blue songbird who sang all of the time. They lived with their odd mismatched family of a monkey, songbird, owl, and fox. Kyna, the loving, motherly owl, took care of all of the others. One fox in particular needed a lot of looking after. His name was Felix. He was always getting into mischief much like his younger sister, Cleo. They always had the best time playing games and dancing and singing.

(Clary continues writing [spotlight on Clary dims and goes out] and walks off after Kyna’s line.)

KYNA: Felix! Stop pulling your sister’s ear! Cleo! Just because your brother decides it’s okay to pull out Calypso’s feathers doesn’t mean you can pull out his whiskers! CALYPSO! How many times have I told you not to even think about eating those juju berries! You know they give you, well, you know, the runs.

ALL: Ewww!

CALYPSO: Mooooooooooooooooom! Stop being so embarrassing! You know I have digestive problems! Besides, juju berries are gross anyway.

CLEO: (upside down in a backbend) Hey guys! I think I hear something coming!

FELIX: Are they lions?

CALYPSO: Or tigers?

(Clary walks onstage and up behind Cleo silently)

CLEO: Or bears?

CLARY: Oh my!

(all characters act startled and Cleo’s handstand collapses)

KYNA: And who might you be?

FELIX: I have never seen such an odd looking mole rat in my life!

CLARY: Mole rat?! I’m not a mole rat! I am human!

CLEO: (screams loudly then suddenly stops) What’s a human? Are you the creepy, ugly, scary monster that Auntie Kyna told us about?! (screams again)

KYNA: Cleo! Cleo! Cleo. Calm down. Humans are very nice. Aren’t they…Clarissa O’Malley, isn’t it?

CLARY: Yes. We are very, very nice, Cleo. (Cleo does a few back walkovers in a row, laughs) Anyway, Kyna, how do you know my name?

KYNA: For centuries there have been legends of a human who would come and change our world forever. I think that’s you, Clarissa O’Malley. You are going to make our home, this jungle, a better place.

CLARY: But I thought I wrote you a happy ending!

FELIX: What did you say?

CLARY: I wrote you a--

CALYPSO: Wait! You’re the author? Like the author?

FELIX: If you’re the author, then that means--

KYNA: That means she can help us. Clarissa, can you rewrite our story?

CLARY: Why do I need to change the story? Are you not happy here, Kyna?

KYNA: Well, after The End many of the animals got confused, lost themselves in crazes. They forgot who they were! I just want you to help us help them! Can you?

CLARY: No, I can’t. I can’t change my story.

KYNA: Why not, may I ask?

CLARY: I’ve already sent it in for publishing.

(collective gasp)

ALL: Why is this happening to us? We never did anything wrong, did we? I told you she was a monster!

CLARY: I’m sorry! I never knew such bad things could happen to you all!

KYNA: Well, what is done is done. The poor girl never knew that this would be our demise. Calm down, everyone! I am sure we can find a way to get out of this mess!

CLARY: What are you talking about? That’s what writers do, right? Right?!

FELIX: Actually, the writers that previously have written about animals were smart enough to write a resolution! You on the other hand did not! Your exact words were “...they were happy, but it’s up to you to decide what happens next...The End.” How stupid can you be? I mean, c’mon!

CLARY: How was I to know that--

FELIX: You are a genius! Did you ever learn in your English class to--I don’t know-- end your story!!!

CLARY: I was trying to change it up a little bit. I don’t know! I don’t know.

CALYPSO: Lay off, Felix! She didn’t know, okay!

FELIX: Obviously she just said that! It isn’t an excuse, Calypso! Besides, she…she…she wrote my character to be snide and critical, so it isn’t my fault! Another mistake of our precious Clarissa O’Malley! Why I bet she even--

MOM: Clary! It’s time for you to go to bed! Do you know what time it is? It’s almost three in the morning! You’re not skipping school because you’re going to be tired tomorrow! Who are you talking to? Is there a boy in your room? There is a boy in your room!

CLARY: Mother, there is no boy in my bedroom, okay? I am perfectly alone. I…was just reading a very exciting book! (picks up a random volume off the shelf) The Wonders of Wildlife Psychology and Sociology. My favorite!

MOM: One of mine, too! I didn’t know you enjoyed animal sciences! What is your favorite part? Mine is when the scientist realizes that the squirrels want a divorce and are having a custody battle in court!

CLARY: Wow, Mom! You read my mind! That’s my favorite, too! You’re good!

MOM: I am pretty slick, aren’t I? I’m smooth! Booyah!

CLARY: We don’t say ‘booyah’ anymore, Mom.

MOM: Oh…Well, goodnight, Clary!

CLARY: (laying down) Goodnight, Mom.

Scene Five

Setting- living room, on couch

On stage- Clary and Cal sit doing homework


CAL: So, you add x to 17, and you get 36? That doesn't make sense! (Scoots closer to Clary)

CLARY: I know, but if you take y and subtract 73 it gets 79x. You get it now?

CAL: Sure. You doing anything on Saturday?

CLARY: No. You want to come over then and finish this up?

CAL: (clearly bummed) Yeah, sounds good. After that maybe we could go to the park, have a picnic? To celebrate?

CLARY: Sure. That sounds good. Spring Park okay with you?

CAL: Yeah. Spring Park is great.

CLARY: So, I'll see you tomorrow?

CAL: Yeah!

CLARY: Bye, Cal.

CAL: Huh? Oh, yeah. See ya'round. (Walks offstage) Yes!

CLARY: This means...I get a date with Callahan McEntire! He really likes me! What am gonna wear? How will I do my hair? My makeup? Eeek! (all characters walk onstage)

LACEY: This is great! I'll do her hair, Princess can pick her clothes, and Ballerina can do her makeup! La da la da da da! It'll be perfect!!!

CALYPSO: What about us???

PRINCESS: I highly doubt that Clary wants animals prepping her for a date! Do you all even use silverware? Ewww! That is the epitome of unsanitary-ness!

FELIX: And that's the epitome of stupidness! At least we know how to speak! You, being a princess, should know that that you are the epitome of insanity! Not only stupidity!

CLARY: Hold up! It's my date, not yours! I'll decide. I agree with Lacey, but I think that Kyna should help me with my hair, too. Cleo can do makeup with Ballerina, and Calypso can help Princess pick my outfit! Problem solved! Right, guys?

ALL:  (mutter all at the same time one of these phrases) Sure, whatever, you can't make me, or not! I refuse to work with animals, I don’t do glitter!

CLARY: Guys! I am the one going on a date, not you, okay? (sighs) Okay, I’m freaking out! Did you see his eyes? They’re so sparkly! (silence) I’m sorry, just having a girl moment here! I don’t have them very often.

MOM: What’s going on up there, Clarissa?

CLARY: Mom, can I ask you a question?

MOM: Yes, Clary, anything you want.

CLARY: Well, there’s this guy, and--

MOM: Yes! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! You like that boy Kevin, from your science class! That is so adorable!

CLARY: No, Mom! EWWWW! It isn’t Kevin Vickenburger! That’s gross!

MOM: Well, then who is it?

CLARY: Cal.

MOM: But, I don’t understand! Your father and I heard what you and Cal were saying last night, and--

CLARY: Wait! You were eavesdropping on us!!! That is soooooooo uncool of you Mom! Really!

MOM: Well, I…I…gotta go fix dinner! I’m starving!

CLARY: It’s eleven-thirty, Mom. We ate dinner four hours ago. Chili, remember?

MOM: Oh, yeah! I forgot. That there was some good chili! (pause) I’m going downstairs now. Um, sleep well?

CLARY: Night, Mom. (sighs and collapses on bed)


Scene Six

Setting- the next afternoon in Clary’s room

On stage- Clary sits looking in a mirror, talking to Dollhouse Characters


PRINCESS: I refuse to work with vermin like them! They are animals! I am way above this absurdity! I don’t think I can do this, Clary! I hate feathers! Never liked them! Especially blue ones! Blue are the worst! I mean, I can stand pink, but--

LACEY: Cut it out, Princess! She is the one going on a date! If she wants feathers and fur and fuzz all over her that’s her choice! (sits down and pouts)

JESTER: Why is this so important? It’s just a stupid date!

ALL (but Jester): It just is!!!

BALLERINA: C’mon! The date is tonight! I don’t even know what I’m doing with her clothes! I’m a wreck! (pause) Do you like this one?

CLARY: Yes! That one’s beautiful! (In The Jungle characters walk on)

KYNA: Do I get a say? (beat) It doesn’t matter. You have to learn to dance!

CLARY: Why do I need to--

KYNA: Trust me. You’ll need it. Here. I’ll lead. You put your hand here…and here. Now, follow my lead! 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3…Yes! You’ve got it! That will work quite nicely! (doorbell rings) Oh! I think that would be…Cal!

CLARY: No, no, no, no! Now that I think about it-- I don’t think I want to do this, guys!

CLEO: Go get'em tiger!

CLARY: (playfully) I hate you guys! (opens door)

CAL: Hey, Clare. Um, you look…stunning. I, but, I thought (stutters)--

CLARY: How about we skip algebra?

CAL: Yeah. Uh, yeah. Spring Park still okay with you?

CLARY: (laughing) Yes. That’d be great, Cal. (Cal pulls Clary through the door to his truck)


Scene Seven

Setting-park, on blanket

On stage- Clary and Cal sit talking

CAL: …and so I said to him, “You know who you’re talkin’ to? Cal McEntire, star quarterback of Greenwood High!” and I think he about peed his pants!

CLARY: (laughing) Cal, if you wanna impress me you’re gonna have to lie better than that!

CAL: I guess. (beat) I got something to show you, Clare. (pulls out an iPod and clicks play on a slow classical song)

CLARY: What are you doing?

CAL: (bows overdramatically and uses an overdrawn British accent) May I have this dance, Lady Clarissa O of the Malley?

CLARY: (giggling) Why, yes, Sir Callahan Mac of the Entire.  (they start dancing to “Don't Wanna Miss A Thing” by Aerosmith with twirls and spins throughout, talk while dancing with pauses between each dialogue)

CAL: Well, you seem to have done this before.

CLARY: Well my owl taught me.

CAL: Huh?

CLARY: I mean…my mother. You know--she’s just soooo wise. I forget.

CAL: You forget to call her Mom? (beat) Anyway, I like this.

CLARY: This?

CAL: Yeah. Like…us.

CLARY: Us? (Cal nods) I like us, too, Cal. (beat) But will you be like this there? School, I mean. Will you let Brittany and Stephanie and Courtney and Zoey and--

CAL: I get it, okay! (they break apart) I’m sorry. I guess…I guess…

CLARY: You guess what?

CAL: They like me?

CLARY: (overdrawn) Cal!  Will you ever change!

CAL: I don’t know!

CLARY: You always have someone on your arm! That someone is never me. If you like me then why is it never me? (beat) I see how it is! I embarrass you, Cal, don’t I? You never look at me in the hallway for a fear of a tarnished reputation!

CAL: Maybe that’s the way it’s supposed to be, Clarissa! Maybe I’m the somebody and you’re the nobody! Not everyone can get the glory!

CLARY: I thought you were somebody! I thought I could like you and you like me! But, no! You are too stuck up to see love when it’s right under your nose! Urgh! You just play the game! I can play the game too, Cal! I hate us! There is no us! Drive me home. (beat) You know what? I’ll just call my owl to come pick me up! Bye, Cal.


Scene Eight

Setting- the next afternoon in Clary’s room

On stage- Clary sits  on bed, talking to  In the Jungle Characters


CLARY: …But Kyna! I thought he could change! I thought he was trying to like me! I thought--
CALYPSO: Maybe he was trying to do all of those things. You just expected him to do the opposite, so you saw it. It’s all about what you want to see, Clare Bear!

CLARY: Don’t call me that! Only Cal can call me that!

KYNA: Clarissa, Calypso’s right. You can’t beat yourself up over a 20 minute date! You didn’t give him the chance he deserved. Tomorrow morning, call him, okay? It’ll do you two enormous good.

CLARY: Thanks, Kyna. (Mom walks onstage unnoticed) I don’t know what I’d do without you!   

MOM: Who are you talking to?

CLARY: Kyna. One of my best friends.

MOM: Isn’t that the name of the owl in your story?

CLARY: Good! You did read them! I’m glad you aren’t freaked out about the talking owl in my room!

MOM: Who? (pause) Clary, there’s no one in your room other than you and me. (beat) Honey, are you feeling okay? You don’t look sick.

CLARY: I’m fine! And what do you mean ‘no one else here’? Kyna’s sitting right in front of me! (beat) Don’t you see her? (beat) Mom!

MOM: (bewildered) No, Clarissa, there’s no one there. See? (sits on one side of Clary) See! (pause) Harry! Harry, come here!

DAD: What is it, Dianne? Is Clarissa okay? Are you hurt?

CLARY: No, dad. We’re both fine. I just wanted to introduce her to one of my friends, and she freaked out. Mom, when was the last time you had your sight checked?

MOM: My vision is fine, Clarissa! Harry! She says there is a talking owl sitting next to her! Do you see it? You know, the one from her book, Kyna.

DAD: What in the name of behoozles are you talking about? We are the only ones in the room, Clarissa! What is this talk of an owl? If you want an owl for your birthday, then why don’t you just say so? You don’t need to cause such a ruckus!

MOM: Clary, honey, look at me. What are you seeing? We obviously can’t see it. Tell me calmly.

CLARY: Kyna is sitting right next to me, and she is a beautiful chocolate brown owl with starry blue eyes and-- you really can’t see her, can you?

DAD: And you can?

MOM: Harry, bring me her stories. I think they’re on her desk. (flips through a few pages to find a certain spot) Here in the dollhouse it says, “I became so entranced that now that I am grown, I hardly know what to do with myself! Lacey was my favorite, but because of that she was broken early on. No one believes me about the adventures we had…” Harry! She thinks she is inside her books! Maybe she thinks the characters are real! (turning to Clary) Honey, where are they now?

CLARY: Where are who?

MOM: Your, um, friends.  Where are they?

CLARY: Well, some of them are sitting right here! This is Calypso, and this is Cleo, Felix, and of course, you already met Kyna…The others are sleeping!

DAD: Sleeping where?

MOM: Yes, honey, sleeping where?

CLARY: Wherever they like. Lacey likes the hammock, Jester sleeps in David’s old room, Ballerina likes the couch, but Princess prefers to sleep in your bedroom!

BOTH: Our bedroom!

CLARY: Yes. I’m surprised you haven’t noticed her yet! She snores like a lawnmower!  (imitates sound) It’s really funny!

DAD: I’m going to go call someone really fast. It’s, um, an important work call, um, excuse me. (exits stage)

MOM: Sweetie, none of that was real. Those…things don’t exist.

CLARY: Yes, they do! Urgh! You and Dad are seriously messed up in the head! You can’t see what’s right in front of you! Mom! Look at her, look at Cleo! Don’t you see her!

MOM: No, dear, I don’t.

CLARY: It’s because you aren’t trying to see her, Mom! Look close!

MOM: Clary! I can’t see her! No one is there!

CLARY: Of course she’s there! I’m not crazy! I’m not crazy. See? She’s doing a walkover right in front of you, Mom! I’m not psychotic!

DAD: (bursting back onstage) I made an appointment. As soon as we can get there.

MOM: Honey, we need to take you somewhere.

CLARY: Where?

DAD: Bring her stories, Dianne.

CLARY: Where are we going? Dad! Where are we going?!?!

MOM: Where they can help you, Clarissa.

CLARY: I’m. Not. Crazy!

MOM: Shhh. Darling, I know, I know.


Scene Nine


Setting- counselor's office 10 minutes later

On stage- Clary sits with parents, talking to psychiatrist (3-4 aides stand in background )


GEORGIA: Hello, Miss O’Malley, I’m Mrs. Georgia Clyde, but you can call me just Mrs. Georgia. I hear you’ve been having some troubles lately. Tell me about how you feel. Are you sad? Confused?

CLARY: Neither! My parents just won’t believe me about my friends! They are nice, and they’d never do anything to hurt me! I don’t see why they’d be ignored by them!

GEORGIA: Hmmm. (writing notes) I see you are having frustrations. How can you handle things differently in the future?

CLARY: What does that have anything to do with the fact that my parents are ignoring my best friends?!?

GEORGIA: (to herself, writing) Explosive behavior when faced with trial and contemplative questions. (to Clary) Why do you think you feel this way?

CLARY: Because it’s true!! (turning to parents) No matter what any stupid shrink says: I’m not crazy!!!

GEORGIA: (restraining her) Clarissa, listen. You are conjuring images in your head of creatures that, frankly, don’t exist. You’re out of control. Take a deep breath. In. Out. In. Out. In. Out. Good (releases her) Calmly tell me how you feel.

CLARY: (quickly escalating in anger) My parents decide that it’s okay to drag me to a shrink’s office and make me sit here, and you expect me to tell you how I feel?!?

GEORGIA: I want you to sit down and relax. Charlotte, make sure she remains calm and collected, please, dear? (an aide, Charlotte, steps out and restrains Clary with leather clasps and puts her hands firmly on Clary’s shoulders)

CHARLOTTE: Will she be needing some water and crackers? Or anything else?

GEORGIA: Yes, dear. Dinah and Tracey, can you go get some water for Miss O’Malley?

BOTH: Certainly, Mrs. Clyde.

GEORGIA: Fiona, can you get the tools for blood work, for me while I calm Miss Clarissa?

FIONA: Yes, Mrs. Clyde. (all aides but Charlotte exit)

CLARY: Why do you feel the need to restrain me?

GEORGIA: Because I need you to see the harsh truth! (all story characters walk onstage and lie up behind the scene taking place) Some fairy tales were meant to remain fairy tales, sweet. (pulls out a copy of The Dollhouse and rips it in half, all dollhouse characters’ eyes roll back and they collapse) This stuff--this stuff isn’t real, Clary! (rips In The Jungle, same collapsing sequence with those characters)

CLARY: (guttural tone) How could you do this to me?! (starts crying) They were my entire life! They were my best friends! (sobbing) They were my everything! They got me through boys problems and cared even when my own parents didn’t! (hoarse) You took everything away from me! I loved them!

GEORGIA: Dianne, Harry, I think your daughter may be suffering from--

CLARY: No! The only thing I suffer from is a broken heart and a crushed soul! Because of all of you!



Scene Ten


Setting- Psychiatric unit later

On stage- Clary sits in bed, talking to herself

CLARY: I never should have told them. If I had just talked quietly, they never would have found out about all of my friends; they wouldn’t be dead. They would still sing and laugh and tell jokes about stupid little things and-- They would all  be here to tell me that everything will be okay. That we would get out of this together, as a team, but they’re dead. They are dead! I can’t breathe! I can’t breathe! Kyna! Cleo! Calypso! Laceeeeeeey! Help me! (gasping for air) Help me! (aides rush in and calm her)

CHARLOTTE: Shhh, Clarissa. I want you to stop panicking and count down from twenty in your head. Okay? I’ll do it with you. 20, 19, 18, 17… Good. Fiona, go get me a relaxant. Tracey, tell her visitor in the hall to wait. Dinah, stay with me. Clarissa, do you need me to go get Dr. Clyde? I’m sure she would be very disappointed in your outbreak. (Tracey enters with Cal)

TRACEY: Charlotte, her visitor refused to wait. He said he might be able to calm her down. I told him to wait in the lobby, but--

CAL: Clary! (Clary immediately becomes somber)

CLARY: Whaddaya want, Twoface? I don’t have the time to be bothered by such low, inconsiderate bums as you, Callahan.

CAL: Ladies, can you give us some time. (aides wink or bat their eyelashes flirtatiously and leave giggling) Clare Bear, I’m sorry! Okay, I was a complete jerk the other night, and I really hope you forgive me, Clary. Please?

CLARY: (face softens) Yeah, okay. I guess we could maybe start over, Cal? That work for you?

CAL: Sure. That works fine. (awkwardly hugs Clary) So…How have you been? Are you certifiably insane?

CLARY: I dunno. They think I’m schizophrenic, Cal. I’m scared that my life is over, that I’ll never live a normal life again! I really saw all of those things, Cal! I thought they were real! In some parts of my mind…they still are. Cal, I’m not crazy…am I?

CAL: I don’t know. I don’t care either. We’ve been best friends since forever, and you were crazy then too, weren’t ya? What I’m  trying to say here is…I don’t care if you’re schizophrenic or a psychopath or just plain old insane…I still want to…go on a…I still like…(fast and awkward) Clary, do you wanna be my girlfriend?

CLARY: (laughing) Yeah, Cal. But on one condition-- No more Stephanie and Courtney and Zoey and Brittany and--

CAL: I know. Just you, Clare Bear. (awkward pause) I gotta go to work. See ya tomorrow at seven?

CLARY: What’s that?

CAL: (grinning) You’ll see. (walks off)

CLARY: (sighs as the aides come in again along with Mrs. Georgia and her parents) Look, I don’t want to be here anymore. I feel fine. I just want to go home. Please? You know I--

GEORGIA: I know sweetheart. I think you are doing good enough to go home. Your blood work and labs all came back saying that you are fine. But, you are slightly schizophrenic based on the observations and interviews we have done. Congratulations! You are free to go home, Miss Clarissa. Just promise me one thing-- don’t try to bring them back. Okay? (hands Clary a bottle of medication) Here, take two of these everyday, one in the morning, one at night. it should calm you and stop the hallucinations within a week or so. Okay? (Clary nods and smiles)

CLARY: Okay, Mom, Dad. (standing) Let’s go home! (Georgia and aides exit)

MOM: What about you and Cal? (trying to be cool) You guys tight again? You chill? You gotta blood pact, yo?

DAD: What your mother is trying to say is: we’re glad you two are still friends. (Cal walks in)

CAL: Hey, Clary, I think I forgot my sunglasses-- Clary, what’s this all about? You okay?

CLARY: Yeah, I got released today. I finally get to go home!

CAL: That’s great, Clare Bear! (runs over to hug her, sweeps her off her feet, suddenly stops, noticing everyone else, clears his throat) Um, I’m glad you’re doing better. (shakes Clary’s hand)

CLARY: (mock properly) I’d be much obliged if you would join my family tonight for a splendid meal of soup and the finest golden potatoes.

MOM: Ooh! There is this photo album with you two in it. I’ve been dying to show it to you, Cal! It has--  

ALL BUT MOM: No!

CUT TO:

END




CUT TO:

END


© 2015 Jamie


Author's Note

Jamie
I worked very hard on this!!!!!!!!!!! Please give input!

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like this! The first scene was my favorite:) Nice job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Well, The work payed off, this is really good, It got me hooke from the first line, Very interesting indeed.
Grea work you have here, Keep it up!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Jamie

9 Years Ago

Do you have any input as to how I could make it better?
Lizardo

9 Years Ago

I think that for now, I like it how it is
This is such a creative idea and I loved reading it! Your hard work shows in the result! Well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jamie

9 Years Ago

Thanks Becca! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Is there anything you noticed I could change/work on? I re.. read more
Becca

9 Years Ago

I think its perfect I have not ever written a screenplay so I am not sure how they're supposed to be.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

452 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 26, 2014
Last Updated on March 14, 2015
Tags: crazy, romance, animals, mind, voices, family issues, love, passion, tragedy

Author

Jamie
Jamie

Elsewhere, AR



About
I love to write dark fiction! Especially plays and short novellas. Any critiques would be highly appreciated! I love to read poetry and gripping storylines of any kind. Good luck to all in their quest.. more..

Writing
Priorities Priorities

A Story by Jamie