Remembering Destiny's Call

Remembering Destiny's Call

A Story by Jamie


I hear footsteps coming behind me, and I shudder. I stand frozen still in the alley that once held all of my dreams in place. A five here, twenty there. I made my life here. I sacrificed everything. Here. Here is where I learned how to play my first guitar around a crackling campfire. Now I stand here, waiting for destiny to find me twenty years later. Twenty years later, I stand here to find something I never knew I was searching for. Footsteps fall behind me, splashing in shallow puddles that reflect a sallow moon.


"You're late, love."

I laugh, "That's all you have to say? You've waited twenty years for me. A few short minutes mean nothing."

He clutches my wrist and spins me around, “You’re right. I've waited long enough.” He leans in to kiss me, but I hesitate, “Cass, I have a husband and kids. I can’t do this. Singing and playing music in an alley when you are fifteen is one thing, this is another.”


He leans away from my face to look into my eyes, “I don’t know what to say, Tracy. If you called me here just to reject me, why am I here in the first place?” I look to the damp cement below me and let a tear fall into my reflection. My eyes slowly find his, and I say, “Because I need to let you go.” I pull his face quickly to my lips and kiss him hard, taking in his scent to remember until I die. My hands find his hair. Dirty blonde. Soft. Shiny. This used to be mine. My hands fall to my sides, and I turn to run to my silver Mazda. Don’t turn back. Don’t turn back. Don’t turn back. I whip my head around to see him one more time. He’s gone. “Cass! I love you! I always loved you!”

© 2015 Jamie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on February 17, 2015
Last Updated on February 17, 2015

Author

Jamie
Jamie

Elsewhere, AR



About
I love to write dark fiction! Especially plays and short novellas. Any critiques would be highly appreciated! I love to read poetry and gripping storylines of any kind. Good luck to all in their quest.. more..

Writing
Priorities Priorities

A Story by Jamie