Caught in the crossfire

Caught in the crossfire

A Poem by Beccy
"

I wrote this after watching a heart rending TV programme about the children of Afghanistan, but it also relates to any war torn country where the innocent become victims.

"
There are dreams gathering dust on the silk road,
as lost as the ancient land that beget them;
they ghost down its length, ebbing away their
life across the roof of the world and the 
star hung nights of a ceaseless war that 
serves only the unyielding passion of its people. 

And yet, where life and death is now
measured by the emptiness of a child's belly,
there still exists a quiet oasis, where the scent 
of saffron and sandalwood lingers in the air; 
seeping down through the fabric of time as the
yellow moon spins its tenuous threads of re-birth.

There are dreams gathering dust on the silk road;
still this side of paradise, but for now, almost forgotten 
as they wait patiently for the sun to lose its heat.
They are the fragile buds that will one day flower anew,
causing all other empires to crumble and great kings to
finally yield before the innocence of the children of God.

© 2018 Beccy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

wow what an amazing work this is! really got me. The words...they're so rich and able to strike the reader's heart. It sends out a signal of the painful reality of wars and conflicts. But it doesn't stop there. Something's also emerging from the depth this poem, maybe it's hope, a glory for the future generation. Impressive work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

An exquisite, poignant poem. This is a diamond. So sad, so true. Thank you for witnessing to the plight of those dear children so tragically caught within the evil deeds of man.

Posted 8 Years Ago


a large poem, embracing humanity in its history, its blood, and its promise...across time it is the children who survive who pass on the cold baton of acquired characteristics

Posted 9 Years Ago


I hope God is watching. A scary world for many places. Bad part, places like the USA isn't doing too well also. Half the people on welfare. The world need to stop fighting and create hope, safe places and food for all children. Thank you for sharing the thoughts provoking poetry.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


The use of "ghost" as a verb is an interesting choice, though I feel it works quite well. What struck me about this poem is, even though the subhect matter is very here-and-now, was the classic, indeed almost timeless feel of the writing. The pacing (which is admirably smooth, almost effortless) and structure read, to me anyway, more akin to something from the late 19th or early 20th Century, and there is a conspicuous lack of specific contemporary references--indeed, the final three lines are something that would not look out of place in a piece by the Romantic writers. None of this should be construed as criticism--this is a lovely, almost lyrical piece. I simply found it profoundly interesting that a thoroughly modern problem would be studied in such a classical fashion.

Posted 9 Years Ago


wow what an amazing work this is! really got me. The words...they're so rich and able to strike the reader's heart. It sends out a signal of the painful reality of wars and conflicts. But it doesn't stop there. Something's also emerging from the depth this poem, maybe it's hope, a glory for the future generation. Impressive work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

war can only bring pain and suffering...and those last well after the war's end...and especially affected are the children.

you give us a very emotional write here...and your wording is so true, and sad.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Life as we live it... seldom as we want it. Hard lessons to follow, harder still to accept. Where is OUR innocence when OUR cupboards are bare and WE have to use candles and the last one burned out and away and we can see our breath cloud the cold and your head aches cause the swollen stomach is eating YOU bit-by-bit and you KNOW what tomorrow means because today was yesterday's tomorrow. Hope is a four-letter word that many can't always keep inside...

Posted 9 Years Ago


You had me with that stellar first line, an affecting and compassionate piece, tears of the heartstrings...

Posted 9 Years Ago


A tragic reality where children dreams are stolen and are gathering dust. Excellent renderings...Bravo...............

Posted 9 Years Ago


Yes indeed, when those in the thrones of authority become blinded by power and obsessive greed all too often and with dire consequences, it's the innocent who bear the brunt of their fanatical, delusional tyranny !

A fine humanistic, compassionate piece of poetry and I wholeheartedly concur, 'suffer the little children' !

Posted 9 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

397 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 14, 2014
Last Updated on May 4, 2018

Author

Beccy
Beccy

United Kingdom



About
I'm forty four, single and have a lovely fifteen year old son called Charlie. I've been writing poetry and short stories since I can remember. I have always been an assiduous reader of poetry and real.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


~Feast~ ~Feast~

A Poem by Robbie~xoxo~