Skin deep

Skin deep

A Poem by Beccy

Under standards set by the World 
council for conformity, you are beautiful.
An unblemished apple in an orchard mostly 
hung heavy on the bough with the blemished;
so why then, the sullen little frown
that mars your otherwise perfectly 
smooth brow as you leave for work in
a flurry of knock-off designer gear.

Perhaps it is because the Ferrari
and the villa at Cap Ferrat remain
no more than a dream, despite 
that you outshine the latest flibbertigibbet
gawking out from the front page of Vogue,
which aside from paintballers monthly,
is perhaps the most pointless organ
ever to grace the newstands. 

It could even be, that beneath your
gilded feet you sometimes feel the
cracks in the pavement and marvel that
repair is not uppermost in the minds of most;
blemish on blemish threatening to trip
the smooth passage of your voyage; 
the thought temporarily intriguing, 
but no more so than a passing cloud.

Thus, and because I am a founder
member of the blemished and therefore
graced with the ability to see past
reflection, (which on reflection is a gift
beyond measure,) I feel it my duty to point 
out that the humble daisy, though more 
numerous than the orchid, is, from the 
viewpoint of Mother Nature, equally as beautiful. 

 

© 2014 Beccy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It can be very difficult to convince someone that they are perfect as they are... maybe not in a literal sense, but more in how you want them to be in your own life. So many people dwell on the flaws to the point that they miss that many things in life are steeped in duplicity; both in themselves, and in the world and the people that walk it. "I have low self-esteem" "I am too reserved" "I am too fat"... all of these can be turned from weaknesses into some powerful strengths, it is all a question of perspective, and the desire to approach them in a new way. They can be "I am humble", "I am genuine", "I have healthy curves, but you should want me for more than just that"... Arrogance is a short step from confidence; all it takes is a willingness to look at these 'weaknesses' and to channel them in a positive way. I am personally a very flawed person, but many of those flaws are also my greatest strengths.... and with the right person, I can be 'perfect' for them. (Or so I tell myself) If nothing else, someone who has flaws can feel real and like something you can connect with. Someone who feels 'perfect', to me, I always mark it off as a charade. For someone to willingly expose their weaknesses to you, so that you can show them the strength those weaknesses conceal... it is a beautiful thing, showing their trust in you. Does the smith temper the steel? Or does the steel temper the smith?

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Its the hair thingy
both I and my skull would like it back
Even bald daisies are not real happy

Posted 3 Years Ago


How to bring pomposity down to earth in this Beccy. All that glisters is not gold,, but your final stanza is pure platinum. Loved the self effacing truth of this .

Norman


Posted 4 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JR
Beautifully crafted. I love the message of this one, Beccy. We can waste away our lives with want for things we don't have, and all it brings is suffering. Being comfortable in our own skin is the only true peace. I've been the daisy longing to be the orchid, and it's a rough existence. Everyone is equal in the eyes of Mother Nature. Really loved the flow and the images you chose.

Posted 4 Years Ago


I was first reminded of Peter Sarstedt's classic song and then I realised this went much further and was a true indicment of so many things that are superficical and wrong.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Beccy

4 Years Ago

Ken. Thank you for you insightful words.

Beccy.
Beccy, my favorite works relate to perspective, especially when a writer can step out of their own shoes and offer a different viewpoint. This is a tactful yet direct message to those who subscribe to the "standards set by the World." The problem with standards is that they're set by humans, and therefore always flawed and leave out others. You've captured that remarkably well in this poem. And, given the number of views in the past five years, I'd say others agree.

Posted 4 Years Ago


...and so are you dear daisy:) truly beautiful!!!!!!!!
wow love the cutting...
Under standards set by the World
council for conformity, you are beautiful.
Oh how these standard bearers need to be replaced

Posted 4 Years Ago



this is in quite simple terms 21st century poetry at its most understated best... now will ya bloody marry me or what..

Posted 4 Years Ago


Neville

4 Years Ago


You said that about the Porche .. okay but I want the Bentley back in one piece :))
Beccy

4 Years Ago

Meanie. I was going to store it for when Charlie gets his licence. :))

PS. Lovely rev.. read more
Neville

4 Years Ago

You are most welcome.. the Aston Martin is for Charlie and is on me x
Yes, the humble daisy is equally beautiful as the orchids. :)
Fantastic close out on this one. This is a stunning piece of work.

Posted 4 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Baz
so why then, the sullen little frown
that mars your otherwise perfectly
smooth brow as you leave for work in
a flurry of knock-off designer gear.

Nice image - a flurry of knock off designer gear. Some people seem determined to be defined by who they wear not who they are.

Posted 6 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1138 Views
38 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 22, 2014
Last Updated on September 6, 2014

Author

Beccy
Beccy

United Kingdom



About
I'm forty four, single and have a lovely fifteen year old son called Charlie. I've been writing poetry and short stories since I can remember. I have always been an assiduous reader of poetry and real.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..