Being sixteen

Being sixteen

A Poem by Beccy
"

A memory.

"
His hand was delicate in mine,
more delicate than I wished it 
might have been; and on his lips
there trembled words untried;
like leaves on autumn trees 
before they die.

And in his eyes I saw such
sweet despair, a hesitation
more than I could bear;
and turning, though as in
a half spun dream, I tilted 
to the gently warming sun; 
then stole a kiss, 
though brief, still not forgot;
sixteen we were, 
he loved me?
Loved me not?

© 2014 Beccy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ahh, the intensity of being 16 and that feeling of barely being able to breathe out, for fear that it will catch in your mouth and make you cough and splutter. Acting with a confidence none of us possessed and the exclusivity of thoughts, all taken up by that "one."
'twas the best of times,' twas the worst of times 😀
I remember it well, sigh 😀

Posted 3 Years Ago


Came by again... just wanted to pause a bit and let the coffee cool down...

it did

Posted 9 Years Ago


This poem is such an innocent and perfect piece to capture the idea of 'being sixteen'. Once again, your word choice is phenomenal. This time, my particular favourite was, "like leaves on autumn trees before they die." The ending is fantastic too, ending on the age old, 'he loves me/he loves me not' sing-song thought process. I like the idea that her male companion is also obviously young and frail and innocent; his hand being delicate in hers and what not. Overall, I love this piece. Thank you so much for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


It is not that familiar with in my teens but yes as I opened more to world I feel not hesitant a poem like this. Nice one as a teen experience. Good one Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This one had me wanting to continue from the other's side... silly sweet pause and coffee wishes.

I reopened this one to continue the thoughts...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sweet sweet memories, Beccy.
This moment is capturing so beautifully. I can see a young stealing a kiss!
Beautiful.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Such memories, such fears, I feel for your nervous friend. I'm sure he recalls that moment quite fondly, as he should. Very nicely portrayed.

Steve k

Posted 9 Years Ago


Very beautiful. You words flowed flawlessly. There was an exquisite depth within your heartfelt words. The emotion was genuine and pure. Very good read. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


A sweet and tender moment in the words of a poet...:(......

Posted 9 Years Ago


Bringing to life a tender moment like this in a way that the reader can see clearly even feel, takes great skill. And you have to care first, in order to preseve the things worth preserving. You care.

Diego

Posted 9 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

824 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 15, 2014
Last Updated on September 15, 2014

Author

Beccy
Beccy

United Kingdom



About
I'm forty four, single and have a lovely fifteen year old son called Charlie. I've been writing poetry and short stories since I can remember. I have always been an assiduous reader of poetry and real.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


If You... If You...

A Poem by s y e