Prada comes before a fall.

Prada comes before a fall.

A Poem by Beccy

"It's a bargain," she sighs,
"I must have it, so sequinned, 
so shiny and bright 
but for now, just for now,
though I'm loath to admit,
'tis a tad, just a tiny tad tight."

"How smart," he remarks
to the mirror, "such a perfectly
handcrafted shoe, 
no doubt in my mind 
I must have it, in fact 
to be sure I'll have two!"

"So together," they croon, 
"just like twin set and pearl
with the prettiest tint to our hair,
and our manicured life is stress 
free, without strife, aren't we quite 
the most perfect matched pair."

"We have riches," they crow,
"careful culled all our years
on the corporate path we have trod,
but our charity beginneth
and endeth at home
so the rest we have left up to God!"

And thus, it is how such emporia,
from vainglorious desires
strike it rich;
'tis Vanity Fair for the masses,
grandiose empires 
of quite pointless glitz,
where the acme
for those so afflicted
is the taking of tea at the Ritz.

 

© 2021 Beccy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This has pathos and style and such amazing sardonic wit in a beautifully crafted poem.

Posted 8 Years Ago


'.. grandiose empires - of quite pointless glitz, - where the acme - for those so afflicted - is the taking of tea at the Ritz.'

Smile a stanza, this! Makes me think of act-ORS playing in the Theatre of Life; trying to be or not to be appropriately covered by scripts and costumes.. Maybe we all succumb to frailties whilst trying to find the perfect part.. but, maybe end up hung, drawn and quartered. Love the reason behind your words, love the playful tongue.in.cheek logic.. you write so well. Truly do.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gotta love buying crapola you never look at twice a week later. Story of my life, aha.

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is a very witty observational piece and a wry social commentary Beccy. The title, I love dahhling.

The spirit of it struck me as very Noel Coward.
I loved the use of words like 'beginneth' (so WASP) and 'emporia' 'acme'
and i loved the phrase 'just like twin set and pearl' - pure class Beccy in a classless way of course.


Posted 8 Years Ago


love the title. and the poem.you have a way all your own to express simple ideas in an elegant, poetic way, Beccy. you don't write often but the wait is worth it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Interesting observations, I could never quite grasp the need to spend more on a designer brand purse, or big name brand shoes than I did on the first few used cars I owned!
Well done Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


yes, exactly "vainglorious"

you said it perfectly in this poem..."mirror, mirror on the wall who are the fairest and riches of them all"

that kind of contentment is as short lived as those bargains----

j.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I love the play on Pride and Prada. The title is very creative and then the poem is equally masterful...An excellent one...:)...

Posted 9 Years Ago


I like the way the item is both luxurious yet described as a bargain! Arf, arf, so it is tight but it is still a must have! This is how we are. The image rules us. I feel like that about my Paul Smith funeral coat. (The detachable quilted lining is a thing of exquisite beauty - sure it can't be seen, but I KNOW it is there and knowing confers a certain inner power.) Your lines also evoke the power footwear of a certain leading politician. And the potency of Church's English shoes for men. Hmm, and the sadness I felt when the structure of my super-soft grey suede ankle boots gave way. I only every wore them for best. The efforts I went to to get them fixed or replaced. As it is they are still wearable. (Phew!) Ach, I wld have said I am indifferent to shoes. Clearly there is a lot more in shoes that feet.

Posted 9 Years Ago


a good not-quite tongue-in-cheeky... was a good read

Posted 9 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

726 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 15, 2015
Last Updated on March 13, 2021

Author

Beccy
Beccy

United Kingdom



About
I'm forty four, single and have a lovely fifteen year old son called Charlie. I've been writing poetry and short stories since I can remember. I have always been an assiduous reader of poetry and real.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Abstractions Abstractions

A Poem by Beccy


Sins Sins

A Poem by Ana B.