State Street Stella

State Street Stella

A Story by BelAir
"

A piece of flash fiction about two people who have met in a very unordinary place before.

"

From a Dream

 By BelAir

 

 

 The question is:

is it possible?

And now, as the bridge raised them higher and higher over the Mississippi and he smelled the fresh, acidic smell of rain coming off of her sodden flesh next to him, the answer . . . to Martin Lewiston, was all too clear.

Yes, yes, it is.

He was sure of her just as he was sure the night before the woman was swaying to a lonesome beat on a crowded dance floor, alone . . . A red evening dress. Calling him in.

 Another: a football game, seeing her in the face of a forgotten lover from his youth.

In the morning Martin Lewiston was resurrected, but secretly. It was a great feeling, he thought, smiling, maybe, over that first cup of coffee.

The rain was just slackening by the time they made it across the state line, leaving it night before night was due to come. He could feel her eyes on him in the darkness.

Beautiful.

That first thought was beautiful.

Unbelievable.

In the summer heat, his dark hair had dampened against his forehead. The skin beneath his clothes was bronze of hard work and long hours, but fitting all the same, as if he had been born with it. The eyes, when they met hers, were brown and clear. Hopeful.

She watched his hands grip the stirring wheel, the pink ridge of scar tissue across the back of his left, waiting there for her again. The hands themselves were callused, fingers slim and too delicate for the work which they were assumed to be exposed to. How many times had she lain under them, she wondered?

There was a delicate sense of all of his features . . . The button nose . . . lips soft and full.

The kind of beauty that made one sure there had to be a God above.

He turned to look at her again, the only sound the smooth track of highway running under his tires. Kira would be setting out dinner for him, coercing the boys into bed.

The woman was gazing into her side mirror, instead, watching as the city’s lights fell farther and farther back from them.

 

© 2009 BelAir


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on March 14, 2009
Last Updated on March 15, 2009

Author

BelAir
BelAir

Kansas City, MO



About
I'm a high school student from Missouri. more..

Writing
They in the Sky They in the Sky

A Story by BelAir


The Trade The Trade

A Story by BelAir