Eyes On Me

Eyes On Me

A Story by BenjTurlik
"

Based on a true story.

"
While wondering the black woods behind the garden of my estate as I enjoy doing on lonely nights, I was walking towards a light I noticed off in the distance. It was midnight. The sky was dark, and the stars burned brightly. A thin white fog began to settle over the landscape with an eerie misty feeling that accompanied it.
"What was this light off in the distance?"
I said to myself as I ambled along the heavily wooded path towards the mysterious object. Several thoughts entered my brain as I drew closer" closer" closer. The first of these was; perhaps this was a lost traveler.
"At this hour?"
I argued with myself.
"No, can't be."
I moved onto more theories that could have explained the light that I was witnessing before me drawing still closer. Perhaps, I thought, it was a broken vehicle with the headlights still left burning.
"In these thick woods?"
I thought to myself.
"I think not."
As I moved onwards, I squinted my eyes to try and make out some recognizable shapes or figures. All in vain. The figure at this time was still out of my range of vision which further alarmed me. My heart was beating loudly, like a military band. It beat faster and faster and louder and louder, until at last I felt that I would succumb to a burst heart. Yet, I still drew ever closer to the indiscernible light.
I approached a large fallen tree that obstructed me from approaching any further. My heart still beating as loud as a bass drum. My curiosity got the better of me and I crawled overtop of the fallen tree. This I did with some difficulty, but I had to discover what it was!
Finally, as I squinted again I could make out two lights. Eyes. They were of an animal of some sort... staring me down like prey. I drew closer, close enough to be able to fully make out the two distinct eyes watching me as I walked. I shone my torch at the animal and fell aback and plummeted to the ground when I discovered that it was a man! He wore full camouflage and night goggles. I dropped my light and hid behind a stump as he still watched me. When I looked back up, he turned and walked the opposite direction away from where I was hidden.
I ran back to my home as fast as my legs would permit. When I arrived I noticed in the muddy pathway out of the forest, very large footprints made by heavy military boots. I followed the footsteps in the direct from which they came leading me toward my house. They stopped at the grass between my garden and the path. But impressions made faintly in the grass led me back to the side door of my house! I nearly died from the feeling that arose upon realising that he must have been on my property and perhaps in my house.

© 2017 BenjTurlik


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on October 9, 2017
Last Updated on October 10, 2017
Tags: Mystery

Author

BenjTurlik
BenjTurlik

Pittsburgh, PA



About
I like to write short stories, usually in the horror genre. more..

Writing