"Waking The Dream"

"Waking The Dream"

A Chapter by Sarai Akscyn
"

Chapter One

"
 
For Neil MacKinnon

21 April 07 

                    Waking the Dream by Sarai Akscyn

 

 

 

“Could you really make a definitive gesture like that??” Binx asks, open faced, in his astonishment. 

 

“I thought I just did…”  Emmy trails off.  “Did you not read the page with the sea bag?” 

 

“I’m not like you Binx.  I don’t lope it all off at once.  I’ve no jute to keep it all together.  Look at the marks you’ve left on your…” 

 

The last thing Binx hears as she diddles away was something about a knotty trick of his knee.  He knew better, by now, not to attempt to nail down her talk-a-bouts. 

 

“What is this wandering in and out of rooms?  What is this thing you’re doing??”  he asks in a pinched sort of demand. 

 

His question comes off moot.  As if he wanted to stop midway.  But it just sort of followed the other words out of his mouth.

 

“Joy and happy are inside, you know Binx.  I’m just letting them out with each page is all.”

 

“I don’t need to finish each one.  Why cannot you let me keep making new ones?  I like the piece-meal of it.”  Emmy’s voice echoes from a distance down the corridor.

 

“I can’t stay the same for you all the time.  I just wake up into the day of things”.  “It’s not being greedy, or even inconsiderate.  I so love being with you.  I just can’t keep static is all.”  “Some days its hard to even stay inside of my own self.”

 

Binx waits until he cannot make her words out before he steps outside the warm of the room.  As though, he was being considerate.  For a little thing she seems to take up a lot of space.

 

You’re really not my job you know… is his thinking.  I just happened to find you here…he says with his silence.

 

Now that he can barely hear her murmur, he begins soft stepping down the wooden plank of the corridor toward her now muted voice.  As he draws nearer, he hears her fussing about in the library. 

 

“I’m afraid.  That’s the sometimes of it.  I don’t know how to bind it together right.”  She confesses. 

 

Its almost as though he’s drawn to her against his sensibilities.  This sweetly amusing higgledy-piggledy of a mess that she was. 

 

“You know, Emmy, I don’t even have my glasses with me.  And I don’t know how to find you.  Enough of your silly!  Stay put, now, will you???”  Binx furrows his brows.  He’d forgotten to fix his cuppa when he awakened earlier.  The forgetting of it disturbs him far more than the missed coffee itself.

 

Well, this is enough tending foolery for one morning.  “Loping out” he bats back snidely. 

 

Binx turns and walks back toward the green of the open door of the school house.  He is careful not to hush his steps in his leave.  The pause he takes before exiting altogether is void of any trace of her fussing or speech.  He shuffles through the vast un-mowed field where his old blue skylark is parked.

 

 

She sits alone in the dankness of the old library.  His footsteps went soft, softer away from her wanting.  Its all she knows to do, now, is wait.  Now then… the joy is saved inside her.  It’s truly not necessary she knows. 

    

 

She thinks he’ll return for her.  Then he’ll summon up new-fangled joy in her again…  The silly man thinks she's his muse...  She ponders; and smiles her enchantment.

 

Binx never understands my changeling thing.  Emmys thought leaves her in a sigh.  She pulls out her fountain pen and begins to script.  This time, it’s the heartrending she pens out.



© 2008 Sarai Akscyn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh, I tend to avoid fiction in all shapes and forms. This was so lovely, so unexpectedly that you have to promise that you'll send me read requests when you post more. I love her and him! I just want to bring them both home and fuss over them. Promise, now!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 24, 2008
Last Updated on September 12, 2008


Author

Sarai Akscyn
Sarai Akscyn

HI



About
Perched in the finest places in the USA from Maine, California, to Hawaii. Fascination with legalese; as well as a love for the written word. Dear Friends and Colleagues, Please know I'm aware of m.. more..

Writing