Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Lettie
"

"But I have to," I murmured softly, shaking me head. I didn't want to kill Haighlee, but I was afraid. "You know the rules." "Kill or be killed," Haighlee whispered in a dream like voice.

"
"Jo it's me! Its Haighlee, your friend!"

Haighlee was on the ground. Her voice was anxious, coated with fear, as her eyes darted every way trying to find a way out. There was no way out and both she and I knew that, but I could tell she was still hoping that somehow she would be saved.

"I know very well who you all, Haighs," I said emotionless advancing on her. The dagger twisted lightly in my hands, almost mocking her. This was the last thing I wanted to do, yet my fear of Paradise was much greater. On a daily basics I ended lives; I killed without hesitation, but this was different. This was Haighlee, and though I would give anything not to kill her, we both knew that her life would be over shortly.

The terrified girl in front of me let out a small sheik. Her thin brown hair was messy and damp with sweat. She had a tan heart shape face, with large stormy gray eyes, a small nose dappled with freckles, and a tiny mouth with perfect white teeth. Haighlee had always been beautiful even at the young age of six when we met. Her normally dark skin tone, was faint with pure dread, making the big gray eyes shine even brighter.

"Jo, it doesn't have to be like this," Haighlee whimpered. She looked like a small fawn trapped in the headlights. Even when horrified, still stunning and lovely in every way.

"Yes it does Haighlee," I whispered. "I made a mistake and now I have to pay."

Haighlee was my best friend at this school, actually she was my only friend. At Paradise you weren't aloud to befriend anyone. Of course, you could talk to other students, but you didn't dare get close to them, because it went against all the rules. The rules were everything at the school. You fallowed them or died, simple as that. I would know being the one to carry out the punishment every time.

But we thought we were better than the rules, Haighlee and I; We broke the rules and became friends. In secret we met every night and during free periods, and when we were in public we pretended to hate each others guts. We thought nobody knew about our friendship, but we were wrong. Paradise always knows.

I was the best fighter and Haighlee was the smartest in school. Because of this we would never be put together during the usual gladiator war, both of us were too valuable to lose. But because of our forbidden friendship, Paradise decided to have some fun with us. We were to fight to the death.

I was use to gladiator wars. They were normal at Paradise, happening when someone was punished or just for the fun of it. The school was twisted like that; even when no one did anything wrong, they still needed the amusement of seeing death and I was not only the best fighter at Paradise, but also the best killer. Every time, I was put up against the person who was to die, and every time I killed them. Killing came easy too me, and after I never thought much of the life I had just ended.

Paradise was a greater being. It got into your mind and messed it up. I knew this because of the fact I had been here my whole life. At Paradise, saying no wasn't an option, neither was pretending to know better. I killed to ensure my own safety, so did everyone else. That was the balance.

Later on I was asked how I could kill my best friend. I never know how to answer this question, so I don't. Maybe it was my fear of death, or maybe I just couldn't deny Paradise.

"Joanna Beth Dessen, I know you." Haighlee said, trying to reach me again. "You don't want to do this."

"But I have to," I murmured softly, shaking me head. I didn't want to kill Haighlee, but I was afraid. "You know the rules."

"Kill or be killed," Haighlee whispered in a dream like voice. She seemed so far away now. "Goodbye Jo."

Without thinking I quickly brought the dagger to her chest. Haighlee didn't make a sound, but instead fixed her piecing gray eyes on me. I pushed the weapon into her chest harder and gave it a little twist, so it would be over quickly.  I watch Haighlee's eyes go dull and her body limp.

"Goodbye Haighs"



© 2010 Lettie


Author's Note

Lettie
The name Haighlee is pronounced Hay-Lee, if you didn't know that. I know it is an odd way of spelling it.

Jo is also a girl if you did not realize this.

This has been edited on Aug. 21st! Yay.

Tell me what you think, loves :]

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The girl let out a small 'shriek' not 'sheik'. Also, her face was heart-shaped, not 'heart shape'. Jo wasn't 'allowed' to befriend anyone, not 'aloud'. They pretended to hate "each other's" guts, not "each other guts". They were also both 'too' valuable to lose, not 'to valuable'.

It frightens me a little that I found that many stupid mistakes in something this short, but at least they are easy ones to make and fix.

The story itself is interesting; this certainly does the job of a prologue in making the reader want to know exactly what the f**k is going on here. I'm going to read on, we'll see where it goes.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Cruel cruel world. I would hate to live in anything remotely similiar... Wonderful hook.

Posted 13 Years Ago


interesting that you call "killing the offender" ..carrying out the punishment...."death sentence isnt punishment in my thinking..a punishment is to learn from ..hopefully...and change ones behaviour...just a suggestion...

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love it so far, it's interesting, and the way its set up, it's just really good! Good job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


The girl let out a small 'shriek' not 'sheik'. Also, her face was heart-shaped, not 'heart shape'. Jo wasn't 'allowed' to befriend anyone, not 'aloud'. They pretended to hate "each other's" guts, not "each other guts". They were also both 'too' valuable to lose, not 'to valuable'.

It frightens me a little that I found that many stupid mistakes in something this short, but at least they are easy ones to make and fix.

The story itself is interesting; this certainly does the job of a prologue in making the reader want to know exactly what the f**k is going on here. I'm going to read on, we'll see where it goes.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow this is really great!! I can't wait to read the rest of the book!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is wonderfully written! I cannot wait to read more!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WOW!! What a fabulously written prologue! You've got tension, vivid description, vivid characterization, danger, violence, death, love....I'M HOOKED! I CAN'T WAIT TO READ MORE!!


Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

623 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 29, 2010
Last Updated on August 22, 2010
Tags: paradise pier, academy, death, kill, paradise


Author

Lettie
Lettie

Wonderland, WI



About
"Nobody important". Blimey, that's amazing. D'you know, in 900 years of time and space I've never met anyone who wasn't important before.;; I'm a girl to start out with, fifteen years young, but do.. more..

Writing
Ashes, Ashes Ashes, Ashes

A Book by Lettie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Angela Angela

A Poem by Coyote Poetry