Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Lettie
"

Four teenagers. For different talents. One path.

"
PROLOGUE

The moon was the only light in the dark valley as the tall shadows made their way through the thick coats of trees and plants. No stars dappled the sky and no sound was made as the shadowy figures moved, not even from the shapes themselves, as they moved with such swiftness and silence any onlookers would miss. But the shadows knew there would be no onlookers, because this was their sanctuary and everyone knew that the Valley of Forgotten Souls was off limits that night and no one would ever be stupid enough to wander into where they were not allowed.

The shadows stopped in a small circle opening, directly under the moon. There was four of them, each taking a point of a diamond that was drawn in white substance on the dark earth. Each figure wore a cloak as black as midnight with hoods that covered each of their faces. Each wore a large circle pedant of a different color around their necks.

Simultaneously, each dark shape removed their hood at once,revealing the heads of three men and a woman. They all shared the same face: emotionless, laced with worry. They stood in silence for a while, none daring to speak up nor move from their position.

Finally the man a the tip of the diamond cleared his throat, causing three pairs of eyes to fall on him. He was a handsome man in his early twenties, with dark skin and a shaven head. Around his neck he wore a pendant of pale yellow with three lines, that curved at one tip, carved into the banana colored metal.

"We all know why we are here," the man said, his voice low and rough. "The faith of everything we worked for is close to being destroyed.

"Funny, how they chose you to represent air, Vayu," the man on the right sneered. He was also good looking with long black hair framing a pale face. His eyes were a violent red, mirroring the pendant on his neck. "I didn't think the spirits were too pleased with you... after everything you did."

Even with Vayu's dark skin, everyone was clearly able to see his face turn warm. His light yellow eyes turned cold as he stared at the man who just spoken to him. "The spirits have forgiven me, Atish" Vayu said evenly, holding his head high. "And so have my people."

Atish made a face of disgust and opened his mouth to reply, but a quiet voice spoke before him. "You both need to be quiet," the voice said, barely louder than a whisper. All three men turned to look at the only female of the four. She was beautiful, with silver blond hair that fell below her waist and a white heart-shape face with large light blue eyes that seem to see through everything. Her voice was calm, yet at the same time it was strong and powerful, slashing through the silence that surrounded them. "We are not hear to talk about the mistakes of Vayu, but of the future of our world."

"Yes Kenda," Vayu murmured quietly. Then ignoring Atish snort, he continued on the major problem. "The mortals are sucking out the power of the Earth and therefor killing it every moment."

"And draining our gifts," Atish added icily. "Our connection with the real world and the spirits are fading. It won't be long before we will all disappear."

"The Earth will die without our children and so will we," Kenda said quietly, sounding as if she was talking to herself, more than anyone in the clearing.

"They are the ones killing our children," Atish scoff. "Humans understand nothing, but then again, Vayu once sided with them, so maybe it is just idiots who understand nothing."

"Don't talk to me like that," Vayu answered coldly, with a glare that could kill a bird out of the sky.

"You said nothing all this time, Adam," Kenda said softly staring at the guy on the bottom of the diamond. At once the other two fell silent and along with Kenda they stared the small ash blond who looked back at all of them expressionless.

Minutes went by and the other three awaited Adam to spoke. Finally, a deep voice that didn't look like it would come out of that small of a body. "Both our powers and the world is coming to an end. We have very little left, no guardians are alive, and the Earth is rising into chaos as we speak. I think our choice is very obvious. We must use what little we have left and use it now before it is lost."

"And lose everything?" Atish spat. "We hardly have any power left and to make another guardian for each element, we will have nothing left at all. How can we put everything at risk and leave it in the hands of only four immature guardians."

"We won't have any power to train them," Vayu agreed slowly.

"But if we don't," Kenda murmured. "Then we have no hope at all."

Six eyes turned to look at Vayu, who was biting his lip and looked deep in thought. He looked up, but not at the other three but at the sky, where finally the stars were coming out. "Spirits of Nature, we have come to a decision. We ask that you accept what we are about to do, honor what must be done and watch over the destiny that is to come."

Vayu sucked in a breath and looked down, staring at each of the others in turn. No one dared said anything until the yellow pedant one spoke. "The spirits have spoken to me." The others waited, watching wide eye. It was a long time before Vayu spoke again. Finally his deep voice echoed in the silence. "Each of us must pick a baby born today to hold the life of earth in their hands."


© 2010 Lettie


Author's Note

Lettie
This was a spur of the moment idea, but I really like it

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a very good chapter and I expect great things from this book.

Posted 13 Years Ago


lol Hmmm, a somewhat Wiccan novel. Lovely. lol ^_^

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like the characters, and the idea. I can't wait to see it unfold

Posted 13 Years Ago


great i love this idea the characters are so cold and emotionless but yet full of good plans great job i loved this peice

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

411 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 30, 2010
Last Updated on June 30, 2010
Tags: guardians, air, fire, water, earth, lucky, ava, nate, hunter


Author

Lettie
Lettie

Wonderland, WI



About
"Nobody important". Blimey, that's amazing. D'you know, in 900 years of time and space I've never met anyone who wasn't important before.;; I'm a girl to start out with, fifteen years young, but do.. more..

Writing
Ashes, Ashes Ashes, Ashes

A Book by Lettie