Flare

Flare

A Story by Black Carnival
"

"I was burning! Someone was burning me! I screamed: screamed for death." When you are treated poorly, unwanted - all you can wish for is death.

"

Darkness. It surrounded my like a veil. I was blind, my body felt numb and heavy as I was dragged around the building. My feet making a slight squeaking on the white, laminated tiles as I was hauled and pushed. My body was scarred all over - consisting of blue and black bruises covering my body like a well fitting suit.

My ragged breathing was the only thing ripping through the terrifying silence, tears streaming down my face in a silent display of pain. The sound of buttons being clicked alerted me, where was I going? A new room? The doors whooshed open, a slight breeze tickling my skin.

I could feel my hip-long, light blonde hair swaying against my body.  Murmured voices reached my sensitive ears, I wasn’t accustomed to such noise - no matter how low. Suddenly a hand roughly grabbed my bare upper arm and I was violently pinned against a flat surface. I heard several more clicking and clanking noises and the rough hand left my body. I began to squirm in anticipation but realised I couldn’t move my arms or legs. Panicking I attempted to yank my hands and feet free, but it was too strong - whatever it was.

The flat surface began to move backwards, forcing me to go with it. My feet lifting off the ground, and my tears falling to side of my face instead of down. Finally, the movement stopped and I could feel myself laying horizontally. Heavy footsteps paced towards me and the black veil was removed from my eyes. Gasping as a new found light hit my eyes - I squinted them shut automatically in pain. I decided to keep my eyes shut against the light wanting no more pain than I’m already in.

I began to feel odd things being placed on my skin. They where wet, and stuck to my skin like glue. I began to it itch, and idiotically attempted  to relieve myself of the uncomfortable feeling - but was in vain and soon gave up.

More murmured voices reached my ears, but they where lower than the others - more distant. Then the pain started. Electric volts shot through my body, unbearable pain coursed through my veins causing me to thrash and scream at the revolting sensation. Tears leaked from my eyes like a gushing waterfall: ever flowing.  The pain began to subside and my quickened breathe began to return to its normal pace.

I gulped as I felt the pain returning and in no less than ten-seconds I was in the previous state, screaming; crying; thrashing. The routine continued without falter for what felt like eternity until it finally stopped for good. Letting out a relieved gasp I let my muscles relax, but then I felt a sharp object cut through my skin. It wasn’t deep enough to produce blood - but enough to penetrate my skin. I had never even heard the foot steps, due to my body still in a recovery state from the shock-.

My thought where interupted by a burning pain flaring all over my skin. I was burning! Someone was burning me! I screamed: screamed for death. The shocks where nothing compared to this…this…torture!
My eyes sprang open but quickly shut them again, protecting them from the unwelcoming light. I could feel life slipping away from me, but that didn’t make the pain subside. Death is meant to be peaceful - easy, not this…there was nothing peaceful about this!

“Kill Me!” I yelled, and released one more throaty scream before darkness soon engulfed me, and for the first time in eternity - I felt nothing but peace.

© 2009 Black Carnival


Author's Note

Black Carnival
Hope you enjoy :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was skillfully written.
The imagery is precise and disturbing; the setting haunting.

The only thing I would mention is the lack of an explanation.
Who, what, when, where and why? I'm left with more questions coming away than I had beforehand.
But then that gives the piece distinction and makes it stick when the reader tries to "fill in the blanks".
Of course, deciding to, or not to, answer these questions in the story doesn't take anything away from the piece. Either way, it's very well written.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A very strong and interesting storyline, i feel almost like it should be longer, like it was all over a little to quickly and you could explore the possiblities and your character more.
A loved the description of the scenario, the way even with limited senses your character still presents an accurate description of what is going on , and wonderfully so keeping you on the edge of your seat as you follow him through his ordeal.
I think its lacking in his actual emotion though, there seemed next to no desription of your main characters feelings inside, the fear that should of been felt by us was not because he seemed a little detached, and considering it is in first person i feel we should be more held in with him . Feeling his occurances , you left your readers with alot of unanswered questions which is why i feel you need mroe length. The main questions sticking in my head are where are we, who is doing this, why?
And of course i enjoyed it , it was a fantastic and brilliant piece, keep up the good work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This was skillfully written.
The imagery is precise and disturbing; the setting haunting.

The only thing I would mention is the lack of an explanation.
Who, what, when, where and why? I'm left with more questions coming away than I had beforehand.
But then that gives the piece distinction and makes it stick when the reader tries to "fill in the blanks".
Of course, deciding to, or not to, answer these questions in the story doesn't take anything away from the piece. Either way, it's very well written.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

amazing, you shouldn't be modest about a piece like that thomas, and also yeh enter it in contests :D well written, perfect vocbulary and an excellent story.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 29, 2009
Last Updated on December 7, 2009

Author

Black Carnival
Black Carnival

Liverpool, United Kingdom



About
N a M e ;; Thomas Wharton A g E ;; 14 E y E s ;; Blue H a I r ;; Blonde B i R t H d A y ;; 10/11 F A V O U R I T E ;; A u T h O r ;; Darren Shan S a G a / B o O k ;; The Saga of Darren Shan.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fireflies Fireflies

A Poem by J