Late Night Questions

Late Night Questions

A Story by Blackcatattack
"

Some people get weird at night.

"
Sometimes I have the strongest feeling that all the furniture disappears when I switch the light off. I say to myself I'd better get into bed quickly before the dark swallows me too! Ever since we learned about black holes in science class I sometimes get the feeling that if some dark things can act as vacuum cleaners, maybe all the dark energy in the universe has the potential to somehow turn into one black hole that swallows all the stars and planets, until there is nothing left but dark. And then will it swallow it's self? What happens then when the only thing left for it to swallow is it's self? At night the more I question things the stranger the world seems, until I get the feeling of how small we are as human beings compared to the enormity of time and space, that everything to ever exist is utterly meaningless, that reality itself is fragile and malluable and there is no point to anything all. Sometimes I have the strongest feeling nothing even exists. That I do not exist, I am just a fragment of the wind that goes about unnoticed or a figment of someone's imagination. Who's to say I'm not? Sometimes I look in the mirror at the image of a little girl and scare myself silly just by staring at it because I feel like any second now it is going to change into something terrifying. And who's to say it isn't?

© 2013 Blackcatattack


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thanks for writing this for a contest! Nice!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Interesting thoughts/questions. I like your way of thinking. Cool piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blackcatattack

10 Years Ago

Thank you.
How did you manage to pluck thoughts out of the back of my mind that I hadn't remembered thinking in decades? Love this.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blackcatattack

10 Years Ago

I'm glad. Thank you.
Another excellent piece of writing!
You have a great knack at expressing the ramblings of thought and transforming it into interesting prose. The rhetoric questions also really worked well, almost as if you are questioning yourself as much as the reader. This definitely reveals a depth of character and thought.
The only critiques I have concern small grammatical errors and punctuation (which don't even detract from the text). For example:
"Ever since we learned about black holes in science class I sometimes get the feeling that if some dark things can act as vacuum cleaners maybe all the dark energy in the universe has the potential to somehow turn into one black hole that swallows all the stars and planets until there is nothing left but dark"
This is a veeeery long sentence. I can understand that your character is essentially ranting, and the use of long sentences really stresses their train of thought (also mimicking the act of talking without taking a breath), but you still need to break up the text with commas. However, the small errors did not disrupt my reading.
Again, awesome work! I'm officially a fan!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blackcatattack

10 Years Ago

Your comments are greatly appreciated and I will try to fix my run-ons. Thanks!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2013
Last Updated on July 7, 2013
Tags: night, nonsense, philosophy, dreams, psycology, the universe, thoughts, whimzical