Dying In The Sun

Dying In The Sun

A Poem by Lovecraft
"

A random thought...

"
Lying in an open field, sun high and bright,
Dying and wasting away beneath the light.

Seems the most pleasant way in which to perish,
While my life seeps out in pretty pools of crimson.

The pain is terrible, the shock setting in,
Yet the sunlight calms my troubled soul,
Providing some relief from the chaos,
My fear of the unknown...

In delirium a light smile plays upon my lips,
Though I'm not completely sure as to why.

Still, I sense a symmetry to my beautiful demise,
Instilled with the notion I'll soon be at peace.

The Sun, the birds and trees.

© 2017 Lovecraft


Author's Note

Lovecraft
Just a musing on where would be a good place to die. ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Damn. This piece really hit me. I like how the speaker in this poem seems to find self-fulfillment and happiness, not in his accomplishments while he was living, but in the peace and serenity in the scene of his death. I also like the contrast you portrayed through imagery, with the bright day creating calmness and the bleeding man adding an eerie feel. The last line is my favorite ... it's so simple but complete. It's not what I expected, but nevertheless, it builds on the nuances conveyed in the second-to-last stanza. A perfect ending.

- William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thank you. Sorry for not commenting, the last couple weeks I've been too busy to do anything.



Reviews

What a way to go! Not a peaceful passing but he finds moments of peace somehow. Perhaps the knowledge that matters are out of your hands - no more worries - might make the blissful release. Who knows?
Well done for this thoughtful piece.
Regards,
Alan

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

6 Years Ago

That's partially what I was aiming for. When it's the very end, I believe it would be frightening bu.. read more
hmmm....i wonder if one would view death in such a way, will that one stop being afraid of it and welcome it like any natural development that happens in this life. I loved the implication, acceptance and peace that settles over the mind while reading this :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


I love this piece! I love the truth and the beauty. Life might be beautiful but there is terror in the pretty things. I like the paradox. We often think about the open sun as something wonderful and comforting. I love to hear a different perspective.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Seems like in a meadow. Reminds of a folk song. Have often imagined myself to perish in sunny peace.

Delightful poem, fellow.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

6 Years Ago

Thanks. Sorry it took so long to reply but I've had to deal with many things this past 6 months.
Wow... #You're a pro!! :D This is such a good poem, omg, keep it up! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Danke, Mr. Writer :)
Damn. This piece really hit me. I like how the speaker in this poem seems to find self-fulfillment and happiness, not in his accomplishments while he was living, but in the peace and serenity in the scene of his death. I also like the contrast you portrayed through imagery, with the bright day creating calmness and the bleeding man adding an eerie feel. The last line is my favorite ... it's so simple but complete. It's not what I expected, but nevertheless, it builds on the nuances conveyed in the second-to-last stanza. A perfect ending.

- William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thank you. Sorry for not commenting, the last couple weeks I've been too busy to do anything.
Interesting muse on the process of dying- where is the best location for this experience. You have good imagery.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Mary! :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BBP
You nailed it! The way you gave the beauty to the surroundings and sugar coated a gritty subject was perfect.

By far one of my favorite poems on this website.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Wow, that is indeed very high praise, thank you. I'm flattered that you found it such a good poem. .. read more
The thing I love about this piece is how calm it sounds. Dying is usually not this light of a subject, but when I read this, it feels like just another inevitable thing that gives us the opportunity to find peace in it. As if another daily chore, we can choose our attitude and really the outcome of the experience. I don't know, but I like this. Its almost as if you aren't exactly talking about death, but something else completely. Very thought-evoking..

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thanks. I was mainly talking about Death but it's also about how we take the beauty in and of Life f.. read more
If a person could choose those final moments - but i pray without the terrible pain - surely feeling the warmth, colour and activities of life around you, would bring you calm, even a little excitement, that you were able to just be.. for a while. Peace.. indeed.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Yes, a beautiful moment right before sweet oblivion...
emmajoy

7 Years Ago

if only that could be given without question.. I even know where i'd be,, God willing - not for a .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

598 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 4, 2017
Last Updated on March 4, 2017
Tags: Poetry, Poem, Death, Light, Fear, Dying

Author

Lovecraft
Lovecraft

Spencerport, NY



About
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown” - H.P. Lovecraft Scientia Potentia Est- Latin- Knowledge is Power.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..