Secrets We Carry

Secrets We Carry

A Story by Nici
"

More of a rant than a story, tbh (:

"

 

There's a moment--right after illumination--where it all goes dark. What you had, that brief spark, is gone. Extinguished. But for how long?

It's true, you know. Some lies last a lifetime. Some pieces are always broken. There's no glue or reason. Just the impossible reality: you are not as you were. You are not what you could be. You're somewhere in between, one foot somewhere and one foot nowhere.

Now, this can be either good or bad; it could lead to change, or you can turn your face away from it. It's the dull shine of the same once-bright coin. But if thrown into the air in those midnight moments, what then? It's difficult to see the outcome, and you must grasp your way along. It's like every promise ever made: you've got to follow through, until you've found it. There's no telling what you might lose or gain. You can only go on faith. Whatever amount of faith that you have left. Funny, isn't it, how that's so easy to lose.

These things, these secrets we carry, the things we've never done, the way we can't move beyond, and that feeling of being left behind--I'm not sure that they ever fade. How could they? When you're competing for something you can't even identify? You can't leave it behind. It's carried in each breath. That is, if you remember to breathe.

© 2009 Nici


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such wisdom my friend leads to your wonderfully put story. I enjoyed this very much.
Babsie Bee xx

Posted 15 Years Ago


you're a very good writer. i just read your other poems posted here also and was impressed by your use of language and images. this piece very nicely defines that limbo that we all find ourselves in. most of us just don't think about it much or try to hammer out the words to describe it. you've done well. keep writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 9, 2009
Last Updated on April 9, 2009

Author

Nici
Nici

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
Just another girl with secrets behind her eyes. I haven't written in a while-but I'm getting into the habit again. For now I'm just a professional procrastinator. more..

Writing
Fire Fire

A Poem by Nici


One Day Diary One Day Diary

A Story by Nici