NI - Under a Canopy of Lighted Streets

NI - Under a Canopy of Lighted Streets

A Chapter by BL
"

Let me know if you want to read more and I will add more content

"

'That night I walked through the warmth of the lighted streets of our beautiful city and felt its peace and presence around me. The soft glow and gentle heat felt like a canopy over me, I felt at one with the place, protected and connected. It was something I had taken for granted for so long, but not on that night, because I knew the next day I would face the savage and untamed world which would in turn lead to the centre of the empire of Italia and Rome.' ~ Bezon ~

[][][][]

Two sets of messages had been sent to Rome ahead of Bezon's voyage there, but no reply had come back and so he went on ahead, as planned anyway.

Bezon's ship, the Sea Serpent was no bath tub, it was a vessel built for speed and reaching long distances quickly. It was not heavily armed like a warship, which made it lighter and more manoeuvrable. It had a sleek, longer than usual hull that could cut through the water with minimal resistance, giving it room along each side for extra rowing positions, which again meant more speed. It had a thick, tall mast of oak which could hold an extra large sail, giving it an advantage over other boats. Outrunning the marauding patrol boats off the north coast of Gaul was easy, skipping passed the obstacles of cumbersome trading vessels was no problem, but more importantly accelerating away from enemy warships usually worked too. The Sea Serpent was the prize in the eye of the kingdom of Arun and represented its advancement in many ways, using the latest ideas and technologies. Bezon had spent many months with the designers and shipwrights refining, modifying and testing it as it was constructed to ensure it was as near to perfection as possible. It ended up having a shallow, slimmer hull, which was compensated with the new idea of a keel, all this meant it sang through the waves.

In his armour of tempered steel Bezon stood on the bow listening to the bottom of the hull crack against wave after wave, at each downward surge the spray shot up all around him, but unmoved he kept his eye on the dull horizon. Then kneeling down he stroked the smooth wooden ear of the serpent figurehead that sat below the bowsprit. 'Guide us and bring us luck' he said to it as he began to go deep into thought again, thinking of last night in the garden with Yulla, but all too quickly his thoughts were interrupted by footsteps behind him.

"Are you going to tell me where by the gods we are going?" A sharp voice snappily demanded. It was the bad tempered ships captain Enda.

Bezon turned slowly and with an air of defeat said "Rome,"

"Are those are orders?" Enda exclaimed, not waiting for a response. "I knew we were on a suicide mission, I just knew it" Bezon said nothing, he just carried on staring out to sea, his shoulder length brown hair blowing out behind him. "You can stand down if you like, it'll be five days before we reach there. You might as well relax. Shall I fetch you some broth?"

Bezon looked at him seriously, giving him brief eye contact. "Keep the ships lights low by night, we sail one hour after dusk, then we put in somewhere quiet. No broth,"

"Aye, aye Sir, but get some rest, you'll need it,"

[][][][]

The trip to Rome was a confusing one, a ruse, a mission of no hope, an information gathering exercise at best and also a delaying tactic. In the Sea Serpent's belly there was a chest full of gold, it was a present to the Emperor, a bribe to buy their kingdom good favour, so that their people might be treated better if or when an invasion took place. The very latest reports indicated a massive movement of troops heading north towards Briton, which could only mean one thing. Bezon hoped he would not be too late and the words he had rehearsed so well would be heard and would count for something. He had learnt some of their language over the years and now at the age of thirty had a basic vocabulary. It was like a code to him, every word was a careful step forward that was likely as not to go wrong, but might make the difference in the awkward and hostile situations ahead. He knew that the envoy he was leading could easily be brushed aside in an instant and the gold on board taken, with him and his crew killed or imprisoned. He had realised that was likely, but did not know what was going to happen to him. He also knew he was an expendable commodity, his father had three sons and so could afford to sacrifice one. Either that or his father saw a strength in him he himself was unaware of. He hoped he saw him as a survivor and maybe one who was lucky, he also hoped his father saw himself in him.

Again he cast his mind back to the night in the garden with Yulla, she had caught him with a heart stopping gaze, her eyes full and open. It made him lose his feet, he felt he was being preyed upon, he had never seen her like that before. She was different, powerful and sure of herself; it was a shock. Her actions weren't curtailed and polite, her language not considered and thoughtful, she was relaxed and natural, able to be herself and she glowed with it. She held his hand as they meandered between the apple trees and she let him kiss her once. He had retraced this memory so often he thought he would wear his brain out. He felt confused, his head hurt, it was like an illness. Was this the love sickness people spoke of?

Now they were alone together there was so much to say, but none of it could be said because it was so obvious. Love had made everything simple. She had spoken softly and had a look of enchantment about her as though she was at one with nature and the secrets of the world, but was giving him nothing of it, no sign of how she felt. He was an afterthought, the last to know, a little thing to be laughed at. It wasn't until he had to go, when she gave him the pale blue amulet that he knew he was in her favour. 'For luck' she said.

'I won't ask you to wait for me as I won't be coming back' he said his face on the floor in stifled tears, but then as she spoke his heart lifted.

'I will wait' she said, smiling. It was the best smile he had ever seen.

'Thank-you'

'I will pray for you' she said, he said nothing. He would pray for her too, but more than that he knew he'd be thinking of her a million times in a million different ways. That night before dawn he rode along the banks of the Solent, towards the waiting Sea Serpent with a meaning to his life. Italia and Briton meant nothing.



© 2023 BL


Author's Note

BL
Bowsprit is the boom at the front of the boat

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi BL, I loved the start with Bezon walking through the glowing city. The descriptive piece on the boat was brilliant. I could see it so easily. Now the story is truly coming alive. It was nice to feel the romantic interlude between Yulla and Bezon. The moments are so perfectly descriptive. Soon be moving on to the next part....Mike.

Posted 2 Years Ago


You are an amazing writer who know how to describe a certain moment.
it was very well written piece having an icing of the genre of romance and intelligence of Bezon.
thanks for sharing with all of us!:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


BL

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much
Irenic

8 Years Ago

welcome dear.......................................................:)
B: Now it's getting serious, detail is beautiful as is the content and plot. Also enjoying the vulnerable side of Bezon, just fabulous writing. The description of the Sea Serpeant is perfect, like he wanted it: Love this: When they were finally alone together there was so much to say, but none of it could be said because it was all too obvious. Love had made everything so simple. She had spoken softly and had a look of enchantment about her as though she held all of nature....just phenomenal writing. Am hooked. Thank you so very much....Dale

Posted 8 Years Ago


BL

8 Years Ago

Great - thanks
I'm looking forward to more of Yulla and seeing her and Bezon together.

NOTES: I recommended another pass of copy edits for this page

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BL

9 Years Ago

Yes I agree, that will be done, thank you
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

yw :)
Very nice Roman or ancient adventure story. First chapter about the boat just makes so intrigued in this writing. The way you described the vessel/boat, about it's features and detailed about it is wonderful. I'll read more of this definitely!

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

9 Years Ago

Thanks that is great to hear
Hey, I love writing like this, about the history of Rome, and the ancient empires of the time. And I think that you have done a wonderful job of recreating the Historical aspect of the period, yet creating your own story. I would love to see more!

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

9 Years Ago

Thank you and glad you are enjoying it, I am creating my own history, its easier that way. Chapter N.. read more
One more thing I thought of is that it would be interesting to know what yulla's motivation is for being so coy about her feelings. Why does she want to be elusive to him?

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

9 Years Ago

She's young and uncertain and also shy
Nila M.

9 Years Ago

I'm looking forward to the next chapter!
I really liked the description of the city glowing. It seemed very magical and I could imagine myself somewhere like that. I also, liked the details about the ship, how it was built, how it was different and why. Those kinds of extra details are interesting and draw you in. I appreciated the flashbacks to the garden and the more emotional side, it gave nice interludes the very military feel of the rest.

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

9 Years Ago

There will be more on the romantic front and this will develop - thank you
A very nice and interesting story or adventure. I like the details too...:).......

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

9 Years Ago

Many thanks ~ detail makes it real
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

Yep. You are welcome...:)..........
this story is getting more interesting each new chapter brings a new adventure
a great book

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

9 Years Ago

thank you for reading and staying with it Wordman, so glad you like it
 wordman

9 Years Ago

you are welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

719 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 13, 2015
Last Updated on November 15, 2023
Tags: Empire, war, peace, luck, Kingdom, army, romance, power, Memory, hope, fear, battle, spy, dust, adventure, fantasy, fiction, mystery


Author

BL
BL

London, United Kingdom



Writing
Nightwalker Nightwalker

A Story by BL


Apple Orchard Apple Orchard

A Story by BL


The Wedding Shirt The Wedding Shirt

A Poem by BL



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..