XNII - A Stone's Inner Light

XNII - A Stone's Inner Light

A Chapter by BL

Promises are washed away like dirt from hands in the face of coming war 

[][][][] 

All that could be done had been done and now all they could do was sit and wait. News came from the continent in erratic and contradictory form, which made for very unsettling living. There were some who stood true, some who said they were going to stand true and didn’t and there were some who openly ran. Houses became deserted, the crowds thinned and the roads and ports were busy with fleeing families. 

One recent event had been more disturbing than ever for Yulla was the public execution of the spy Roberto Macia. He Had died by a single sword stroke to the back of his neck which was over in a split second, but the build-up had been a horrible, gut wrenching torment for her as it advertised the entertainment of someone's death. The central square had been packed and anyone not attending could be considered to be not a supporter and possibly a spy themselves. 'All Spies Must Die' Alfos had said before he nodded to the executioner and the black masked man did his work. He had been questioned before his death, but it was obvious why he was there, there was nothing much more to find out. He was questioned, not tortured for information, but Roberto said little more than they already knew. They hadn’t told him the bird had escaped, he died not knowing that.


The reports from abroad were confusing up until a certain time and that time was four weeks before the invasion. At that time the army of Italia had disbanded from Lyon and a large part of it was heading north and west. Soon Briton would be under siege. There was no news from Bezon either, no reports of a ship having sailed to Rome, no tales of a hull full of gold. Something like that would have got back, everyone could only assume the worst. 


People saw the coming invasion as the end and tried to make peace with themselves. They took stock of what they had and re-evaluated it in a different way. Things once valuable were now obsolete and vehicles and a safe passage now had a high value, but were largely unobtainable. Yulla was going nowhere until told otherwise by her father and so made use of her time by trying to get the truth, if not a prediction from Wiznia. 

[][][][] 

"Can you see?" 


“See? Yes I can see,"


"Can you see if others are with us?" 


"Aaah, yes. I can often tell who has passed to the other side," Wiznia said.


"Is it bad news?" Yulla said. Wiznia looked at the girl, looked into her eyes and could see she was mourning the loss of someone, a lover maybe. 


“Who do you speak of?" he said. She was silent and looked down, her face red, then managed to look up, her lips uncertainly going to speak. He smiled at her softly trying to diminish his harsh looks. That was difficult with war paint on his face, large white feathers in his hair and a necklace made of animal jaw bones. He gestured her on, rotating his hand slowly.


"Bezon," she said in a whisper.


“Aahh," he said looking straight at her. "I am sorry," 


"Are you sure." 


"Of course I am sure," he shouted indignantly. "I have known for some time and consulted Duerra on it. I have seen that man’s fate..." his voice trailed off, losing its volume as he saw in defiance that she held up the dusty blue amulet that was around her neck. 


“You see I look at this and it still shines. It is not dull and lifeless," Yulla said looking down at the large stone.


"A mere reflection I expect," he said. She gave him a look of disagreement and disappointment. "It’s only a jewel," 


“But I thought you believed in such things," she said. Boudica who was sat behind her giggled. 


“I do of course, but..” 


‘Not dull and lifeless like it was before. There’s a glint in it, a glint of light like a captured soul. I know he’s still alive,’


‘It’s only a stone, it holds no magical powers. All precious stones and jewels shine and reflect the light,’


‘I know, but this one didn’t shine before, it was only when I gave him the sister stone,’ 

‘Can I see it please?’ He said holding out his hand. She took it off from around her neck and gave it to him. He examined it closely with thick glasses that amplified the light, they made his eyes look large. He looked at every corner of it, every fraction and angle of reflection. He took it outside for a while and held it up to the sun, letting the light pour through it, making different shades and bright colours. Then he brought it inside and looked at it by the fire, turning it an orangey-red. The fire heated it making it warm to the touch, but nothing extra came from within. Finally he took it to a dark place where there was no sound or light. There was no smell, just clean fresh air. In this quiet corner he looked into the stone to see what was there. He let his eyes adjust and time pass, but all he saw was darkness and the beginnings of the vague shape of the room. Very faintly he heard Yulla and Boudicca talking, the clucking of chickens outside and the wind in the roof. Now light previously unseen seeped in. It seemed into the darkness like water into a leaky hull. As it did there was the faintest flash of blue in the heart of the stone. It seemed that the stone was ultra reflective. He cupped it in his hands and looked through a hole in them; there was the faintest of glimmers.

 
‘Damn,’ he said aloud breaking the silence. He could not be proved wrong. He came back to them and their eyes were waiting. ‘I see nothing in it, but I will give you a reading of the stones,’ 


‘Thank you Wiznia, that is what I came for,’ Yulla said. She smiled broadly and it radiated her beauty.


In the dark of the hovel house that was of stone surround with animal hides for a roof and upper walls Wiznia placed his stones on the table. He doused the fire light with water and shut the bear skin door so it was all but dark. And in the dark their eyes grew to adjust. The dry skulls of antlered creatures loomed out of the gloom, eyelessly looking on and the oval shields of the ‘old men’ made dull shades of brown and grey, their white chevron markings catching the minimal light.


‘There are no snakes in Hibernian,’ Wiznia said, he dropped his head and went into quiet prayer.

 

‘I know,’ Yulla said. She smiled, her eyes wide and sparkling. 


‘Give me your hands my child,’ Yulla did and looked at Boudicca raising her eyebrows. ‘Leave them on the table face up so I can see your palms,’ she did and watched him as he placed the stones on the animal skin table. The table was in fact a large Tom Tom drum. He placed the amulet on the table too and as was its character it remained bright, reflecting what light there was. ‘I must have complete silence if the gods are to come close,’ he said admonishingly. He looked up through the smoke hole at the small wisps and plumes that mixed in with the blue.’ The skies are clear, the signs are good,’ both women looked up at what he was looking at and then returned their gaze to the table. As they did Wiznia got up and put on his black cape, it was made of fine cloth, smooth and unusual and edged with gold diamonds from its high collar to its hem. He then put on a large headpiece made of bones and black painted wood. It too was edged with gold diamonds. The costume made him look even bigger and grander than before as would make his words irrefutable. 

‘Are you ready?’ 


‘Yes,’ Yulla said.

 
‘Very well. Who comes before the presence of the gods?’ 


‘Yulla,’ 

‘Yulla who? Do you have any other names?’ 


‘No. My father’s name is Richard,’ 


‘Yulla of Richard, Yulla Richards what is your question?’

 
‘I need to know if Bezon is alive,’ she said her voice serious and measured. Wiznia waited, deep in thought.

 
‘The sea is full of serpents,’ Wiznia said and then went into a quiet prayer. 


‘Yes,’ she said, not understanding the out of context remark. Wiznia threw the three stones on the table between them. They rolled making the drum boom. The stones had flat sides, shaped roughly into cubes. Some sides had symbols and some sides were blank. As the stones rolled to a stop, two had symbols face up and one was blank. Wiznia smiled and nodded. 


‘As I thought,’ he said. He looked down, he was solemn, he looked at Yulla with the gravest of expressions. ‘Bezon is dead,’ Yulla began to cry and snatched up the amulet, putting around her neck. 


‘It can’t be, I know he lives, I can sense it, he’s alive,’ 


‘You refute the words of the gods?’ 


‘No,’ 

‘Then take their word and accept it,’ 


‘I…I,’ she said, holding her head down crying.

 

‘There’s something else. Your friend. I don’t know your name. You will come to the fore. The gods have recognised you, you were mentioned,’

 

 

 



© 2021 BL


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi BL, another fine chapter, the druids were so feared and looked up to at this time, their word was absolute. I don't believe myself that Bezon is dead. I shall wait and see what shall be. It is never good to try and go ahead of any storyteller. You are keeping your chapters tight and they are well written. I am enjoying the read. Have a wonderful Thursday....Mike.

Posted 2 Years Ago


leigh,you should be selling books

Posted 5 Years Ago


 wordman

5 Years Ago

well i meant you should have a real publisher that sells books for you ..
BL

5 Years Ago

I am trying - believe me - thank you for your support
 wordman

5 Years Ago

you are good enough to be there,you`re welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 15, 2016
Last Updated on October 25, 2021
Tags: romance, kingdom, war, memory, power, hope, fear, luck, peace, armt, empire, battle, spy, dust, adventure, fantasy, fiction, mystery


Author

BL
BL

London, United Kingdom



Writing
Nightwalker Nightwalker

A Story by BL


Apple Orchard Apple Orchard

A Story by BL


The Wedding Shirt The Wedding Shirt

A Poem by BL