The Waiting

The Waiting

A Story by Yue Zhang
"

One will unconsciously wait for something, when it is important.

"
The monotonous ticking of the kitchen clock echoed through the house, creeping up into the bedrooms, and climbing down the splintered stairs to the basement. The sunlight, bocked by the heavy curtains, wavered and skipped the house, in search of something worthy to shine upon. It appeared as if no one had lived in this house for hundreds of years, when in truth, there remains occupies. Still occupied by the lingering memories, and the poor soul who cannot figure out how to get to the next World. In the corner, next to the chimney place crouches Annie---the one hundred year old ghost of a southern belle. She hasn't been crouching long, no, only for a decade or so; time is irrelevant to a lingering spirit; however, each passing moment is torture for poor Annie, who only wishes to see her beau one more time, the one who passed away a century or so ago. If she could only figure out how to leave this World. They say that lingering spirits have something they need to fulfill, but Annie couldn't think of anything else she wanted to do. Floating around the house was getting boring. Letting out a windless sigh, Annie finally straightened herself and stood up. "I must have done somethin' wrong," she concluded, after a decade of thinking. "But what did I do? Did I steal something? No. Did I hurt someone's feelings? Occasionally, but they got over it. Oh, what is it?" It's been so long, that she almost forgot how she had died. "How did I die? Ah, I remember, I accidentally fell into a trench. Those battle scars ought to fixed by now." Poor Annie had fallen into an old trench, dug during the Civil War, and broke her slim neck. "Now, what was I, a proper lady, doing near a old battle field? I remember Henrietta calling my name, but then I didn't see her." The morning of her accident, Henrietta, Annie's closest friend, had called upon her to go shopping in town. Annie remembered this, because she had spent hours going through her wardrobe, trying on different dresses, in order to accentuate her beauty, just in case she bumped into him. She never made it to town. "Ah, this is so frustrating. I hate my clumsiness. I always get the short end of the stick because of it." He had mourned for her for a month or so. Annie had shed invisible tears while watching him pour his heart out. She knew he loved her, but he was human, and had to move on, eventually, even if it was too soon. She never found out what had happened to him, he never stepped back into this house. "He's definitely dead, and probably waiting for me in heaven."  Annie's excitement caused her figure to waver. "I must find a way." As soon as she stepped from the corner, she heard an engine outside the window. "Oh my, who could it be?" Unable to physically move the curtains, she had to step into the shadows in order to wait for the guests. The guests took a long time to enter the house, but when they did, Annie couldn't believe her eyes. Her beau had come back for her! He stood there, arms on his slender hips, blue eyes scanning the dark room, not a year older than the last time she had seen him. "Oh, how long has it been?" Annie whispered as she attempted to step out of the shadows. 
"Papa, papa!" A cherub version of her beau ran through the  front door and into his arms. "Papa, look what I found!" 
"Son, how many times have I told you not to pick up bugs?"
"Darling, he's only displaying his masculine side." The next person who walked in the door caused Annie's hair to stand on end. The lady looked young and sensual, wearing a dress too short, with a cut in the middle. She proudly walked to Annie's beau and planted a kiss on his lips. Annie silently cried out with jealously and rage. 
"Mama, Papa, hurry it up! Help me carry in the luggage!" The shrill voice was unmistakably that of a young girl's. 
All Annie could choke out was "He's married." 
Slowly, ever so faintly, in the darkest corner, the air particles waved, as if being disturbed, then stilled again. 
"Darling, it's too dark in here!" The wife quickly clacked to the large windows and forcibly yanked the heavy curtains apart, causing sunshine to spill in and fill the house with light. A zephyr danced into the house and picked up all traces of the bygones before sweeping out the door again. 

© 2011 Yue Zhang


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
Added on February 25, 2011
Last Updated on April 4, 2011
Tags: ghost, love, sorrow, death, dark, light, South, Civil War

Author

Yue Zhang
Yue Zhang

AZ



About
Hello reader, my name is Jenny Zhang, and I am a teen author. Hopefully, someday my books will become best sellers. If you have read one of my unfinished books, and wish to read more, please message .. more..

Writing