When you search for GOLD, and find a DIAMOND instead…

When you search for GOLD, and find a DIAMOND instead…

A Story by HappySoul

Ever since I developed my ‘smartness’ regarding Valentine’s Day and its significance, one of my secretly cherished dream was to get a beautiful red rose on this day from someone special. When I started seeing this guy in August of 2016, I started picturing scenarios in my head like every other girl on this planet. It’s strange, how all of a sudden, you meet someone, and all those years you spent waiting for that person, all that time, seems so negligible. All that matters is NOW!

I was happy. Why won’t I be? It was the first time, I thought I was falling in love. It was different. It wasn’t exactly as I had imagined it to be, but I was happy and that’s all that mattered. Every morning I would thank God, for bringing him in my life. I had seen many girls in highschool who would easily find a ‘perfect’ guy for them, and after one week, one month or for some lucky ones, sometimes one year, they would call for a ‘closure’ or a ‘breakup’. I remember asking my school friend who herself had almost 5 breakups,

 “Don’t you think, these modern day clichés like ‘getting into a relationship’, ’dating’, ’breakups’ and what not, are somewhere making us insensitive towards LOVE? I mean, how easy it has become to find someone we think we can spend our entire life with, and how easier it has become to get over the same person and ‘replace’ the same by someone we think is ‘better’!”

To which she replied, “Grow up girl. In which era do you live, the 90’s? It’s life, you gotta be practical. You come across someone, you try to build something, you offer something, you receive something, you enjoy the time because it’s ‘your time’. You don’t think much, you just go with the flow! That’s what it’s all about. Gotcha?”

Although, I had different views, I never dared to express them, maybe because I never found anyone of the views similar to mine. After all, love is a subjective thing, I believe. It has different definitions for different people. One cannot force everyone to agree to a specific definition, but one can definitely stick to one’s own definition of LOVE. I decided to stick to mine, so I kept waiting. And here I was, in mid October 2016, thinking about how lucky I was to find my ‘Soul mate’ in the first shot itself! It was all worth the wait.

Another special person, worth the wait was Minie. Minie met me in my second year of graduation and she eventually became an inseperable part of my life. Being a little introvert, in my early school days, I never had a lot of friends. So, a ‘best friend’ was another person I was waiting for and had always dreamt of having in my life. And I found Minie.

As per December 2016, I was living in a new city, with three of my college friends including Minie and I was working in a good company. Supporting parents, caring friends, loving boyfriend, good career, I had literally everything I could ever ask for. All I was waiting for, was 14th of February 2017 since it was going to be a significant day for me, now that I was in love!

Fortunately or unfortunately, I don’t know, but in the first week of February 2017, my guy broke up with me. He had no reason for leaving. After constantly asking him for 2 days, he ended up saying, that he wasn’t in love with me, he simply thought he would fall in love, but he never did!

That’s the drawback of making someone the centre of your world. When the centre vanishes, your world technically loses its symmetry and it’s never the same. I remember, how excited I was for the entire Valentine’s week and how hard my friends tried their best to console me.

After crying bitterly and cursing my own luck for almost a week, I woke up on 14th of February with swollen eyes to find the most beautiful thing on my bed. It was a bunch of pretty red roses with a note that read, ‘To the most beautiful girl in the world. Keep smiling, it adds a natural shine to your face!’ And the moment I read it, I couldn’t hide my smile. Teary eyed, I looked around and found Minie with a camera and my other two roomies who came running towards me to hug me tight.

“Get ready, go wear that red dress you bought last month. We have scheduled a ride at 10:50 am. You hardly have got 25 minutes. Go! Go! Go!”, spurted Minie.

“But where are we going?”, I asked.

“It’s a Surprise”, the other two shouted excitedly.

I couldn’t stop smiling. I did as I was told and we went off. It was a ‘trek plan’. ‘Treking’ was something I never tried, but I always wanted to. After a worthy afternoon and evening, we four went to a lavish restaurant. Minie had booked a table for four. On every other table, I could see couples who were celebrating their love. It was only our table, where FRIENDSHIP was celebrating LOVE.

Suddenly, a man on the table next to ours, went down on his knees and proposed the lady with him, in a typical Bollywood style.

“I can’t remember how I fell in love with you. It started with friendship and today, you have become the key to my happiness. I couldn’t have found a better person than you. Today, you are sitting here with me, and I feel the luckiest man in this restaurant. Will you marry me, and make me luckiest man in the world?”, he asked.

“Yes”, she said reflexively and everyone started applauding including me.

The moment I turned my head away from them, I saw three girls, each one sitting on her knee, exactly like the man did, with a rose in every one’s hand. The lights went off and the spotlight paved its way on the four of us.

“Who says, Valentine’s day is made for lovers? Valentine’s day is made for Love. It’s for all those who know the value of love and who respect it and we love you a lot. Will you be our Valentine and promise us to be our friend for the rest of our lives?”, they said.

“Yes”, I reflexed almost crying. I am sure, my ‘yes’ wasn’t audible to them due to the loud cheering of others. But my smile and my eyes filled with tears and happiness were clearly visible.

That night, I felt the luckiest girl in the world. True, I expected the same type of thing, but from someone else. What I got, was something, I hadn’t even dreamt of! Life blesses us in unusual ways. In the process of searching LOVE, I found something more precious- “FRIENDS who love me more than a LOVER”!

© 2017 HappySoul


Author's Note

HappySoul
Honest reviews will be truly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nicely written. You write good dialogue; you write it like people talk.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

HappySoul

7 Years Ago

Thank you mam!
good one..
commendable job

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

502 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 15, 2017
Last Updated on February 15, 2017
Tags: #friendship, #love, #relationships, #breakups, #moderndaylove, #valentine'sday

Author

HappySoul
HappySoul

Pune, Aundh, India



About
I believe writing is the most beautiful way to communicate with a larger audience.. it's power is simply great! more..

Writing
The 'Sin' The 'Sin'

A Story by HappySoul