Depth Of Danger Chapter 2

Depth Of Danger Chapter 2

A Chapter by Mark Witterick

Chapter 2:

 

Thud!

 

I quickly rose from my chair. “Get downstairs the path to enlightenment is here!” I knew who had arrived before the sounds of speech arrived at my ears. Sam insisted on charging through the door instead of knocking like a normal person. Not that I minded, Sam was my best friend, she has been for many a year now. Her full name is Samantha. but if you ever call her that you'll have a concussion rather than a conversation. Her parent’s folly as she considered it in choosing such a girly name had bred anger within her since birth, we all thought, for she never acknowledged it in any way. Her nature too was the total opposite of girly, hence why Sam and I had hit off from the start, her independent nature drew me to her in a way I couldn’t describe, but it meant we were best friends from day one.

“What have you brought to kill both time and my brain cells today?” I asked jokingly. I ducked quickly to avoid a pillow thrown at me as I descended the stairs. “Shut it! You know you love me so come here and enjoy the journey.” She replied. I took one look at the running time and shook my head slowly at her. “Really? You expect me to sit here for how long exactly?” She turned from the TV with a sly grin on her face. “Well there will be pizza half-way. Is that motivation enough to watch it all?” She had me there. She knew my one weakness.

Food. It would always keep me tied to anything.

Also, unless I was mistaken there would be a giant bar of chocolate on the side she had brought with her. She held the key to my heart indeed. I knew my future wife had a lot to surpass to take over the role Sam currently played in my life. “245-minute run time. Is that worth a pizza and a big bar of chocolate? Hmm let me think it over for a while.” I stood with a puzzled expression looking directly at her. “Three Chocolate bars actually. You were good last week so this time you get a reward, be grateful!” Sam added threateningly. “Or else!” I knew it was an empty threat. Sam was not a violent person at heart, in spite of the pain she could inflict once she was riled, I’d learnt painfully what buttons not to push a long time ago. Besides I had a trick up my sleeve. I quietly crept to the kitchen to get the plate I had prepared in anticipation of her arrival. As I returned she looked up, “We will order Pizza before we start so it is here- Wait is that what I think it is!” She jumped up shouting eagerly snatching the dish from my hand. Pomegranate. Sam’s one weakness. Generally, a fussy eater she was a nightmare at restaurants. However, if there was fruit around she was all over it.

 

“Yo’ you people.” I jumped out the chair pointing at Sam. I don't know how it started, but this phrase became somewhat of an inside joke between us. No one really understood why or how, us two included.“Hmm? What?” Her confused reply came her eyes not moving from the screen. I hit pause. Bad move. The onslaught of death and destruction arrived in the form of a 5”9 60kg human embodiment of violence pinning me to the couch under a barrage of pillows. “NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! OR I WILL END YOU!” Came the promise of death.

 



© 2017 Mark Witterick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on June 3, 2016
Last Updated on December 29, 2017


Author

Mark Witterick
Mark Witterick

United Kingdom



About
I am a person I believe. I make stuff. I like feedback. more..

Writing