From the Flames Life Was Reborn

From the Flames Life Was Reborn

A Chapter by Brandon Lee Cochran

Its been nearly four months since we have started loading the cargo ship with materials and supplies we will need for our pilgramage across the ocean to find a new home. Now, we're ready. Janie has become accustomed to us, now knowing we are mutated and of the knowledge we possese over how this plague came to be. It's as if she has replaced Angel, but she can't. Angel was more to me than anyone else. Clenching my fists at the memory of her decapitation by my hands, it's something I can never forgive myself for. We've all made sacrifices during the apocalypse, but I think losing her could be the greatest I've ever faced. ''Aaron, are you finised loading the last of the supplies?'' I spoke to Aaron not even letting my gaze off of the water in its morning gloom.


  ''Yeah, we're all set. Madi and Janie are in their cabins.'' He said.


  ''Then let us leave all this death behind. We sail now for our new home.''


  We set sail as soon as Aaron untied the cargo ship off of the dock. Aaron looked at me once he got the ship on course. ''So, what happend to that little zombie basterd of yours?''


  I shook my head ''Freed from his cursed undead body, he is but a spirit in the mists of death now.'' I looked at Aaron seeing how focused he was on making sure the ship stayed on course. ''At nightfall your heading to your cabin to get some rest. You hardly had any since we found Janie.''


  He glanced at me and then back out to the ocean ''I've just found her after five years. I'm not going to lose her again.'' I nodded, I understood how he felt.


  Nightfall came and Aaron was releived of keeping the ship on course. The night was cold and the sky was full of stars. Madi and Janie were out on the deck admiring the constelations. Sitting in the captains seat I played with my dagger, making cuts across my palm and watching them as they healed almost immediatly. I know what I am now. Something much more cursed than this damned plague.


  I heard giggling outside of the control room and Madi opened the door and sat beside me. She looked at me with those eyes that looked like they've endured much pain. ''So, where are we heading anyway, Brandon?'' She asked with a curious look on her face.
''Somewhere we can start a new. Theres a large deserted Island not to far away from where we are now. Once we reach the shoreline we can start rebuilding our home.'' I replied.


  She smiled ''A new start away from death.'' I nodded.


  After a few long moments of silence she fell asleep. Now, darkness was my only company. I kept my eye at the horizon and watched for any sign of the island. After a moment of boredom my thoughts drifted to something else. If I was able to regenerate Janie and bring her back to sanity, what else could I do? My mutations were still changing my genatics, but what of the others? There has been no sign that they have any other supernatural powers... that is unless theirs are not yet as developed as mine. I was snapped out of my thoughts by Madi mumbling in her sleep. ''No, no Brandon don't go. No!....'' then she went silent again. I raised my eyebrow, that was weird. I took my hand and put it gently to her head and I glimpsed what she was seeing, a nightmare.
It took form slowly but after a while it was like seeing a movie in the theater, crystal clear image as if I was there. Madi was calling out a name, Brandon. But it wasn't me she was calling out to. It was Brandon Losier, a boy she loved dearly. She was kneeled beside him crying into his bloodstained shirt, her gun a few feet beside his body. She had shot him, a bullet hole was centered into his forehead. Then the nightmare faded away and I was back in the control room with Madi.


  She misses him. Madi was like a sister to me and there must be some way to make her happy again... and I know just how I can do it. I stood up and leaned against the wall. I looked at my hands and they ignited into a purple flame, mixed with touches of crimson. I held my hands together, when I pulled them apart a ball of purple and crimson flame floated in my grasp. I took the ball and threw it to the ground making it ignite into an inferno on a focused area away from Madi. I walked towards her and placed my hand on her head pluck a thread of memory from her mind. It was babyblue and weaved through the air like a snake in a feild. I took the thread to the inferno and set in the flames. It burst bright read and slowly made the fire turn dark crimson like blood. I could no longer see through the inferno, but I knew what I had to do. I stuck my hand in the blaze and something grasp my wrist. I pulled untill there was a figure next to me, Brandon Losier. The flame died quickly.


  I wrapped him up in a blanket and set him next to Madi. They were both asleep. I nodded, from his death he was reborn. And I walked away leaving the two to sleep and the ship to keep its course.



© 2011 Brandon Lee Cochran


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

red not read

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ah-mazing!


Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

430 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 25, 2011
Last Updated on October 25, 2011


Author

Brandon Lee Cochran
Brandon Lee Cochran

Terre Haute, IN



About
My name is Brandon Cochran, I'm a fictional writer. A lot of my writing contains vampires, demons, werewolves/lycans, or zombies. The characters in my book are based off of my friends and myself, with.. more..

Writing