Returning Home with a Burden

Returning Home with a Burden

A Chapter by Brandon Lee Cochran

         Aproaching the two massive doors that lead from the Great to the large, lengthy corridor that lead to my part of the two kingdoms. The doors were pure obsidian studded with large black spikes with the ensigma of my kingdom, a black bat wearing a crown of shattered bones. As soon as I got to the doors they opened themselves to allow my self into the corridor. The corridor was quite impressive. The floor was sleak, glistening obsidian. Standing along the walls were statues of gargoyals, werewolves, and vampires bairing their fangs. Covering the walls were bannisters as red as crimson showing my ensigma. The windows were barred black metal with stained glass impicturing horrific scenes of death and dark mythical creatures.

 

 

          At the end of the corridor were two more doors, the same as the ones at the entry of the corridor. Two figures in full suits of black and crimson armor stood guard by the doors. The bowed as I aproached the second set of doors. Like the ones before they flew open when I got to them allowing me to onto the large blackened stone bridge. Below the bridge layed a seemingly endless abyss that stretched for about a mile. On the other side of the abyss stood a tall and massive castle of obsidian. Ontop of the thick walls were gaurds walking back and forth, standing watch over the castle. An enormous tower rose high above the walls, the walls them selves were about four miles high. There were other buildings whos tops barely peaked over the walls but the tower made them appear puny.

 

 

          When the guards saw me aproaching they began opening the massive gate that sperated the kingdom from the outside world. The gate, like the others, was two doors of obsidian with black spikes and my ensigma on each. But, unlike the other doors, these were about five times their size. As soon as I entered inside the walls of the castle the gate began to close behind me. I continued to move forward to the tower passing by the erie houses the lined the streets. There was no color to the city, everything was either black, crimson, or shades of grey. The streats were quite today, like they are every time the two kingdoms meet at the Great Hall for the meetings.

 

 

          Finally reaching the tower I stopped and looked at the walls that seperated the tower from the rest of the city. The walls weren't as high as the ones that are on the outskirts of the city protecting the those inside but they were still fairly large. Walking towards the large doors, again similar to the others in the corridor. The doors swung open and two servents bowed, their faces covered. I nodded towards them and they stood straight again. The doors of the tower burst open and two children ran faster than anything I have ever seen tackled me to the ground and shouted ''Dad!''

 

 

           I chuckled softly hugging them tightly. ''Alex, Alice! I've missed you two so much!'' Angel stood at the doorway of the tower smiling. I picked up Alex and Alice, one in each arm, and walked over to Angel. I kissed her deeply. ''Who knew being away from your family for only three days could nearly kill you inside.'' I said smiling.

 

 

            Alex was born five years ago, he has my black hair and blue eyes and his mother beautiful angelic face. Though hes only five he is extremely strong and fast for his age, same for his sister. Alice was also born the same day has her brother. Shes one of those girly girls, but for a girly girl she wont hesitate to take a knife and try to slice your throat if she needs to.

 

 

             ''Dad,'' Alex was looking at me extremely excited ''I took on three guys today and won!''

 

 

             ''You did? Good job!'' I exclaimed.

 

 

              Alice tugged at the collar of my armor ''I learnt how to throw daggers! And I hit the target every time!''

 

 

              ''Great job sweety!'' I looked at both of them. ''No father could be as proud as I am of the two of you.'' They both smiled widely. "Now go on back in. Your mother and I will be with you in a few for dinner.''

 

 

               Alex shouted ''Last one in is a decaying carcuss!''

 

 

               ''Hey! Thats not fair! No head starts!'' shouted Alice after them. I chuckled.

I looked back at Angel and sighed. ''Losier got mouthy with Aaron today.''

 

 

               "Oh god, what'd he do this time?'' Angel said shaking her head.

 

 

                I explained to her what happened, starting with the cake and then Aaron exploding him into pieces. ''God thats grim.... Why did he call me a w***e?''

 

 

                 ''I think it was just a quick snap at me to upset me. It worked'' I shrugged.

 

 

                 ''Did you hear the news?'' Angel asked me looking half happy and half distrought.

 

 

                  ''What news?'' I asked raising an eyebrow.

 

 

                   ''Madi is with child, well, I should say children. Shes pregnant with triplits.'' Angel replied half smirking.

 

 

                    ''Well s**t, Aaron and I kind of killed the father. Wrather violently if I might add.''

 

 

                     ''Bring him back like you did those years ago on the boat.''

 

 

                     ''It's not that simple. On the boat I brought him back because he was in one piece, not incinerated and in billions of pieces. The only way to bring him back is to bring him back as a vampire. And you know what the law is. The undead stay here at Necropolis and the living in the Haven. He won't be allowed to leave the city without breaking the Law.'' I said thinking of what it'd be like for Madi to have to raise her children and then them never knowing who their father is. He'd be an outcast of the living.

 

                     ''I think we should call the council together so we can discuss this upon both parts of the kingdoms and the Law.'' She said with such simple resolution.

 

 

                     I nodded. ''Send a message to the others to call council.''



© 2012 Brandon Lee Cochran


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

490 Views
Added on June 7, 2012
Last Updated on June 7, 2012


Author

Brandon Lee Cochran
Brandon Lee Cochran

Terre Haute, IN



About
My name is Brandon Cochran, I'm a fictional writer. A lot of my writing contains vampires, demons, werewolves/lycans, or zombies. The characters in my book are based off of my friends and myself, with.. more..

Writing