Why Father?

Why Father?

A Chapter by Lino Rie

Why Father?


“Father where are we going?”


 I said as my father dragged me through the forest. Not even caring that I had no shoes on, especially since I wasn’t expecting to take a hike at 1 o’clock in the morning. Why were we running through the forest? I wish he gave me time to change out of my pure white night gown.


“We have to get to Gregg’s house before he leaves for work. We would have been there earlier but you decided to take a bathroom break!”


He was always like that to me. He never appreciated me for everything I do for him ever since mom died. He didn’t even say thank you for making his and my clothes. He never bought anything unnecessary and to him that was clothes, electronics, and toys. I never got presents that where fun or entertaining. I guess I was just a disappointment to him.


“Why are we going so early in the morning? He’s probable not up any way.”


My legs grow numb from the combination of the cold damp air and the small branches slapping them repeatedly. It was hard to continue running as fast as my father since he knows the forest so well.


“Oh, he’s up. Now stop talking or I will make sure you never come back home ever again!”

 

    I know he was a jerk, but this wasn’t his normal mean, this must be serious. I continue to run as fast as I can but I still have tons of questions like why am I coming and why are we going to my father’s work buddy’s house? I’ve never been to Gregg’s house. Actually I’ve never been outside of our fence since I turned 17 last year. He dragged me out of the middle of class when he noticed I wasn’t home. If only mom were still here. He was a lot nicer when she was around. But that all ended when I turned 10. 


“We’re almost there. Keep running or so help me I will leave you here!” 


I picked up my pace even though my legs felt like they weren’t even there. For a minute there I though he left me but looked back to see him panting to death as he ran. I wasn’t even breaking a sweat and I lounged around more than him. Then I remembered that he was 50 and I’m about 18. He always had problems with his health even though he ate right, exercised, and never smoked or did drugs in his life. Instead of slowing down to ask if he was all right I kept running. He would only yell at me. 


“The house is just up a head!”


About Twenty steps later we burst in to a clearing. It was beautiful. The moon was bright and beams of light hit the blades of long golden grass just right. I wish we could of stopped to look at the landscape just a moment longer. But I kept going. I didn’t want to get left behind. There was a great big what looked like a cabin about ten yards away. I assumed that this was Gregg’s house so I slowed down gust enough that my father was directly behind me. 


“Watch out for the chicken wire!”  


His shout scared me to death. When I finally saw what he was yelling about it was almost to late. I thought I was going to trip and take a nasty fall when, to my surprise, my body acted like it knew what to do.  I jumped almost five feet in the air did a flip and landed in one piece! I was shocked! I have never done that before. How could I do that with out any special training! 


“WHY ARE YOU JUST STANDING THERE? KEEP RUNNING!”


Still in shock I looked back to see him stubble over the 2 foot fence. Then I snapped out-of-it and started running again. I still had questions I wanted answered.


“WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!”


“Just keep running or so help me I will burn every last one of your paintings when we get home!”


Not my paintings! I would rather be left in the woods than have him burn those paintings. Before my mom died she gave me a whole bunch different paints and 2 canvases. She told me that if I ever ran out of canvases to paint on that I should ask dad to make me some. He would make the canvas frames and my mom should me how to make the paper to put around it. Then she taught me to make the paints just in case I ever ran out. She must of known that she wasn’t going to be around much longer. Those paintings are the only things I have to remember her by. If they were gone I would go insane. With that in mind I ran to the house and didn’t even check to see if he was behind me.


The cabin looked dark and abandoned as if no one lived there for centuries. I feel like I was heading into a cemetery the way the cold, damp air chilled me to the bone, but I didn’t want to lose my only memories that I had left of mother to a flame. So I kept running to the unknown. Not carrying what would happen next. Not knowing who this Gregg guy was or even what he and me father had planned for me. Only ten more steps till I reach the door of the haunting house. I take another step and a blinding light causes me to slip into the side of the wooden house. It didn’t even feel like wood it felt like a concrete floor. I felt my forehead to see the damage. When I touched it a stinging pain shout through my entire body as if someone was electrocuting me. Lying on my back in pain, I looked to the door and saw a man standing there laughing, but then he looked out across his yard and his facial expression changed to what looked like anger or regret. 


“ So, you made it after all John.”


The strength of his voice made my whole being quiver under its presence. I wanted to stand up and back away but my body wouldn’t listen to me as if my mind was no longer at the controls. I couldn’t even speak! What the hell! I knew I hit my head hard but not hard enough to make me immobile. I strained to look at my hand to see if there was any blood or anything, but it was clean. What kind of trouble am I in to deserve this?


“I’m sorry about your daughter but I didn’t expect her to beat you here and I thought she was, you know.”


“ Oooh, that’s all right. It will be easier to transport her to Valdar this way she won’t fight back when she finds out she’s never coming back.”


WHAT! He made me run all this way and told me that he would leave me in those woods just to turn around and leave me with some one named Valdar! What did I do? Why? Why! WHY FATHER? With what little strength I had left I spoke.


“Why daddy?”


“ Because you’re my only hope to survive my curse.”


Curse? Curses aren’t real. What do I have to do with his survival? I was no more important than a dog before but now I’m important! For all those years I’ve been abused. My body all of a sudden felt stronger than it ever did. My limbs felt like they where in a flame my father fuelled with greed. I got up and lunged in the direction the man at the door was looking. To my surprise I was stopped right away by, who I’m guessing is, Gregg. I looked at my father and saw shock, sorrow, and regret all at once in his eyes. But that wasn’t all I saw. I saw what looked like a greenish, purple mist surrounding him. He must of saw my expression change slightly because he began to walk right up to me.


“Your not what you think you are. This proves it. I’m sorry I’ve been cruel to you all these years but it was the only way to make it easier for you. If I don’t do this then he will come take you and kill anyone who stood in his way. I’m also sorry that I lied about your mother. She never died.”


She’s alive! She never died. Then who did we bury? 


“What?’


“That’s why you could jump that high. Why you can probably see my aura. Why you could run so fast. Your what we call a Nemora a person of great power. You will develop power over all the elements over time. That’s what you are, and that’s why I acted this way to you.”


For the first time in my life I see him start to cry. But this was no excuse for what he did. My rage grew to the point that I couldn’t hold it in any more. I screamed and forced my hand out of Gregg’s grasp and through a punch his way. Before it made contact I felt something hit me in my mid-back and then I blacked out.



© 2012 Lino Rie


Author's Note

Lino Rie
What do you think? I would like some comments and or thoughts.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think this is a well written story and it is verry intreqing. i would like to see another chapter of this story if i could write as good as you i would probably write the next chapter myself! verry well written and nice cool theme!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very Interesting!! Keep writing!!! 100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with Chelsea Yates!! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lino Rie

11 Years Ago

Thank you. ^-^
Anonymous Girl

11 Years Ago

You're welcome ^^
Powers??? Yay, love the background story and suspense of it all, well penned indeed ;)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lino Rie

11 Years Ago

Thank you. just incase someone was wondering I named her dad John cause of my dad. My experience wit.. read more
Castonovia

11 Years Ago

My pleasure. Wow, well, people say with experiece comes good writing material... glad he doesn't and.. read more
Very nice!!! I like the ending. very mysterious

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lino Rie

11 Years Ago

Thank u
:o this is really interesting and intriquing
Kinda reminded me of Fullmetal alchemsit for some reason, i dont know why lol

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lino Rie

11 Years Ago

thank you ^-^ that helps to know what others think!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

390 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 16, 2012
Last Updated on November 1, 2012
Tags: Confusion, Frustration, Loneliness, Nothingness, love, betrayal, power


Author

Lino Rie
Lino Rie

Williams, MN



About
I'm a girl who has little confidence and almost no talent. I'm 19 and have long blonde hair and blue eyes. My fears include: spiders, needles, not doing things right, disappointing others, and be.. more..

Writing
I am... I am...

A Poem by Lino Rie