My quest for Knowledge

My quest for Knowledge

A Story by Brentley
"

A scholorship that is due on March 15

"

A small boy sits in the back of the car and asks his mother the question again, “Mommy, why is the sky blue?” She fumbles around for an answer that she can’t come up with and results in telling him something along the lines of, “That’s the way God made it, honey.” Hiding the disappointment from his small childish face, he goes on to torture his mother with his never ending questions.

            This was a familiar sight to me all of my life. My mother said that I would never stop asking questions. Until this day I’ve remained the same inquisitive child at heart. My questions have change. The desire to know them has never waned, but became stronger.

            I’ve always wanted to know anything and everything. My Civics teacher said I was “omniscience”.   If only I was that then I wouldn’t have all these questions. When I first went to school I was so excited. I was ready to learn everything I could. My dreams were shattered on my first day.

The beginning of the “Quest for Knowledge” is to read. I learned to read at the age of four, but I guess that didn’t stop kindergarten teachers from teaching you the alphabet. My “Quest for Knowledge” was stopped again.  

           Elementary and middle school followed suit. I didn’t know everything and I’m not saying I was the smartest kid there, but I always had questions. I still couldn’t learn everything, but I wanted to. I wanted to stop doing the work I had to do and get back on my quest.

            Now I sit here writing this out wondering, how could anyone want this more than me? I narrowed it down and realized I’d settle with just knowing all about psychology. My passion for psychology has driven me through high school.

            I’m not expecting to be the greatest mind ever to grace this earth. I don’t even think I’m even one of the greatest minds of my school.  I do believe there are few who want to know as much as me. I want to get a higher education because I want to know everything. No, I need to know everything.

                       Being a student will be my job for the next section of my life. As my hero Freud said, “Love and work are the cornerstones of our humanness.”

I do intend to love all of my work.

 

 

© 2008 Brentley


Author's Note

Brentley
I need reviews for gramatical purposes thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yes. The love of learning. I get so excited at the prospect of learning something. It is such an adrenaline rush. To read, to see, to hear, to know the answer to a question. You will do well in school. It isn't neccesarily the courses you take, though. It's what you do with your time. Good luck.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A few grammatical things:

"My questions have change" (changed)

"The desire to know them has never waned, but became stronger."
either:
The desire to know them never waned, but became stronger.
or
The desire to know them has never waned; instead, it became stronger.

"I don't even think I'm even one of the greatest minds of my school." [maybe just use "even" once?]

Only those few minor errors. Otherwise, well done on an interesting essay.

"The beginning of the "Quest for Knowledge" is to read. I learned to read at the age of four, but I guess that didn't stop kindergarten teachers from teaching you the alphabet. My "Quest for Knowledge" was stopped again." - I related to this; I learned to read when I was 2. The health clinic said maybe I was gifted. We spent the first year doing s**t with the alpahabet and numbers 1-100. I got kicked out of class for saying I was bored (politely but firmly). They wouldn't believe that I'd read the books I said I'd read and wouldn't let me show them. The first year of school really sucked. Guess maybe your education system is as unversatile as ours - dragging some down, leaving some behind; only the middle section benefit.

I hope you get this review in time for the scholarship thing.
Good write.


Posted 16 Years Ago


Yes. The love of learning. I get so excited at the prospect of learning something. It is such an adrenaline rush. To read, to see, to hear, to know the answer to a question. You will do well in school. It isn't neccesarily the courses you take, though. It's what you do with your time. Good luck.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Looks great. Give me a printed copy and a red pen, and I can get rid of the grammar mistakes. I didn't notice any really bad ones, so that's a good thing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is really great! Is there a requirement for length? You may want to take some of these ideas and expand on them. I really like the ideas that you've expressed here. It's strong, just add a bit more if you can.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

i enjoyed the piece... i love when kids ask questions... the why ... nicely done... if you change it or add more to it please send it to me again... would love to see what you do with it if you decide to change it...

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
5 Reviews
Added on March 11, 2008

Author

Brentley
Brentley

Coatesville, IN



About
I'm an 18 year old high School student who lives in the middle of no where. I'm a dork. I've been technically writing for about 6 years, but I didn't really start writting until about two years ago. M.. more..

Writing
Let Me Be Let Me Be

A Poem by Brentley