Ailing Cassie

Ailing Cassie

A Story by Briege Havern
"

Written for a contest.

"

The blankets felt too heavy on her, but she didn’t have the energy to move them. Sweat trickled down her temple which left her feeling all icky and gross.

‘I hate being sick,’ she grumbled to herself. She moved slightly, trying to get comfortable, unsuccessfully. The sudden sharp pain in her ear made her wince, and a wave of nausea rose through her. Thankfully the pain eased quickly and she managed to keep the contents of her stomach down.

Her mum came to the doorway, glancing in at her with worry she asked, ‘Cassie would you like some soup?’

Cassie inwardly groaned and had to stop herself from rolling her eyes. Her mum had been offering her soup for the last twenty four hours, as though the soup was some sort of miracle cure. Plus the thought of food made Cassie feel queasy.

‘Not right now,’ Cassie managed to make her voice louder than a whisper.

She sighed with relief when her mum nodded her head and told Cassie that she would check on her later before she left the room. Cassie knew that her mum meant well and was doing what any caring, loving mother would do but when Cassie was ill all she wanted was to be left alone.

Pain tore through Cassie’s ear once more, this time though it was accompanied by an acute headache. It felt as though someone had put her head in a vice and slowing tightening it. Her eyes watered but her stubborn streak refused to allow herself to cry. With great effort she rolled onto her stomach and gently placed her forehead on the pillow and the pain dulled slightly leaving her feeling drained of energy. Just before she lost consciousness she thought, maybe I should have gone to the doctors like mum said.

© 2014 Briege Havern


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on September 2, 2014
Last Updated on September 2, 2014

Author

Briege Havern
Briege Havern

Newry, Northern Ireland, Ireland



About
I love writing, weaving words together to create a character, a scene, an emotion etc. I have done article writing in the past and enjoyed researching topics and writing about them but nothing can bea.. more..

Writing