Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Brittana0909

Narrator's POV

It was a perfect spring day in Los Angeles, as usual, when Adrianna Guerrilla and her friends were out for a girls day. Adrianna and her best friends, Amanda and Emily, had spent a day of shopping with their hard earned money. Well, in Adrianna's case it was her money, her friends preferred to max out their parents' credit cards instead. Deciding to escape the afternoon sun for a while, the three women decide to head to their favorite afternoon spot, Starbucks. Since Amanda and Emily need their schedules for the week, they soon find themselves inside the familiar establishment.

"We've been out all day, guys, I really need to head home and get ready for work. I'm just going to order something and I'll text you later. Okay?" the brunette asked her friends as they enter the building.

"You've been such a downer lately, Ade. I mean, no offense, because we love you, but you never want to do anything fun anymore," Emily complains as she makes her way toward the counter. However, it is not Adrianna's fault that her friends aren't as mature as she is. They know she's finishing nursing school, has a full-time, paying internship, and a daughter to take care of at home. She doesn't understand why they still act like they're in high school. Oh wait, she does, and its spelled D-A-D-D-Y.

"Well, I would like to spend time with my daughter before work too, since you two have kept me away from her all day. I miss her and she's just started to walk and I know will be getting into all my family's things."

"Hold up. You know your family never cares when Autumn is over and they shower her with so much attention I doubt she even notices you're gone," Amanda comments over her shoulder. She misses the hurt look at shows on Adrianna's face at the thought of her daughter not remembering her.

"I just.. I'm ready to go home."

As she watches her friends, Adrianna spots a familiar head of blonde hair and her breath hitches for just a second. She hasn't seen that perfect blonde hair for over a year and was sure her mind was playing tricks on her. It's just your imagination, you haven't seen or spoken to her in months. Plus, she lives in New York. Pull yourself together. The young Latina thinks to herself, but her heart is telling her something else. She frowns to herself knowing how much she wants her heart to be true. However, in this instance, her head wins because she cannot see the rest of the other woman's body or face because of the various machines and fixings upon the counters. She's brought out of her thoughts when she hears her friend complaining again, only this time it's not to her.

"God, if you can't move around back here, maybe you should find a new place to work,"

"Better yet, just go back to the wild, I heard your breed of elephant is going extinct," the friends laugh at themselves, and as the other woman backs up, Adrianna finally gets a good look at the woman's face and her heart flutters at the site. She does a happy dance in her mind for a second, because her heart was right. There, behind the counter, is her ex-girlfriend.. a very pregnant ex-girlfriend. Memories start to flood the brunette's brain. Their introductions. The endless flirting. The insistence that they were just best friends. That party. Their first fight. Their first kiss. The beach. The coming outs to families. Countless nights of sneaking out to see each other. Nights filled with tears. Their senior year. Them falling in love. Their first time. And now, the thought of her pregnant with someone else's baby. I just want her to be happy.

She's brought back to reality when she hears a heart breaking sob and her friends scoffing. Her love is sobbing because of what Amanda and Emily have said to her and it fills the Latina with anger. That woman gave her a year of sunshine when her world was boring and monotonous and seeing her cry brings back the memory of a promise that she made to herself and her lover. "As long as I'm with you, I will do my damndest to make sure no one makes you cry, I promise you." And she's not about to break that promise now.

"Mackenzie?"


Mackenzie's POV

"Mackenzie?" I hear and my breath instantly hitches. I know that voice. I've thought that I heard it so many times in the last couple years, but it never sounded so real. I turn and see her. My first and only girlfriend. My Bubbles. "Adrianna."

We lock eyes for what feels like years and I see the softness and love in them that I've missed so much throughout the last two years. I display the same emotions back to her for a second before I remember the condition I'm in and I really don't want her to see me this way. I'm ashamed. I have a feeling that she saw the hurt in my eyes before I looked to the cracked tile of the floor, because she became the Ade that I rarely saw while we were dating. I know she's mad.

"How dare you?" She started yelling, I didn't have the heart to look up. A part of me feels she's upset with me and I feel my anxiety starting to take over. "How in the hell can you sit there and insult a woman who's pregnant and working harder than both you b*****s ever will in your life? You two are seriously so fucken disrespectful!"

I try tuning her out because even though I know she isn't yelling at me, this isn't the Ade I loved, that I still love. This is the Adrianna that had something to prove. This is the HBIC, not my Ade. My breathing is starting to go uneven and my doctor told me that my anxiety has been causing stress on the babies. I'm trying my hardest to get it under control when I hear her voice again.

"You two are my friends, but seriously, you both have been judgmental, selfish b*****s lately and I am not going to let you be around me anymore if this is how you're going to act. I'm sick of it!" Her last sentence was an octave higher than the rest of her argument was and I know it is because she feels bad for yelling in front of me, she always did because she knew my anxiety would rise. What she didn't know right now though, was that since I'm pregnant, I cannot be on my old medication, so my anxiety is ten times worse.

I'm gripping the counter top so hard that my knuckles are turning white. My chest hurts because I cannot even out my breathing. I try making eye contact with her, because I need her. She's right here, right now and even though we haven't seen each other in years, I know she will help me calm down. I finally lock eyes with her and she runs over to me when she sees the fear in my eyes.

"Choochie, I am so sorry for all of that. I am so sorry, but they have been annoying me all day and that just tipped me over the edge," She explained softly as she grabbed my right hand with her left, just like she always had. We always had an open policy with each other. No secrets. Which I think is why we fell so hard in love so quickly; Adrianna, ever the optimist she is, simply puts it down to 'fate.'

"I need you to look me in the eyes and I need to you breathe with me, babe. Slow, deep breaths. In... and out. In... and out." The brunette says as she places my right hand over her heart and her left hand over mine. This was always our way. This was Adrianna's way to tether me to reality. She started doing this after I passed out from an episode the week before we started dating. She had seen my episodes before, but that particular one was caused by my b***h of sister.

"Oh my gosh! You totally have a girl crush on Adrianna!" I jumped as Quinn squealed in my ear after my friends left the house.

"What the hell are you talking about? No I don't!" I retorted defensively. I was absolutely love struck by the girl, but I wasn't about to let Ms. Kiss A*s know that. "I still have more homework I need to finish, so if you could kindly move your a*s out of my way." I tell her as I start to move around her to go up to my bedroom.

"Now, Kenzie," I stiffened when she said the nickname Ade used with me as she said goodbye minutes before. My family has never been one for nicknames, "where's your usual 'everything is sunshine and rainbows' attitude? It sure sounds like something is bothering you. Care to share with your favorite sister?"

I turn to see her s**t-eating grin and my chest starts to tighten. She knows she's getting to me, but I cannot walk out. I just cannot let her win. "Shut the f**k up, Quinn! I don't like her! You don't know what you're talking about." Sure, Adrianna and I had been super flirty since we met a couple months before and we hung out a lot more than any of our other friends, but I didn't think Quinn or the rest of my family picked up on anything. They are either never around or too busy with business that they don't notice me.

"Oh honey, ladies do not use that kind of language and you don't really think I'm buying that do you? You two were all over each other tonight and your friends kept winking every time you two would stare each other. The other day, I came downstairs and you were practically on her lap at the breakfast table. She already has half your closet filled with her clothes and you guys wear each other's clothes all the time! Seriously, you need to watch yourself, sis, or people will start to wonder and boys will lose interest.."

I can feel my nails digging into my palms as I try to keep myself together and clearheaded, but I know I'm having a full-on panic attack right now. I can barely hear my sister as she continues to talk to me and I faintly hear the front door opening. I hope to God it's my parents to send her off and leave me alone.

"..seriously, mom and dad are going to find out and you will never be happy or live a normal life." She had made sure to lock her eye contact with me, just to get her point across that much stronger. "You're already going to hell for just thinking those thoughts about another girl. It's absolutely disgusting! You're a disgrace to the whole family." That was the last thing I heard, before I felt my knees give away and my vision went dark.

I do not know how long I was out, but when I started coming to, I felt a beating on my hand and someone running their hand through my hair. "Kenzie, I need you to come back. I need you with me. Puedes oírme?" Adrianna is whispering to me and her speaking in Spanish always has an even more calming effect on me. My eyes flutter open to see her staring at me; both adoration and fear flashing across under her eyelashes. I see that she has my right hand on her heart and she stops her tracks in my hair to put her left hand over my heart. "I need you to breathe with me, my love."

I stiffen at her words for two reasons. One, she's never called me that before and two, because I still see my sister standing behind her and the new information gave her another grin to plaster on her smug face. Adrianna senses my fear and brings me back with her. "Kenzie, breathe. Forget her. Just focus on me and breathe. Please. You need to or else we have to call the ambulance and they'll force you to take your medicine." She explains softly to me. "Calm down with me and we will get ice cream after your medicine kicks in." I try my hardest, but still give a weak smile. "There we go. Ready? In... and out. In... out. In... out."

About ten minutes goes by and I'm finally calm enough to take my medicine through my inhaler. She doesn't allow us to leave our positions until my medicine has kicked in. I know she promised me ice cream, but at this point I just want to collapse into my bed and sleep. It's already 9 o'clock and we have school in the morning.

"Why don't you go up and get into some pyjamas? I'll grab some ice cream and spoons from the fridge. We'll watch Disney movies and I'll stay with you tonight. Si?" I don't know how she does it. We've only been friends for a couple months and she can already read my thoughts. She's amazing. I silently nod my head and she helps me stand up and walks with me up the stairs. My left hand in her right. I sit on my bed while she picks some pajamas out and sets them next to me on the bed. She bends down and kisses my forehead and silently leaves the room, closing the door behind her.

'I don't like her,' I think to myself, 'I love her.'


Adrianna's POV

I can feel Mackenzie relaxing against my hand, so I break eye contact for a second to stare daggers into my so-called friends' eyes. They at least have the decency to look guilty. I lock eye contact with my blonde ex yet again and I see guilt and embarrassment in her cloudy blue eyes. I've always loved her eyes, they were the first thing I saw when I met her.

"Where's your medicine, Kenzie?" I whisper to her as I rest my forehead against hers, never breaking eye contact.

"I-I-I don't have any. I can't take it, because I'm.." I see tears well up in her eyes and her body wracks with sobs. I hold her tight and I'm just thankful that the shop is empty, because I know she's embarrassed enough about what she's going through without the extra viewers. She tucks her face into my neck and I feel her tears starting to cascade down my chest. I look up at Emily and Amanda and glare at them to give us some space. They get the point and go to the break room.

"It's going to be okay. Shhh.. Calmate, mi amor. Shhh.." I whisper into her hair and I start rubbing calming circles over her back. I continue this pattern of words and motions for about five minutes when I feel her sobs subsiding and her breathing starting to even out. When she looks up at me, I try and show her love and support in my eyes for her.

"You don't have to explain anything, but why don't we get you home, get into some pyjamas? I can pick up ice cream on the way over. We'll watch Disney movies and I'll stay with you tonight. Si?" I smile as I speak to her, because I know that my saying that brought back the same memories as it did for me. She smiles back and my memories pulled me back to that night.

As I walked back into Kenzie's room, I set the tub of ice cream and two spoons on Kenzie's side table and walk over to her closet to pull on a tank top and some boy shorts. As I walk back into her room, I see my best friend and crush laying on her bed. Her blonde hair is splayed across her pillow and her eyes are watching my every move across her room. I decide on one of her favorite Disney movies, I put it in to get it started and I walk towards her and climb over her to lay on her left side. This is always our go to position no matter what we're doing.

She turns over to pass me the ice cream and hands me a spoon; the tub sitting in between us in front of our linked hands. I know she is always more calm when we have some sort of physical contact. Ever since we met a couple months ago, we just always have to be touching in some way. The movie starts and I see a small grin splay across her features. It reinforces my thoughts that I picked the right movie.

We watch in relative silence for a while until she speaks up, "You know, I always wanted a dog. I was never allowed to get one though because my parents don't think I'm responsible enough." I turn to face her completely to show her she has my full attention.

"Honey, you're 16 and you've never had a dog?" I ask her slightly shocked at this information. She looks down to the ice cream and shakes her head quietly, "I've never had any pet," she whispers. "My parents say I'm too irresponsible and I will get bored with it too fast like I did with my toys as a child, but that wasn't the case at all. I wasn't bored. Yes, I get hyper and bouncy, as you know, but I just wanted someone to play with. I thought that if I had the newest, best thing then Tyler and Quinn would want to play with me or kids from my classes and lessons would invite me to hang out with them, but no one ever did."

We've always had this unspoken rule that we were completely honest with each other, Kenzie thinks that's why we mesh so well, because neither of us has had somebody like the other in our lives. I honestly just believe fate brought us together, because I've never had these types of feelings for anyone before. Boy or girl. "It just shows that they don't know you as well as I do, because you are the most caring, dependable, loving person I know, choochie."

She looks up at me and I can see the disbelief in her eyes. I just want to take all her pain away and I can tell her family is the cause of a lot of it, which is why we usually hang out at my house. I put my left hand over her heart and grab her right hand to put over mine, just as I did the hour before. "As long as I'm with you, I will do my damndest to make sure no one makes you cry, I promise you, and that includes your stuck up mess of a family." As I finish, I can see her trying to protest, so I do the only thing I can think to do to support what I just said.. I closed the gap between our lips and I kiss her.

At first, she tenses under my hand, but within seconds she completely relaxes and kisses me back. It is not a rushed, heated kiss, but it is a kiss that expresses all the feelings I have for her and I can feel that she has all the same for me. As we pull away, we rest our foreheads together. My brown eyes meeting the most perfect blue ones.

"Can I make you another promise?" I whisper to her and I see her eyes flit down to my lips for a second before meeting my eyes again. I feel her nod her head slightly. "When we are a little older, I promise I will get you a dog just like Dug."

"But, he's a talking dog." She says and I see her smirk at her own response.

"I will find whatever dog you want. Whether he's big or small, talking or silent, real or stuffed. Whatever you want, chiquita, I promise you that." I finish my declaration just as she kisses me again.

Our first kiss. It's one of my favorite memories and one I will never forget. I think of it often. As I help Mackenzie off the floor of the coffee shop, I walk her back to the break room to get her stuff and tell my friends that they can now take over the rest of her shift. I don't even bother to turn around as we walk out to the protests of the two glitter twins.



© 2016 Brittana0909


Author's Note

Brittana0909
Honestly, I'm in such a slump with this story and I haven't been able to write in it for about two years, but it's a goal of mine to finish, because it's the first thing I've ever written. Any constructive reviews could help or anything that would be cool to write about in future chapters. Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on June 12, 2016
Last Updated on June 12, 2016
Tags: fiction, adrienzie, babies, family, girlxgirl, hollywood, lesbian, lgbt, love, relationship, rwyb, soul mates, toddlers, twins


Author

Brittana0909
Brittana0909

Los Angeles, CA



Writing
Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Brittana0909


Chapter Four Chapter Four

A Chapter by Brittana0909