My Love Drug

My Love Drug

A Poem by Brooke Alexandria

I feel schizophrenic.  I’m all over the place.  One minute I’m super annoyed with you and the next minute I can’t get enough of you. 

 

You are my drug.  I drink you in.  Even when you are annoying and bad for me, I want more of you.  I can’t get enough of you.  I’m addicted to you, to how you make me feel.  When I take you all in, I get high�"highly in love with you. 

 

But I’m afraid to overdose for fear of being dependent on you.  I can’t let you take over my whole body, my whole being.  I must only take you in moderation so to not totally give myself over to you.

 

So as soon as I feel myself slipping into dependence, I pull back.  I try to wing myself off of you.  Try to handle things by myself. Try to find love, satisfaction, joy from myself.  I withdraw from you, which pushes me into�"withdraw.  The absence of you makes me low�"lowering my desire to love. 

 

I become mean, angry, bitter�"my heart closes and hardena to keep out the vulnerability, to keep out the dependency.  But being in this state is lonely…and miserable. 

 

So I begin to open up my heart again.  And on and on it goes.  I’m high then low, up then down, afraid then lonely.    

 

I don’t know how to even out my temperament.  I don’t know how to live a balanced life in a state of calm.  It’s like I get a rush from the randomness.  I enjoy the adventure.  I depend on the drama….

 

Maybe that’s my bigger drug�"drama.  Maybe I need it to thrive, need it to function.  Maybe I need drama to make my life a bit less mundane.  Sometimes relationships just go through the moments, maybe I create drama and seem all over the place because I crave the noise, crave the obstacles. 

 

My relationship is up then down, up then down�"is it my fault?...

© 2011 Brooke Alexandria


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

As with "Security" this has the same dimension...
the usage of the words and the placement of them...
gets you into this verse...
I guess in the end of this is a ? mark...
time will tell when you're ready to give in...
and not feel in limbo...

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is a great story, a good message behind these words. Never depend on anyone without being able to stand on your on too.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 27, 2011
Last Updated on August 27, 2011

Author

Brooke Alexandria
Brooke Alexandria

Cincinnati, OH



About
A natural writer, Brooke Alexandria studied journalism at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, but it was her passion for helping others that prompted her to share her writings with the public. Brooke Ale.. more..

Writing