Late Night Stormy Paranoia

Late Night Stormy Paranoia

A Poem by Don Shaw
"

A poet searches and searches for words.

"
        Late Night Stormy Paranoia
 
                          He sat by candle light, shadow flames against a wall.
                          Pen in hand and pad of paper, insane voices down the hall.

                          Calling, Calling, Taunting, Taunting , itchy rafters under roof.
                          Madly writing, sweaty brow, shaggy beard, and single tooth.

                          Insane voices, creaky floors, cob web dances in a draft.
                          Late night stormy paranoia, writing spirals down a shaft.

                          Eerie laughter that he mutters, ice cold veins that beat with in.
                          Smiling plants, and singing rodents, last nights supper on his chin. 
                   
                          Voices calling, calling, thoughts are fast, like bat wings beat.
                          running around laughing wildly, setting down, then changing seats.

                          Writing fast, talking loudly, word induced insanity.
                          Late night stormy paranoia, soul consumed with calamity.

                          Viewer peers through dirty window, feelings which were very sad.
                          insidious acts of one old man, a desperate poet completely mad  

                          Pen is tapping against his forehead, gleaming look in his eyes.
                          Swarms of moths in his mind, continuous sounds of eager sighs.

                          Frantic pacing wall to wall, front door smashes  unto steps.
                          Lighting bolts and thunder crashes, head cocked back howling, MORE!

                          Late night stormy paranoia, jumbled words are his demise.
                          Late night stormy paranoia, haunt this poet as he cries.

© 2014 Don Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ees
In the second to last stanza you use crashes twice which sounds too hard when reading the poem and the second crashes almost screams to be called "clapped" or claps.

This was an interesting poem with a hint of a story contained within. The image of this poet was very vivid. That is partially due to a romantic view I think most of us do have of these crazy writer types that we claim to be. Of course there is a reason for such a view.

This was fun to read and a little bit startling.
Great job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love the rhythm of this poem with the repetition and the rhymed couplets; I don't rhyme much so that's a skill I admire. You have captured so well the "insanity" that often drives writing, and you've skillfully chosen such apt words.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Don Shaw

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ees
In the second to last stanza you use crashes twice which sounds too hard when reading the poem and the second crashes almost screams to be called "clapped" or claps.

This was an interesting poem with a hint of a story contained within. The image of this poet was very vivid. That is partially due to a romantic view I think most of us do have of these crazy writer types that we claim to be. Of course there is a reason for such a view.

This was fun to read and a little bit startling.
Great job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Strong echoes of Poe, but completely your own, with a powerfully confident voice in describing the coming apart of a man with a poet's soul, an artist's psyche, and a hermit's potential madness all meeting at a nexus of midnight black. Extremely well done. You definitely put us there, right on the creaky floorboards next to him, and we are held fast in that mode whereby one wants to run quickly away, yet is glued to the spot by the sheer entertainment value of the dread that witnessing insanity produces. Bravo!~ and well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very creative and very original. The pacing seems to skip a bit just a bit in the eight stanza first line after the comma. Not enough sylables there. None the less I lie this piece very much.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Brillant creativity and flow!

Posted 12 Years Ago


....And you have writer's block?.... Even if that, you are a madness of creativity. I am at awe!

Posted 12 Years Ago


That was fun - for you to write... I can - CAN, feel the smile behind your eyes as you ended this one.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
ha..brilliant..what a joy to read the ramblings of a mad poet put so brilliantly togethter ...each stanza breathes the emotion of the piece..great work

Posted 12 Years Ago


Boy, do I like this poem. A truly fitting expression of what it is like to lament and lament over the choosing and the choosing of the most perfect words. A total joy to read. I rated this very high.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1370 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 1, 2011
Last Updated on April 6, 2014
Tags: Insanity, mad, night, poem, stormy, poetry, poet, paranoia, crazy, voices, words, writing

Author

Don Shaw
Don Shaw

San Angelo, TX



About
I love the art of expression, be it of paint or pen, or a spoken word. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..