"Cuckoo" - Chapter 4: The Emperor's Castle

"Cuckoo" - Chapter 4: The Emperor's Castle

A Chapter by Jason Bubbleo
"

Thomas presents Klein to Emperor Tartan at his castle.

"
Klein and Thomas walk out of the peasant village and come into a beautiful wide open field, Klein observes the grassy land with intrigue and wonder, as he remembers what a field even is. They both steadily travel across the field, birds sing as they glide across the blue sky and the ambience of the peasant village grows distant. At the end of the field is a flowing river, Thomas clumsily hops to the other side and Klein gallantly jumps across like an athletic gymnast. At the other side of the river is a path that leads into a city and in the distance, a huge intimidating castle looks down upon the small homes below. Thomas explains "This is the city centre, it's where many upper middle class folk live and the emperor is in that castle" Klein gulps as he looks up at the menacing castle, which has a sharp and rough architecture.
Thomas leads Klein into the city, people wave at and greet Thomas as they walk through the streets. One woman runs up to Thomas and excitedly says "I read your newest book Mr. Wissington, a truly remarkable tale that spoke from the heart" Thomas thanks her with a nod and hurries Klein through the streets, eagerly wanting to present his new friend to royalty. Thomas and Klein arrive at the castle entrance, the writer waves at the guards, who respectively let the celebrity author pass through without a fuss but they guard Klein from entering. Thomas explains "He's with me gentlemen" and the guards grudgingly let him go through. Thomas and Klein walk into the dignified and refined entrance hall of the castle, paintings of past monarchs are neatly placed on the walls and tapestries depicting historic events are above each portrait. 
Thomas opens a large door that leads into the throne room, where the emperor and empress sit elegantly on their exalted seats. Under a matter of seconds, Klein recognises the emperess' beautiful face and starts loudly shouting "Mercia! Mercia!", which shocks her highness, startles the emperor and embarrasses Thomas. Thomas tries to calm down Klein, who grunts "Sister! My sister!" and the emperor adjusts his eyes to recognise his guest, he smiles and bellows "Thomas! My favorite wordsmith, you didn't tell me you had come to Appanila!" Thomas bows at the emperor, Klein growls at the emperor and looks at the empress with concern and worry. Thomas explains "Your majesty, I came to your beautiful country for inspiration, to help influence my next novel. However, while wandering your quaint woods, I came across this fascinating wild man! He can carve anything at all and has adapted to the land with skill and instinct." The emperor strokes his bushy beard, looks carefully at Klein and smiles. 


© 2014 Jason Bubbleo


Author's Note

Jason Bubbleo
Criticism and Opinions are encouraged.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
Added on December 6, 2014
Last Updated on December 6, 2014
Tags: Sister, Wild, Field, Village, Peasants, Palace, Writer, Celebrity, Guard, Paintings