The Last Seen Queen

The Last Seen Queen

A Story by Burr the Story Sorceress
"

Malin Fisher is the Balance of Powers during the Adept Massacre. She won't let her people kill the Light Users unless they must. She is only 19 and must chose between saving her people or living her own life.

"

        It has come to my attention that the view of the Balance’s position, even after my colorful comeback, is clouded. This may, in fact, be my own fault, but it was my only option at the time. 

        As you may have guessed, I am the current Balance of Powers. The Balance has been protecting the people of this world from the Dark for centuries. Under her command, or rather, living in her mind, are four of the seven Elements of Power, the only living ones. The Four have lived inside the Balance since before the Second Great War between Light and Dark and her control over them is almost unshakeable. Not only does she have four other people living in her head, she must guard and guide her people, the Adepts. Sadly, she has been unable to do this for three hundred and fifteen years. 

        The reason for this was the Adept Massacre that peaked during the reign of Malin Ruth Fisher, one of my many past lives. Malin was a loving girl of nineteen when she came into her power as Balance, the youngest in history besides me. After several horrible occurrences that nearly shattered her control over the Four, she was forced to choice between the continuing murder of her people or her own dreams. 

        I am not here to tell the textbook facts as all children are taught in the fifth grade, which is very far from the truth. I am here to tell you what really happened, as I remember it. I was, after all, there, front and center. I will let Malin’s memories shine the light of truth on the dark lies that all think of as true.

 

* * * * * * * * * 

 

        It's late spring. Pink flowers and the scent of roses drift on the light breeze. The sky is a bright blue and what few clouds are present are the fluffy white clouds that little kids like to watch float over them. It is a perfect day for picnics in the park, outdoor birthday parties, kite flying, and other fun things. 

        And I had to go to spend all day listening to older people complain. 

        Council Meetings are necessary, I know, but it would be nice if they are held somewhere else sometimes, like in the Meeting House gardens. It would be better if they open one of the huge window. I would have to talk them into going outside this afternoon. 

        “Morning, Lady Malin!” a familiar voice calls. 

        I turn and see John. He is, by far, the youngest of the Adept nobles at twenty two, three years older than me. He is an Air Adept and his familiar, a golden eagle named Quickwing, is gliding above him. He taller than me, around five feet nine inches, with golden tan skin and sandy blond hair. His blue eyes smile at with with genuine affection, unlike most of my other nobles, who don't quite like me that much. When he catches up with me he bows formally. 

        “Good morning, John,” I say sweetly. “How are you and Quickwing today?” 

        “Very well, Your Majesty.” He stands straight again and lifts an arm for his eagle to land on. He lands on John's wrist and says hello to me in his native tongue. I coo back at the large bird and pet the feathers on his head. John pulls an envelope out of his pocket. “I have a letter for you, Lady. Quickwing brought it to me this morning. He tells me a bright man told him to make sure you got it.” 

        “A bright man, Quickwing?” I ask the bird as I take the envelope. “What sort of bright man?” 

        'He was shiny,' the eagle replies on the common metal path familiars use to talk to those they are not bound to. 'Like the full moon. All silvery with bat like white wings.' 

        I look at John, worried. Bat wings and moonlight can only mean one thing. A Dragon. 

        “Do you think they would try to hurt you with a spell sealed in the envelope, Lady?” John asks. 

        I let my Earth magic run over the envelope, testing to make sure that there is nothing but the letter inside. “It's clean.” I say and open it. The letter is short, more like a note than a letter, but it is what it says that worries me. 

        'Lady?' Quickwing asks, tipping his head to one side. 

        “The Meeting is starting early in the Meeting House gardens. Tell the others. There is no time to loose.” John bows again and Quickwing takes off. I run the rest of the way to the Meeting House around the corner.

 

* * * 

        The Adept nobles waste no time getting to the Meeting. Within ten minutes of the call, everyone is present and worried. The Balance, Queen of the Adepts, has not called an early Meeting in ninety seven years. I pace in front of the large, cushioned chair at the far end of the courtyard. Other chairs are placed in a large circle, one for each noble. The whole area smelled wonderfully of roses, tulips, and carnations. When everyone is present and the wide verity of animal familiars are settled, I stand in front of my chair and address them. 

        “Hello, my fellow Adepts. It is a lovely day today and I am sorry to have brought you all here an hour and a half earlier than was planned.” The nobles nod, accepting my apology. “Not long ago I was given a letter from John Airinis. John,would you please tell your fellows how you got this letter.” 

        John stands, Quickwing on his arm, and says, “My familiar, Quickwing the eagle, was given the letter and told to make sure it got to Lady Malin.” 

        'A bright man gave me the letter,' the bird explains. 'He was silvery like the full moon with white bat wings. He gave me the letter, told me to give it to Lady Malin, and flew away.' 

        The nobles mutter, even more worried than before. They also know, as John and I do, that the shiny man is a Dragon. 

        “I have the letter here.” I raised the piece of paper into the air. “It reads:

My Lady the Balance,          

       Greetings and good day to you and your's. We humbly request your presence at the the house of our oldest pair at eight o'clock this evening. We wish to discus matters of great importance to you, the Queen of the Adepts. It is our hope that you will come to this gathering of leaders of our two races. We extend a temporary truce and promise to do no harm on you if you do no harm on ourselves. 

                   Sincerely,                    

            The Royal Light Users

What do you think, my nobles?” 

        Everyone starts talking at once. The Air Adepts, as happy-go-lucky as Wina, the Air element herself, wanted to go. The Fire elements wanted to go and start a fight, which is what Feu agrees with. Aqura's Water Adepts didn't want to insult the Light Users by not going but didn't want to go either. The Earth Adepts Lyrena is linked with thought it was a good idea to go to see what the Light Users wanted. 

        I raise my hand to call for silence. When they are all quite, I say, “I will consider your thoughts on the matter and discus this matter with the Four. Now, is there any other news?” 

        Two hours later I leave the Meeting House with a heavy heart. More Adepts have died in what the human media has termed the Adept Massacre. It makes my heart sick to know so many of my people are being killed by Dragons. Until the Royal Light Users decide to stop the murder, no one can really do anything. The humans were staying out of the whole conflict, which is a good move for them considering they could only get killed trying to stop the two elemental races. 

        My nobles want to attack to Light Users out right, instead of just defending themselves as a former Balance ordered. I,however, can not be the one to change that order. Even though the Light Users are killing us,even though they hate us for something we never did, we can't attack them,I can't attack them. They are the children of Unra, the first Balance's twin sister. That makes them family. I can not farm family, not unless my life depends on it. I want to save my people, yes, but not t the cost of lives. 

        I walk the few blocks between my home and the Meeting House. I have another meeting to get to.

 

* * * 

                When I arrive at the large house, I am left in a large room a bit bigger than a normal classroom by a servant. The wall to the left of the door is floor-to-ceiling windows with bright purple, smooth velvet curtains and a set of glass double doors leading to a balcony. Outside the room is a lovely garden with many different plants in it and the muted sounds of birds and woodland animals drift in through the closed windows. A faint flower scent hangs in the air from where the windows had been left open. The wall to the right is covered with large bookcases full of books, little statues, and small portraits of various people. The air near the bookcase smelled of new and old pages. In the center of the room is a large, solid reddish-brown wood coffee table. Fluffy, purple-cushioned arm chairs and day beds are spread out around the room. The plush rug is the same shade of purple as everything else in the room. The walls and ceiling are a deeper purple. Everything that isn't purple is gold, such as the inlays, designs on the furniture, the embroidery on the cushions. All the wood in the room is the same reddish-brown and smells strongly pin cherry trees. The table, chairs, day beds, doors, picture frames, and bookcases. On the opposite wall is a huge double door. The empty wall space by the far door and the entrance is filled with painting of beautiful nature scenes. The room is mostly quite, filled with an intimating silence broken only by that muted noise form outside that seemed to push down on anyone in the room. The air tasted of the world outside and the pages of books. 

        The room reminds me of what the Unicorns and Dragons I have meet in the past were like. Very beautiful and appealing in many ways, but cold and oppressing trying very hard to be friendly. I sit in the chair set apart from the other ones and waited for my hosts. 

        A group of people come in through the other door. Three men and three women, the youngest of which is around fifty three. All have light hair and blue or green eyes. The women are a little pale and the men are lightly tanned. They settle themselves around the table. Directly across from me is the oldest couple, the owners of this house. 

        “Greetings, Lady Balance,” the oldest Unicorn says. She is small and wrinkled, with eyes that probably smile more then look cold as they do now. Her robes are a deeper shade of purple than the room's walls or the robes of the other two Unicorns, who wore a bright, cheery lilac. “I am Anna Lightone, the head of the Royal Light Users. This is my mate, Darrin Lightone.” The old man next to her inclines his head. I do the same to the both of them. Darrin must have been muscled and beefy in his youth, but is now rather skinny. His robe is a brilliant gold and the other Dragons wore dark gold. “Lina and Max Sunsprite and Cleo and Jake Moonbright are here as well.” The Sunsprite couple are sitting to my left and the Moonbright couple on my right. I politely bow my head to them as they do the same to me. All of three couples do mot look happy to be here with me. 

        “Good evening, Royal Ones, it is my pleasure,” I say politely as I hide my unease. “The Four also send their regards.” 

        The couples stiffen at the mention of the Four Great Elements, but quickly recover. “We are glad the five of you have come to hear us out,” Anna replies. “May we get to the reason for this meeting, Lady Balance?”

        “I do not mind in the slightest, Lady Anna,” I nod my agreement. “I am very curious about the reason for your request to speak with us.” 

        “Here.” Darrin places a legal looking document on the table. “We are getting tired of the killing between our races. We wish to offer a treaty.” 

        Surprise fills me, but I somehow manage to not show it. I pick up the paper and start reading it. “We are as tired of this killing as you are, Royal Ones.” It was basic enough. The Light Users would stop killing the Adepts if the Adepts stopped killing the Light Ones. I continue reading until I reach the last paragraph. It states a price to actually put the treaty into affect. And the price was... 

        I stop read and look at the old couple in horror. “No,” I say flatly. 

        “Come now, Lady Balance,” Max says. “Yes, it is a blood price to pay, but it is fair. The Balance killed Unra and we need something that means the same to the Adepts as she it meant to us.” 

        “You except me to let you kill me!” I can't keep the anger out of my voice. “And even if I was to even consider that, you can't except me to decide now!” 

        “Lady Balance, please calm yourself,” Anna coos with no real feeling. “Is your life worth more than your entire race? Is it really so big a price to pay to insure the safety of your people. Our peoples could even become friends in the future.” 

        That makes me stop completely. Isn't it what I want? To stop the killing and make the world a better place? To be the one to bring the elemental races together? 

        But I don't want to die. I'm only nineteen. There are so many things I haven't done. I haven't completed college or read all the books on my list or had a family. I haven't even been on a real date yet. I don't want to die. 

        “We just want you to think about it for now.” Cleo's voice brings me back from my thoughts. “That is all we ask of you right now.” 

        I nod and stand, the treaty in my right hand. “If that is all, then I will leave now, Royal Ones. We have much to think over and discus.” 

        I open the glass double doors, jump into the sky and fly away from the snobby, cold Royals.

 

* * * 

        The day after my meeting with the Royals is rainy. The wonderful weather of yesturday is gone in a spring storm. The sky is heavy and dark. The rain casts a menacing dimness to the world and it makes it hard to see. The shadowy light makes my heart sad.

        My parents, Marukin and Brena Fisher, went out to have dinner together a couple hours. Every other week they went out to have a nice dinner and chat. It was a great time to stretch out on the sofa in the living room and watch TV, but I am too occupied for relaxation. Since getting home late last night after going for a swim in Jade River, I have been mediating,talking to the Four. 

        In my mind,there is a neutral ground were the five of us meet and discus things. It is a solid white room. In the center is a pile of cushions in all shapes, sizes and colors. A large, low white table in the center of the cushions, looking like an island in multicolored ocean. The Four were studying the treaty the Royal Light Ones had given me. 

        “There has got to be a way out of this,” Feu snaps. Her dark red wolf ears flatten against her light red hair and her tail flicks in frustration. She stands and straightens her black and red kimono. “Right? Lyrena, you're good at this stuff, got a way out?” 

        The half snake element sighs. “Not that I can see. It is air tight. There is no way out of it and the Royals are not going to budge on their chosen price.” She runs a pale hand through bright green hair. 

        “But that isn't fair,” Wina whines. The yellow winged girl starts hopping around the table, her short blond hair flying everywhere. “There has gotta be a way! We can't let them kill Malin!!” 

        “Calm down, you silly bird.” Aqura tries to grab Wina's hand. Wina easily avoids the mermaid and starts tearing up. “Don't fret. It'll be okay. Even if we can't save Malin,we can save so may of our people. We must look at the bright side of this.” 

        “Have you or your seers seen any way out of it?” Feu asks. 

        The mermaid pulls an ice mirror out from her blue hair. She places the mirror on the table and the five women gather around it to watch the scene inside. Malin was lay in the purple room where she meet the Royals the night before. Her eyes were closed and a small smile was on her lips. She didn't move, didn't breath. The image changes and it is Malin's home. As they watch, a large group of men enter and start destroying the place Malin grew up in. The image zooms out, showing battle fields of littered with dead bodies and morning families. The images fade and Aqura puts the mirror back in her hair. 

        “That is all you see?” Lyrena asks. 

        “Yes, I can see no other possibilities. We either agree to their terms or we don't,” the water element says sadly. 

        Before anyone else can speak, Malin jerks. They hear someone shouting her name. 

        Malin stands and leaves the room.

 

* * *         

         Malin opens her eyes and sees John kneeling in front of her. His hands hover in front of him, as if he had had trouble deciding if he was allowed to touch her. When he sees my eyes open, his hands drop and he backs up. 

        “What is it?” I ask. 

        “I'm so sorry to disturb you, Lady,” he says breathlessly. He must have ran a long way. 

        “Don't 'Lady' me, John.” I move so I am on my knees in front of him, our eyes level. He looks so worried and panicked. I take his hands in mine and ask again, “What is it?” 

        He seems to calm down and he takes deep breaths. “It's your parents, Malin. They've been attacked.” 

        Everything stops moving. I feel the blood drain out of my face, feel my lungs stop taking in air, see the world go gray. My father, a bear of a man, leaves food and water out for the stray cats that live in the all over town. My mother, a kinder, sweeter, gentler woman you couldn't find among the Unicorns themselves. They has been attacked? 

        “They were on their way home, driving along the old cliff road and a group of Dragons threw lightning at their car. It went over the edge.” John squeezes my hands, trying to bring my attention to him. “Malin, I am so sorry. A teacher on his way home from Acemir Academy saw them go over. He is an Air Adept and flew down to try to help them. They're dead, Malin.” 

        Something in me snaps. The window on the other side of the room blows open, cold wind and rain coming inside. I pull out of John grasp and jump out the window. I catch a breeze and fly into the dark, rainy sky. 

        In minutes, I am there. My parents sleek, dark blue car is laying upside down on the sharp rocks. The ocean hits the rocks a few feet away from the wreckage. A man in a black rain coat is perched the rocks near by, the smell of power meaning he was trying to keep the car from moving anymore and falling into the water. 

        I raise my arms and the air around the car grabs it and the man and lifts them. The man calls out in surprise, but does not fight my hold. I place the car right side up on the road and the man a little way away. 

        I land next to the vehicle and rip the passenger side door off. What I see makes me scream in pain and anger and my eyes are blinded by tears. 

        My parent, the people who watched over me when I was sick, who helped me find strength when I needed it, who held me while I cried, who kissed my hurts to make them go away. The two people I loved the most in this world lay battered, bloody and broken in the car. I could barely recognize them. My parents had done nothing to the Dragon, except having me for a daughter. My heart felt like it was being riped from my chest. 

        I reach into the car to pull my mother out when I see red fur, blue and green scale and yellow feathers ripple across my skin. I feel the Four fight together to get out, to get revenge on those who did this. I couldn't let them out. All Balances knew what would happen if the Four ever got free of a Balances control. The Four would destroy everything, everyone, and it doesn't matter who or what it is. My skin ripples again. I leap away from the wreckage and hide my face in my hands. My skin ripples more and I try with all my might to hold the Four back. 

        “Malin!” Strong arms gather me close. I turn and cling close to John, trying to control the others. “Jerry, can you wait here for the others?” 

        “Yes, sir,” a voice answers. “Is Lady Malin going to be alright?” 

        “I hope so. I'm taking her home.” He easily cradles my small body against his chest and leaps into the air. 

        The next thing I remember is someone taking my clothes off and rubbing my damp skin with warm towels. I look into John's worried eyes and the world goes black.

 

* * * 

        When I wake up again, I am in my own bed at my house. It is dark and the rainy outside the window near by. A candle on my bedside table means that the power must be out. In a chair next to my bed, his eagle in his lap, is John. His eyes are closed and his chest raises and falls in the slow rhythm of sleep. 

        I sit up and notice that I am wearing one of my nightgowns. Quickwing hears me move and lefts his head to look me in the eye. 

        'We were worried, Lady Malin,' he says quietly, so as not to wake John. 'When John dried you off, feathers were coming and going on your skin. It was as if you were trying to become a bird.' 

        “I almost lost control of myself,” I say and look out the window. “I don't want that to happen to someone else.” 

        'If you can do that, then do it,' the bird says simply. 'You can, can't you?' 

        I pet the feathers on top of his head. “I can and I will. What time is it?” 

        'It is just after the sunsets. You slept through the nigh and day after the accident.' 

        “Then it'll have to wait till the morning.” 

        “To do what?” John asks. He opens his eyes and sits up. 

        I look away from him and say, “The Royals offered us a treaty 3 days ago. I am going to agree to their price and they will sign the treaty. No more blood will be spilled between our races after their price is met.” 

        “What is their price?” John asks as he puts Quickwing on a towel on my desk. The bird puts his head under his wing and falls asleep. 

        “Me,” I say simply. 

        “You?” he asks. “What would they want with.....No.” 

        “I have to. They'll sign the treaty and stop the killing. My life is a small price to pay.” 

        “No, it isn't! You can't do it!” 

        “Why not? It will save hundreds, thousands of Adepts now and in the future.” 

        “You can't leave! I love you!” 

        I look up at him and see that he has said more than he wanted to. He moves to the door and I try to follow him, but my legs turn to jelly and they give out under me. John catches me before I fall. He helps me back onto my bed and I grab his arm to stop him from leaving. “What? How can you? We barely know each other.” 

        He turns his face away from me. “Remember on your first Council Meeting three years ago? I had only been going to the Meetings in my father's place for a few months. The other nobles were always ordering people around and doing as they pleased. They liked to buss me around the most, because I was the youngest of them. They were trying to make me polish their shoes. You walked in and stuck them to the ceiling. Since then, I couldn't help but watch you. I realized after a while that I loved you and would do anything for you.” 

        I put my hand on his cheek and make him look at me. I can see the feeling in his eyes, the truth in his eyes. “I'm sorry. I have to do this. I don't wanna hurt you, cause I care for you, but I have to save my people.” 

        He smiles sadly. “A queen to the core. It's one of the things I love so much about you.” He covers my hand on his cheek with one of his own and kisses my palm. The skin his lips touch feels warmer than the rest of me. 

        I wrap my arms around his neck press my lips against his. He is so surprised, he falls on his back and I am sprawled across his chest, my small curves pressed against his torso. He groans, lefting my head up enough so he could say, “What are you doing? Teasing me?” 

        I rub my face against his hands. “No. I can't have you for the rest of my life, can't I have you for tonight?” 

        He looks in my eyes. He seems to find what he is looking for. He rolls over so I am underneath him. I let him show me what a loving touch feels like.

 

* * *         

         The next morning I am dressed to impress. My flowing yellow skirt hugs my hips and the yellow top has no back. The Mark of the Balance, a green circle with a red paw print inside, yellow wings coming out of the top and and blue fins out of the bottom, is easy to see on my back. I am in the gardens of the Meeting House. The rain has stopped, but clouds still cover the sky. In front of my throne is a row of six chairs of much better quality then the ones arranged in rows behind them. A table was between my throne and and the rows of chairs. John is standing behind me and to the left, Quickwing on his shoulder and his hands behind his back. 

        My nobles are sitting in the chairs for them and, coming down the aisle,are the Royal Light Users. They seat themselves in the special chairs, the Lightone couple in the middle, the Sunsprites to the left, and the Moonlights on the right. 

        I raise from my seat and say, “Thank you for coming on such short notice, Royal Ones. I have an answer for you concerning your offer of a treaty.” 

        Anna's eyes flash in surprise. “So soon?” she asks. “You need no more time?” 

        I shake my head. “I do not I have decided. My nobles will follow my decision. Will you not, nobles?” 

        They all stand, nod their heads, and sit again. 

        “My decision is to except your price if you sign the treaty here, with my people's future Adept Council as witnesses. I swear on the Mark I bear, if you sign it here, I will do as you wish.” I turn and show the faintly glowing mark on my back. 

        Anna and her mate stand. “As the oldest of our Royals, we will sign.” 

        John places the treaty on the table and the old couple sign their names under mine.

 

* * *         

        That evening, after the sun has set, I go to the Lightone's manor. A footman leads me back to the purple and gold room. The room that reminds me of the Light Users I have meet. Beautiful and appealing, but, to me,cold and aloof. I expected the room to be empty, but it wasn't. A young girl of about six sat in a armchair, a book in her lap. When I entered she looks up and an ugly look crosses her face. She puts the book down and leaves without a word. 

        Two men enter not long after the girl leaves. One carries a tray with a full syringe, rubbing alcohol, and some cotton pads. I sit on a daybed and they inject the poison into my right arm. They don't speak, to me or each other and leave as soon as their task is done. 

        I lay on the daybed and look outside the window. I can feel the poison run through my veins, doing it's deadly work. My mind wonders. 

        I'm five. My parents are walking me to the park down the, swinging me between them. 

        The Balance before me, Hanna, makes a rose made of fire bloom in her hand when I was eight. It was the first time I had seen Fire power at work. 

        My parents bodies, bloody and mangled, in their car, their hands still intertwined. 

        John holding me, kissing me, loving me. 

        I know when my heart stops beating. My last thought is of John and I feel tears of regret run down my face. I hope he finds happiness without me.......

 

* * *        

         A week after Malin's death was sunny day. The nobles gathered in the large garden were the Balance Malin had loved to play as a small child. They had already decided to dedicate the garden to their former queen. Now they had a very pressing matter to address. The Balance had ordered the nobles to make a Council with four Head of Elements and one Leader. Now they just needed to figure out how to do that. The group had been arguing for a few hours when John walked into the light coming from the open sky above them. 

        By all accounts, the lad looked worn. His fellow nobles had always thought he had had a thing for Lady Malin and seeing him look as he did now made them certain. The Air Adept was pale, his eyes sunken, his face stretched. He looked too thin, as if he had not been eating much lately. In his hands was a large blue ice crystal. Behind him was his older sister, Gwen, in her normal jeans and T-shirt. 

        “I have the last will and testament of Malin Ruth Fisher,the former Balance,” John said simply. 

        “And,” Gwen added, “I am apparently the new Balance.” 

        The other nobles started muttering and looked shocked. How could there be a new Balance so soon? 

        John placed the crystal he had held in the center of the circle of nobles. As soon as he had stepped back from it, the crystal glowed. Floating above the crystal was an image of Malin with large yellow wings appeared. 

        “These are my last words, my will,” the ghostly image said. “I am sorry I had to leave you all so soon, but the treaty had to be signed. Gwen Arinis, I am sorry that I can not help you with what you must learn to be the Balance. I need you to step down in your position as queen. The time for the Balance is not now, as I am sure Aqura has informed you.” Gwen nodded. “Hide yourself always and well, now until the time of our coming back has come.” Gwen nodded again and the image continued. “Nobles, I need you to form a Council. Split yourselves into four groups, Air, Water,Earth, and Fire. Each group elects a Lord of Element. Then, you must elect one of those heads to be the Leader, who will be public face of the Adepts with the other Lords as advisers. Although you will be broken apart into groups, do not fight with each other or the Light Users. Or else my death will be in vain.” The nobles all nodded quickly. “John.” 

        The nobles looked around at the mention of their young friend. His legs had given out and he was sitting on the ground, tears streaming down his face. The others, from the meanest to the kindest of them, could feel their hearts ache and their eyes sting with tears. They wouldn't wish John anguish on their most hated enemy. 

        “John,” the will said, “please try to live your life as you would have before. I'm not saying to forget me, but you can't dwell on my passing. I did it to save everyone. Please, find someone who can love you as I may have. Get married, have children, live. Do all those things I can't. Please?” 

        The whole assemble was in tears now. They couldn't help themselves. All of them liked John and most all of them loved Malin. She had been their queen. To see her, even if it wasn't really her, beg him to live for her, brought them all to tears. 

        John looked at the will, fresh tears running from his eyes. “I'll try, my Lady,” he said in a raspy voice. 

        The image smiled. “That is all I can ask of you.” The will of Malin Ruth Fisher faded into nothingness.

 

* * *         

         Anna and Darrin Lightone, the oldest Royal pair stood in the purple room where Malin had given her life. The couple looked at each other, Anna nodded. Darrin turned to the footman standing behind them. 

        “This room is to be off limits from now on. No meetings, no parties, no nothing. Lady Malin deserves that much from us.” The footman nodded and went off. Darrin turned back to his mate. “Do you think we did the right thing? Can more blood shed really bring peace?” 

        “I don't know,” Anna said and met her mate's eyes. Her own were filling with tears. “I thought we were doing the right thing, getting rid of the evil one herself, but,” she hide her face in his shirt, “I felt her pureness, Darrin. She was a good person and we killed her!” 

        Darrin wrapped her in his arms. “Lets go stop the killing, my dear heart. Lets not let her die in vain.” 

        The old couple went to redeem themselves.

 

* * * * * * * * *         

 

         Malin was a well loved Balance. Her passing left holes in many hearts. 

        John did marry and had three children, two boys and a girl. He named his daughter Malin, after his first love. 

        The Council was a great success. The four groups argued, yes, but they compromised over and over again, in honor of last true queen. Since I have come back, the Head of Elements are now my chief advisors. My older brother, Vikirnoff, was the Leader before I came back. 

        Anna and Darrin Lightone lead the effort to unite the Light Users and Adepts. The other Royal families thought they were odd, but never tried to stop them or voice their opinions. They were and are very respected in the Light User community. In fact, they are the great great grandparents of my own mate, Markus. 

        Now you know the sad truth. Even though she died, we have not forgotten her. As long as we remember her sacrifice, she will live on in our hearts. Besides that,she is a part of me, apart of all Balances that came and come after her. Her goodness, her easy going and loving nature, is something all Balances will remember and feel. 

        I cry every time I remember what she went through and fight with all I am to protect the world she loved so much.

© 2008 Burr the Story Sorceress


Author's Note

Burr the Story Sorceress
Enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

it is immensely disturbing!
enjoy the sadness... and the tragedy asunder!
its not a happy story that's for sure!
its intense and very well written!
and the flash back is amazing!
and it helps!

i like it!
it touched me!

Posted 15 Years Ago


It was sad, even for me, thats highly impossible for me, but it was sad. She shouldve killed them all :( I wanted more bloodshed lmao, to see the looks on their ugly faces for killing her parents, but she did do the right thing, to stop all war with Adepts and Light Users, unless a new war goes on :o well excellent write :)

-Aaron

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 7, 2008
Last Updated on May 9, 2008

Author

Burr the Story Sorceress
Burr the Story Sorceress

A Really Cold Place, OH



About
I am a kinda loud person who is very blunt. I tend to talk before I think. I go with the flow, most of the time. When I get excited, my stutter comes back with a vengence. I do the best I can and that.. more..

Writing