Christmas Morning

Christmas Morning

A Story by Burr the Story Sorceress
"

It's Christmas morning and seven-year old twins Kaydence and Jaymes are excited to open their presents. One present is just as excited to be opened.....

"

It was finally the day the twins had been waiting for: Christmas. No other day of the year was as exciting as this one, except the ninth day of May, their birthday. The seven-year-old girl and boy woke in bedrooms across the hall from each other. They leaped out of bed in excitement and met in the hall.

The little girl was in the light blue penguin pajamas her mother had picked out special for her. Her dark brown locks were long, curly and tangled from sleep. Her skin was rosy colored and petal soft. Her hazel eyes were bright with excitement.

Her brother's brown eyes were just as excited. His smile was wide, full of white, little teeth and a pinch devilish. His skin was the same as his sisters, but if you compared him to a rose or the like would set a mean trap for you. His short dirty-blond hair stuck straight up and his racecar pajamas were rumbled.

Together the pair crept down the hall as quietly as they could. On the way to the stairs they peeked in their parents' room. When the twins were sure their Momma and Daddy were still asleep they hurried to the living room.

The two were stopped in the doorway by the sight before them. The huge, beautiful decorated tree was in a corner next to the television. The couch, chairs and tables had been moved to leave more room in front of the tree some time in the night. The four stockings hung full and heavy from the TV stand and presents wrapped in every kind and color of wrapping paper surround the bottom of the tree. The twins couldn't keep their exclamations of the excitement quiet as they quickly crossed the room to start sorting the presents.

“This one is yours, Jaymes.” The girl handed him a large green-wrapped box.

“Kaydence! Here's one of yours,” said the boy as he handed his sister a bright red-wrapped box.

“I wonder what is in this one.” Kaydence held up a small Santa-wrapped present.

“I don't know.” Jaymes took the box and shook it next to his ear. “It isn't making any noise.”

As if on command, a loud sound came from the medium box between the television and tree. The two jumped at the sound.

“What was that?” the little girl asked as she clung to her brother's arm.

“I'll check.” The boy slipped from his sister's grip and cautiously walked toward the brown-wrapped box. The box made the noise again when the boy was close. He jumped and rushed back to his sister. “I don't know, but it is for both of us.”

The noise came again and the girl's lip began to tremble. “I want Momma.”

“I told you they would be up before us,” laughed a light female voice. Kaydence raced toward her mother and wrapped her arms around the short woman's hips. Her heart shaped face was surprised to see her daughter frightened. “What's wrong, honey?” she asked as she knelt and brushed back the curly hair her daughter had inherited form her. “What's scared you?”

“The green box moved and made noises, Momma,” Jaymes explained.

“Did it, now?” asked their father. His hazel eyes sparkled with mirth as his long legs carried him across the room to the boy. “Shall we open it and see what it is?”

The small woman picked up Kaydence and carried her over to the other two. She sat in the floor and kept the little girl in her lap and her husband carefully slide the box into the open. It jerked and made a sharp noise that had the little girl clinging to her mother.

“Hey,” said Jaymes as he looked at the top of the present. “There are holes in the top.”

“Holes?” asked his sister. She got up and stepped closer to the box. “Why are there holes, Daddy?”

“Because he has to breath, sweetie,” the tall man said with a smile. He flicked open the pocket knife he brought with him and skillfully cut the tape holding the top of the box closed. The twins each grabbed a lip of the box, their caution buried by their curiosity, and opened it.

Inside was a small, golden puppy. He looked up at the two with big, brown eyes that looked like hot chocolate. The puppy grinned, bark, and jumped against the side of the box closest to them. The twins squeaked in joy as they picked up the fluffy creature and gave it a group hug.

The parents of the happy twins smiled at each other and the woman snapped a picture with her digital camera.

© 2008 Burr the Story Sorceress


Author's Note

Burr the Story Sorceress
Isn't that cute? I had to write a Christmas piece for one of my classes and this is what I came up with.
^_^

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Having read part of your self-description on your profile, I got the impression that you might be a little sloppy and haphazard in your writing, or that you might not be very good, because that's what you said about yourself. Well, the quality of your writing gives no such indications. It needs a little light editing, yes, but otherwise it's a heart-warming and very well-written story. You're much better than you let on, young lady Burr.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 13, 2008

Author

Burr the Story Sorceress
Burr the Story Sorceress

A Really Cold Place, OH



About
I am a kinda loud person who is very blunt. I tend to talk before I think. I go with the flow, most of the time. When I get excited, my stutter comes back with a vengence. I do the best I can and that.. more..

Writing