A Magic Promise

A Magic Promise

A Story by Burr the Story Sorceress
"

Lily is half-human and half-magic. She has struggled to be free and happy all her life. Now William, the Lord of Night Magics, Patron of Noctural Hunters, has come for her. Now she fights against a magic promise that she made long ago and can't break.

"

I straighten the light blue table cloth for the seventh time in the last ten seconds. I can't seem to control my nervousness. I pace my brightly lit dining room and glance nervously out of the floor-to-ceiling windows that over the lake and forest. The magical beings that normally frolicked outside in the early afternoon have, thankfully, listed to my begging and hidden themselves. It would certainly shock my human guests to see little people who look more animal than anything dancing about on the water and trees.

 

I force myself to calm down and give my home one more thorough inspection. It looked as normal as any tropical manor could. All the luxuriously decorated rooms painted in warm, stubble colors on all three floors scream rich, the pond-like pools all over the balconies and wrap-around patio and the many waterfalls yell relaxation, and the floor-to-ceiling windows scattered all over the house speak of no worries, but nothing gives away the fact that I am not all human.

 

I am in the middle of pacing the large, teal dining room when the doorbell rings. I try not to run to the door in my eagerness to welcome my guests. I open the large front door and hold it open as my friends from college enter with wide eyes and grins.

 

“This place is ridiculous!” laughs one of the two boys, Brain. He is of average height and weight, but he is by far one of the strongest looking men I have ever seen. His short hair is light brown, his eyes a pale green and his lightly tan skin is covered in freckles. He is wearing a solid colored gray shirt, red basketball shorts and tennis shoes. He carries a large suitcase in each hand, one pink and one black.

 

“I know you said it was fancy, but I was not imagining this,” whispers Brain's girlfriend, Hailey. Her curly dark brown hair is held back from her neck by a hair tie and her deep brown eyes are wide in amazement. She is dressed much like Brain, who carries her suitcase while she has a large backpack slung over one shoulder.

 

The next to enter are Paula and Ryan, each carrying their own bags. Both are so stunned by their new surroundings that neither can speak. Both have long, thick brown hair, but Paula's is a lot more puffy than Ryan's. Paula is also a few inches taller than her man, juts about six feet two inches tall. Her brown eyes marvel at the room while his blue-brown sun burst ones study everything closely, memorizing every detail.

 

The last to enter is my neighbor, Carrol. Her dark brown hair is thrown up in a ponytail and the smile in her brown eyes matches the one of her face. She wears the jean cutoffs and T-shirt she normally does when she isn't heading into town to work of her newspaper.

 

“Here they are, Lily. You should think about getting a car. It'd make life a little easier.”

 

I smile warmly at her. “I know it would, but I am too afraid to try it.”

 

“You chicken,” she laughs. “Well, I'm gonna go now. Mike and I are going to have a movie marathon.”

 

“See you, Carrol, and thanks again,” I call as my neighbor leaves and I close the door. I trun to my four guests. “Come on and I'll show you to your rooms.”

 

They nod and follow me up the large marble staircase that the whole manor is made out of, all four studying the artwork and furniture decorating my home.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

After dinner the five of us sit outside and watch the sun sink in the sky. The magical creatures, using very clever spells to hide themselves from human eyes, are preforming the Dance of Exchange, when the day magic creatures go to bed and the night magic creatures wake up. I sit with my friends, listening to Brain playfully verbally abuse Hailey. Ryan and Paula are silent on my other side, cuddling and watching the sky.

 

I smile, thinking of how ironic this moment is. Here I am, surrounded humans while the People dance on the water before me. It is the best of both worlds, like me. I am half human, evident in my physical appearance, and half People, able to use the magics found in nature during both the day and night. My name is Lily because I love being around water and plant life.

 

“Hey, Lily” says Paula as she sits up on her lawn chair and points toward the opposite bank of the lake, “who's that guy over there?”

 

I look up and nearly have a heart attack. There, standing on the lake shore, staring straight at me, is William. I haven't seen him since we had a huge fight three years ago right before I left for college. Seeing him again fills my heart with terror. My time is up.

 

Somehow I manage to hide my panic as I say to m guests, “That's William. We've been friends since we were in the cradle.” He smiles and starts walking along the lake shore, taking his time. I get up and ask, “Does any one want something to drink or a snack?”

 

They say no and Hailey asks, “Why is he coming from the woods with no bags? Does he live near here?”

 

I stop at the sliding glass door that leads into the dining room. “This is his house and he has a cabin out in the forest. He spends more time in the cabin, so he lets me have free reign over the manor. I guess he has decided to pay me an unexpected visit.”

 

I close the door behind me and manage to walk into the kitchen before I run full out down the hidden hallway that leads into my rooms.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

I know it is ridiculous, but I am cowering in the back most corner of my closet. I can't think rationally, can't try to reason why he is here again, because my mind is too busy replying our last conversation. Repeating the last thing he said to me before disappearing into the shadows of his domain. I cover my ears as I try in vain to block out that one soul ripping declaration.

 

“Fine, go and live your human life! When that mortal breaks your heart don't come crawling back to me!”

 

The worst part was that he had been completely right. The human boy I had thought I'd loved, that I had followed deeper into the human world like a blind puppy, had dumped me for some blond bimbo not a month after that argument.

 

I have sometimes wished I had listened to William. He is and probably always has been the owner of my heart. I want to run to him, throw myself on my knees before him and beg that he forgive me, that he not hate me as I think he does after I abounded him. That, more than anything, scared me. I don't beg or plead, especially not to the Lord of Night.

 

I hear a heavy thump and a buzzing. I reach out with my senses. William is outside with my human friends, calm as he always is. The buzzing grows louder and I know Sarah is getting impatient. I crawl to the door and crack it open enough to let the annoyed magic book flutter inside. I shut the door quickly and her pages start glowing so I can read the lecture she writes on her blank pages. I can barely read fast enough to keep up with her.

 

'You are being a baby,' the book scolds. 'You know you have nothing to fear from His Lordship, but here you are, cowering in a bloody closet!'

 

“Of course I have something to fear,” I whine back. “I know what he's here to do, Sarah! He's here to take me away from my life! I'm happy! Why can't he leave me alone!”

 

'Because, no matter how much you want to deny it, you are his Lady of Night, his queen. You were selfish and blind three years ago when you left and you are doing the same now. Now, you have a promise to keep and your friends are starting to worry.'

 

I sigh and get out of my closet, knowing I can't hide there forever. I didn't want one of my friends finding me there and wondering why I was hiding. I also did not want William knowing that I am a coward. I walk quickly down the hidden passage into the kitchen, pour a glass of lemonade for the newest arrival and head outside.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Ryan is the first to notice I have come back. He smiles and pats the seat next to him as he says, “Will took your seat, but there's a free one over here.”

 

I am amazed that I am able to act like everything is normal and fine with William around. I smile sweetly like I always do and hand William his drink. He is just as handsome as I remember. Snow pale skin and jet black hair that flops across his eyes like the newly popular emo boys. His dark gray eyes sparkle with humor as he gives me the mischievous smile I adore. It is then that I realized I have never stopped loving him. No matter how much I long and try to be human I can't, because he will always be my link to the magic world that I can't sever.

 

“Thank you, Lily,” he says in his soft voice that reminds me of a gentle night breeze. “I am so glad to see you so happy with such great friends.”

 

I nod and sit in the empty chair, not daring to look him in the eye. I know he is telling the truth because the lords and ladies of magic can't lie, but I know I will be lost if I look in his eyes now. I would beg him to forgive me and beg for him to love me again. I look out on the lake and see the stars begin to wink to life and the night magics go about their business.

 

Not long after I come back Hailey and Brain go off to bed, saying their good nights. Paula and Ryan follow soon after, leaving me alone with William. We are silent for a long while.

 

“Lily,” he says. I know the request in his voice and I can't ignore it. I look at him and see he has shed his human glamor. He still has his pale skin and black hair, but his dark eyes glow with power and he looks more like a predator than normal humans do. I know he has the fangs of his wolf kin and can grow claws from his nails like cats do. This is the man I first fell for, but could never have.

 

“Yes?” I ask to distract myself from his primal good looks.

 

“I wanted to say I was sorry for what I said the last time we talked. I was upset and lost my temper, but that is no excuse.” He looks out on the water, not at me, and misses my look of amazement. “So, I'm sorry, for everything.”

 

I search my mind for something to say and fail. How can I tell him that he was right? That leaving to follow some human who could never understand me was the dumbest thing I have ever done?

 

Before I could think of anything to say, he continued. “You know, or knew, that all I want is for you to be happy and that I would do anything to make you happy.” He looks at me then. His dark gaze making my heartbeat go wild. “You should know that, but the only thing you've every asked for I can't give you! I'm sorry, Lily, but you can't keep this up any longer. You are needed in your own world and I can't give you anymore time.”

 

“What do you mean?” I know the fear is creeping into my voice, but I don't care.

 

“Marlin found his lady.” Marlin is the Lord of Day Magics, William's twin brother. “The balance between day and night isn't there anymore. The nights are getting shorter. Soon, they will be smothered out all together and ourselves and our people will die. You need to come home and take your place at my side. They need you, Lily. I need you.”

 

I shake my head and stand up. I slowly back away from him. I don't want to leave. I am so happy here. I am accepted for who I am, not what I am. In the court where William and I grew up everyone looked down on me, saying I was a filthy half-ling that didn't deserve to be the future lord's playmate. William was the only one there that liked me, and I doubt that has changed. I don't want to go through that again and loose the good life I have made for myself in the process.

 

I make the mistake of blinking. One minute, he is sitting in a lawn chair a little more than a yard away. The next his face is barely an inch from mine, bright eyes locked on mine. He holds my hands tightly in his, not letting me escape. His voice holds a begging note and his eyes are pained as he whispers, “Please, Lily, I don't want to hurt you or to make you said. I wish I could give you what you want, but I can't! You are needed!”

 

Needed. That's all I've ever been. Not wanted, but needed. Always needed to do this or be that. Why couldn't I be wanted by the People or William? Was it too much to ask to have someone who wanted me around?

 

I close my eyes tightly against the tears that want to fall as I shake my head. “No! Don't you understand? I can't go back there where everyone looks down on me! Is it so bad to want to be liked? Is it so bad to want people to see who I am instead of what I am?” The tears escape and I manage to pull my hands away. I look him right in the eye, no longer trying to hide my pain. “I may be needed, but I'm not wanted! What's wrong with wanting to be wanted?”

 

I turn and flee, using my magic for the first time in years to run far and fast, trying to leave my hurt behind me.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

I don't make it far. I am very out of practice and my diet doesn't include blood, a necessary part of casting any magics. I collapse deep in the forest, my vision blurring and my breathing hard. I know I have pushed myself too far. I know there aren't any handy blood sources to replenish me. I have lost too much blood in my attempt to flee.

 

I'm dying.

 

I lay against a tree feeling oddly calm. This is it. I can't take it back. I wish I hadn't just run off, but I'm not the most rational of people. I didn't think when I ran away from court to hide in William's manor. I didn't think when I left to follow a mortal boy across the country. Now I have my rashness to thank for my death. Funny, William has always said that my thoughtlessness would get me into trouble.

 

“Lily!” I hear him call. I know he couldn't be here, wouldn't chase after such a mean person as myself, but I guess my heart wants to hear his voice again before I die. “No! Lily!”

 

I feel the earth beneath me move. I force my eyes open to see how I could be floating and see William's face twisted in pain. Tears fall unbarred from his glowing eyes as he holds me against his lean, muscled form. He buries his face in my hair as his body shakes.

 

“Damn it!” he yells fiercely. “Damn it all to the abyss! I can save you, but then you'll hate me for stealing the human part of you. I don't want you to hate me, I don't want you to leave me, but what could I have told you? That I love you and want you by my side? No, not when you love life outside of my world. I couldn't lock you in a place you don't love. I don't want you to feel like a caged bird.”

 

He rocks me like he had when we were younger. It is comforting and reminds me of the happiest days of my life. My eyes slowly shut and I feel myself falling backwards into darkness.

 

“But I can't let you die,” he continues. “I won't let you die. Please, forgive me.”

 

I hear flesh rip and taste his power-laced coppery blood.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

I wake up slowly, surprised that I can even wake up. I groan as the aches and pains assault me. I remind myself to never over-use my magic again. I open my eyes and look around the room I'm in.

 

It's my bedroom in the manor. The light green walls and familiar things make me feel a better. Sarah, my faithful book, is asleep on the bedside table, snoring lightly. One of my chairs is pulled up next to my side of the bed, but it is empty. I reach out and touch it, feeling the warmth left from whoever has been sitting in it.

 

I sit up, groaning as the aches make themselves known, as the door opens. William walks in backwards and shuts the door as he turns around, holding a tray with food and drinks. He spots me and nearly drops his tray. He hurries across the room and sets his load down on my small table then walks toward me and stops a few steps away.

 

“Lily.” He looks at me and away. “I'm sorry. I didn't have a choice.”

 

I look across the room at the mirror and the woman I see there doesn't look like me. Her eyes are a pure dark green that glow, her skin the pinkish pale of lotus blossoms and her hair thick and a rich brown. She is me, but more raw and elemental than I have ever hoped of being. This woman is one of the People. This woman is everything my childhood dreams wanted me to be when I grew. This woman is me.

 

I try standing and find that it is manageable. I take a step forward and grab his arms to keep my balance. I look him right in the as I say, “No, I'm sorry. You were right, Will. My rashness got me in trouble again and you were there to save me. I'm sorry that I've been so stubborn and selfish. I love you and if I'm with you I can be happy, even if I can't be human anymore.”

 

He studies me for a minute, searching for something in my eyes. Suddenly he smiles and I feel like the clouds have parted and the full moon shines down on me, just for me. He sweeps me up in his arms and spins in circles around the room.

 

“Oh, Lily, you've made me the happiest man in any world.” He sets me down on my feet and cradles my face in his warm hands. “As soon as you get used to your new magic I'll teach you to glamor yourself so you can visit your human friends. I told them you were very sick and they are staying with Carrol down the street.”

 

I smile, letting the overwhelming happiness in my heart spilling over. It is perfect, more perfect than anything has a right to be. I stand on tip toe and kiss my king. For the first time in a long time I'm glad that I had promised to always love him and to be his queen, even if it had sealed my fate in the way all magic promises do.

© 2009 Burr the Story Sorceress


Author's Note

Burr the Story Sorceress
Cute, huh? This was a dream I had a few nights ago. Neat, right?
^_^

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Could you make this into a book?
Keep up the great work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I loved it! You could go far with this one for sure! I really hope you dream up a secwael! (I think i spelt that wrong. lol!)

Posted 15 Years Ago


Amazing! Amazing how you can create this whole new world where magic lives, and it is written so well! And to think this happened in a dream. If only I was able to have such vivid and interesting dreams like yours, haha! Another excellent piece!
-Brie

Posted 15 Years Ago


Oh I love this. It's very wonderful. I guess true love really does conquer death. I truly enjoyed this story. You could add onto it also. Maybe continue on the generations only with a longer love story. This could be just a great beginning to a wonderful exciting adventure.
Pepper...

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

327 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 27, 2008
Last Updated on January 28, 2009

Author

Burr the Story Sorceress
Burr the Story Sorceress

A Really Cold Place, OH



About
I am a kinda loud person who is very blunt. I tend to talk before I think. I go with the flow, most of the time. When I get excited, my stutter comes back with a vengence. I do the best I can and that.. more..

Writing