Trouble in Shadowfang

Trouble in Shadowfang

A Story by Burr the Story Sorceress
"

A World of Warcraft short story based on real characters and a real guild that exists in game.

"

  “We’re almost there, Adelliza. The Keep is just up that road.”

Adelliza stopped her tired horse next to her companion, Zyx, and looked up the hill he pointed to.

“Great. Uphill. A steep hill. And here I was, glad of how smooth this journey has been. For a three day ride after hours of flying over the sea it has been pretty uneventful.”

The warrior laughed and shook his head. “You disappointed you didn’t make the others come with us?”

“Oh, yeah, because listening to the twins argue the whole way here sounds fun. Or the temptation to crack height jokes on Kairley.” The young woman sighed, pulling an electric device the size of a medium book out of a pouch tied to her belt. She pushed a button on the side and lines of colored text appeared on the screen. “Or maybe not. They are terrorizing Trade Chat again.”

The two set off up the hill, Zyx leading Adelliza’s horse while she typed on the Chatterbox 5000, a common device in Azeroth that allows people hundreds of miles apart to communicate. First made by the gnomes of the Alliance, engineers the world over create and sell the handy devices to adventurers and civilians alike. The ads described them as ‘the most important adventuring tool, besides the Hearthstone, of course.’

Adelliza sighed and slipped the Chatterbox into the impossibly small bag. The warrior handed over her reins and raised an eyebrow. “What are the twins up to now?”

“Arguing with half the world about how hooves are better than feet.” She stopped her horse at the crest of the hill next to a large gray stone. The road they were on curved to the right, ending in a stone bridge that lead to the broken portcullis of Shadowfang Keep, the home of a crazed mage and his worgan ‘children.’ “Let’s get them here before someone decides to start a guild against Dreanei.”

“Or maybe a guild against Aliakey and Quinndalin.” Zyx slipped from his horse and turned to help Adelliza off hers. Once both were clear, the horses whinnied and disappeared in a puff of gray smoke. “Wouldn’t be the first time, after all.”

She smiled as she pulled a small, green stone from her bag. She inspected it, checking for flaws, while her other hand absently straightened her purple robes. “True. On another note, which of my pets should I bring? Baby Bomb? Oh, no, maybe Bane. He is my favorite.”

“With you, the mage, and Quinn with her bow, I think an imp would make one too many ranged attackers. I’d go with Bane. I still can’t get over the fact that you named your felguard after a villain from a play.”

Adelliza ignored him and focused. The next instant, she threw the stone on the ground and muttered the command for her demon to come to her. Purple smoke billowed away from the stone and green and purple lines shut from the spot, shining as they drew the large creature from the Void.

The felguard Bane took one lumbering step after another from the center of the green and purple design, stopping at the young warlock’s side. It held the huge axe it wielded away from her so that it’s master would not cut herself accidentally. Adelliza had to stretch to gently pat the being’s orange cheek.

“That’s a good Bane. Now, after we summon the others you’ll get to kill some nasty old worgan. Won’t that be fun?”

The demon’s green eyes flashed and the powerful muscles under it’s dark armor flexed in anticipation.

The warlock smiled and turned to Zyx, who had already started the summoning spell. She placed her hand on his shoulder and lent him her strength, shortening the channeling process ten-fold. Blue-white light flashed and a tiny figure materialized before them.

The next instant Kailey the gnome mage was standing with them and the light was gone. She was average size for a gnome, a little taller than Adelliza’s knee, and her ice blue robes made her darker blue eyes lighter. The short, pink pig-tails, however, looked rather odd with her blue and white outfit.

“Finally! Some action!” she giggled and skipped around them like a demented lawn gnome. “Let’s burn some dogs!!”

Adell looked up at Zyx, who was a good head taller than her and shook her head. The big, burly man laughed and shook his dark haired head. His heavy plate armor moved with him as he turned back to the stone to start summoning again.

“Kair, focus for a sec. We still need the twins. Start on Quinn and I’ll help in a second.” Adell turned to Zyx, letting herself focus go to the spell. The gnome obeyed as the light returned, this time delivering a much taller figure to them. The warlock then turned and helped Kair until both dreanei twins stood with them.

Aliakay and Quinndalin looked around, getting their bearings after being magically sent across the continent. Both belong to a race of what many people called space goats. They were tall and gorgeous, like famous models, but they were far from human. Their skin, which was a creamy blue, was as impossible for the humans, gnomes, and dwarves of Azeroth as the horns on their heads, the slim tentacles in their hair, and their hooves.

Ali smiled at everyone, hugging Zyx, who was surprisingly shorter than herself, and Adell. Kair she patted on the head like a beloved dog. She was a priestess belonging to the Church of Holy Light, one of three in Azeroth and Outland, which was home to priests who specialized in healing. It was much like the Holy Order of Paladins which her older sister Bretanya belong. There were days when Ali practiced the spells of another church, the Church of Shadow Arts, but that day was not one of them.

Quinn knelt, ignoring the rest of them as she fed the zombie bear beside her. She had found the abandoned product of the evil experiments done by the Cult of Twilight not long ago. As a marksmen, she hadn’t a need for a pet beast like many other hunters, but Deadly the Bear had drawn her affection and she prided herself in taking good care of the animated creature.

“Okey, we are all here, let us begin,” Ali said with a smile. Her accent was thick, but the group was used to the rich undertone. The four started inside slipping silently throw the huge gaps in the portcullis’ bars.


* * * * * *


The inner portcullis was whole and strong, unlike the outer one the group had slipped through. They quickly ducked into a door to their right, which lead to a large and empty kennel. The group carefully crept past empty cages and hey-filled dens, hearing nothing but their own muffled footsteps and breathing.

“This is ridiculous!! I wanna catch something on fire to listen to it scream!!” Kairley pulled on her pigtails and bounced angrily.

“I agree with Kair, somewhat. I sense no beast or men here. It is odd...” Quinn absently stroked Deadly's head, the huge mindless zombie leaning against her side and sniffing the air.

Ali scratched her horns. “Perhaps we should leave. If it is this quiet then perhaps the Forsaken cleaned out the Keep. This is part of their territory after all.”

“No we go further.” Adelliza knelt by one of the cages, Bane looming close behind. “If the Undead cleaned this place out there wouldn't be fresh poop in some of these cages.”

“Very true. If Cleo was telling the truth, a door to the courtyard should be ahead.” Zyx signaled for silence and lead them forward, the reminder of Cleo's story about the Keep bring new determination to the ladies.

Kairley quietly melted the lock to the door they found in the back of the kennel. Zyx slipped out first, followed but Ali and Kair. Quinn, Adell, and the two lumbering pets took up the rear. The courtyard, too, was empty except for the ghostly steeds watching them from the stable's open doors.

“What the hell!” Adell threw her staff on the ground and put her hands on her hips. “No way. Cleo said this crazy b*****d just keeps making worgan! How can there be none here?!”

“I still think the Forsaken got them,” remarked Ali with a shrug.

“Like those a*****e dead guys can get anything done except betray their allies.”

“Quinn, really, this is not the place for politics.”

“Ali is right this is not the place for politics.” Zyx stood in the middle of the courtyard, looking up at the sky.

Adell put a hand on his arm and smiled up at him. “It's okay Zyx.”

“No, Adell, it's not. Sometimes I think the Forsaken had the right of it, at Wrathgate.”

Kair snorted. “Really? They dropped chemical bombs not only on the Lich King and the Scourge, but on the Horde and Alliance troops fighting them. What kind of idiots attack their friends and allies?”

“The kind that will do anything to protect themselves and their own.” Zyx shrugged off Adell's hand and turned his back to them.

“Zyx is there something wrong? Maybe we should just go home.” Adell touched Bane's arm, muttering an apology as the being faded. From her pouch she pulled out a small white stone that had glowing blue symbols circling it. “We're going home guys.”

Zyx knocked the stone from her hand, sending it skidding into the stable. Adell scrambled back from him as werewolves sprang from the shadows around them, grabbing and disarming the other girls. Adell stared helpless as she watched the worgans tare the suddenly vicious Deadly into pieces, Quinn's screams echoing through the yard. It took four of the monsters to knock her unconscious, but not before she had ripped out someone's eye. Kair they shoved in a sack and kicked until she stopped shooting fire and Ali tried to save the bear her twin loved, only to be hit over the head with her own staff. Zyx took Adelliza's staff and handed it to a werewolf at his right, one that wore rough leather armor decorated with feathers and bones.

“It is useless to fight, Adell. You have been surrounded since we entered the forest.”

“Why, Zyx? Why! We're you're friends! How could you! They are monsters! Look what they did to Quinn!!”

“Silence, cub!” growled the worgan in feathers and bones, who snapped it's jaws at her. “You are but a stupid sheltered child. Take her away before I eat her!”

Two wolfmen roughly grabbed Adell and started to follow the beasts carrying her friends away. She watched as Zyx changed from the man who had protected and helped her to a worgan like the rest. All along he had been a wolf among sheep, always lying and not just to her, but to some of the greatest people living in these dark times. He was a monster, and she was betrayed, just like the Horde troops at the Wrathgate. And just like those troops, she was dead.


* * * * * * * *


Quinn did nothing but cry that whole night, judging from the small window Adell could barely see at the end of the hall where their cells were. She was in a cell with Ali, right next to the one that held Kair and Adell, and she tried to be quiet, but none of the girls blamed her. Deadly was dead and gone, burned to ash. Zyx had brought the ashes to the hunter in a little clay jar, listening to her tear filled shouts of rage until Quinn had no more breath for anger. Adell was confused both by his sentiment and his lack of fur, but she would not be swayed. Zyx was a no good filthy monster and she intended to tell Mistress Yazminea all about his true nature, if she ever got out of here. Yaz would destroy him in an instant for his betrayal. Two-faced dogs were not tolerated in her guild and it was Wicked Times that had fed, clothed, and housed the traitor for almost a year.

“She's finally asleep,” whispered Ali as she sat next to the cell bars closest to Adell and Kair. She sighed softly. “I haven't seen her this bad since father died. If Miss Yaz or her followers don't skin him alive I will.”

“And Quinn can keep the fur as a rug and let her next pet poop on it,” Kair added with a calm smile.

Adell giggled softly and shook her head. “Only you Kairley, but we can talk revenge later. First we have to actually get out of here so we can tell Miss Yaz.”

A vicious growl was the only warning before a huge cat appeared on the other side of the bars, smacking them with one huge paw. The three jumped, startled, and Quinn screamed as she jolted awake. The cat bared it's teeth before it's form twisted and altered into the worgan that had been in the courtyard with Zyx.

“No way! You can't be a druid! You're a worgan!” shouted Ali as she stood. “Don't you know you're a stupid dog fit only for skinning so I can have a new cloak?”

“Ha! That mangy dog turned into a mangier cat!” Kair collapsed on the ground in a fight of laughter that sounded like it should belong to a crazed engineer in Gnomeregon.

Adell glared at the worgan as he slammed the bars again. “Silence!”

“Silence?!? F**k you, you filthy mutt!! I will clean my bathroom with your face!!!” Quinn slammed herself against the bars, screaming threats as she tried to grabbed the worgan. “He was a victim, a slave of the Twilight that had finally found some happiness!! He had suffered enough but that doesn't matter to you does it, you stupid f*****g monster! I will turn your body over to the Forsaken so you can stuffer as he suffered, b***h!!”

The worgan snarled at the flailing dreanei. “Fine. I will return later.” The beast's amber eyes met Adell's. “We are not finished yet.”

He turned and left while Quinn screamed after him. It was early afternoon when she finally collapsed again. When her shouts and sobs halted Kair sighed.

“I love that crazy b***h but I cannot listen to her chatter on an empty stomach. She starts up again and I will turn her into a penguin.”


* * * * * * * *


The druid worgan returned when Adell was the only one awake, keeping watch. One minute there was no one in the hall she was watching, the next there was the dog that had locked them here. One clawed finger when to it's muzzle, asking Adell for silence.

“Wake them and there will be no bargaining, girl. I cannot stand their chatter,” said the wolf in what was probably meant to be a soothing whisper. “Do you wish to barter for the freedom of your friends?”

Adell looked over at Kair. The little gnome was spread eagle on the straw meant to be their bed, snoring. “Alright. What do you want?”

The worgan gestured with it's head and two more came from the shadows. They were a good deal bigger than the first, and snarled unhappily at her. They opened the cell, took Adell by the arm in a firm, painful grip, and forced her out and down the hall, closing the cell behind them. Their leader snarled and they moved a little slower down the hall and lessened their grip on her arms, letting her walk rather than drag her. They took her around the corner and down a short hall before marching her into a badly damaged library. They sat her down in a dusty chair and stood on either side as their leader stood before her.

As Adell watched, a look of pain crossed the worgan's face. She heard bones pop and a tortured gasp leave the worgan before the fur fell away and a sickly thin woman with long shaggy hair caught herself on the table. She took a deep breath and straightened, flipping her hair out of her striking face and gleaming green eyes. She adjusted her leather armor and sat in the chair in front of her.

“Know that I do this only because Zyx asked me to. If it was up to me I would kill you all and feed you to the pack, but I have much respect for Zyx and I trust his judgment. If he will trust you with the life of one of our pubs, then I will as well. Know also that at the first sign of disobedience will mean the death of one of your friends. Do you understand?”

“I understand the last bit, and that you don't like me. Is that enough?”

“Yes. I am told you are a warlock training with the coven in Stormwind.”

“Well yeah.”

“There is one of the young ones... He is... plagued by demons and nightmares. It has happened before, with other pubs, and all have died to the demons of the void because they could not control the power in them.”

“Let me guess, you want me to teach him to control his link to the void so it doesn't consume him.”

“Yes. In return, we will release your friends, so long as they swear to hold their tongues, and when we are certain he will not be killed, we will release you.”

“And you trust us to promise to not tell Yazminea about Zyx's betrayal?”

“Is it betrayal when imprisoning you saved the life of his little sister?”

That gave Adell pause. “What? Zyx doesn't have any family, except his guildmates.”

“You did not know of the curse. What makes you think you would know of his precious sister?”

Adell chewed on her lip, the anger she had nurtured against the warrior wavering. If she had been him, knowing they were coming to kill all the worgan in the keep and knowing that a younger sister lived here, would she have let her new friends kill her family? The answer was no, of course, and that made her feel sick. If a worgan would do the same thing she would, then how could she call them monsters? How could she justify killing them?

“I see I have given you much to ponder. I do not need your answer now. I give you two days to decide. If you do not, regardless of Zyx, I will kill you all. I will not put my pack at risk any more than I have already. Do not think of this as a favor for me or for him. Think of the child who even now is haunted by the same monsters that once haunted you. Think of your friends and their families and futures. The choice is yours.”

She signaled for the two to take Adell back to her cell. She kept her seat as the pair marched the warlock around the corner again. They locked her up again, the others still sleeping. One of them snarled at her.

“I don't care what either of them say. You people are all the same. Group after group comes here hunting us like we are but beasts. You will never understand the hell we face nor will you ever care. I hope you all burn.”

They turned and left, disappearing into the shadows again, leaving Adelliza feeling like she was the monster, not them.


* * * * * * * * *


Early that morning, while all four captives were awake and Adell was telling them of the deal the worgan woman had offered, the two guards walked down the hall and stood in front of each cell while a pair of preteens walked down the hall with trays. The guards glared in all their furry glory, but the two kids were in their human forms, the girl wearing what looked like loose copper chain mail and the boy in baggy blue robes.

“You guys can go. I am a big girl, regardless of what my brother claims,” sneared the one in mail. She patted the huge two handed sword strapped to her back. “Just because I can't use two of these puppies at once like you doesn't mean I can't handle myself against some strangers.”

“Rain....” One of them sighed as he shook his head.

The boy smiled. “It's okay guys remember what Tea said? You’re supposed to be nice to them.”

“Yes lets be nice to the people here to kill us,” the other guard said sarcastically.

“Do I need to tell Tea you just said that?” snapped the girl.

The guards huffed and went around the corner, leaving the kids with their prisoners. They grinned at each other and slid the trays of food through a small window near the wall that they locked when finished.

“I'm Fear and this is Angelic Rain. Zyx told us all about you,” the boy said with a sloppy grin, his shaggy hair falling in his dark eyes. He looked right at Adell. “You're the warlock, right?”

“Yeah and you're the kid that worgan lady wants me to teach.”

Angelic Rain stepped defensively in front of the smaller boy. “Is that a problem?”

“For me maybe. I was hoping you wouldn't be so... young and vulnerable. You remind me of my little brother.” Adell sighed and rubbed the bridge of her nose. “Damn it.”

“Whoa wait you seriously aren't considering the deal are you?” Kairley nearly squawked. “Are you kidding me? We can't help these animals we should get rid of them!”

“Kair! He's only a kid! Don't be so heartless!” snapped Ali. She smiled reassuringly at the worgan pubs. “Don't mind her she is just hateful. Not everyone is like her.”

“Enough are,” said Rain with a sneer. “Maybe we should kill her instead of let her go and spare the rest of you.”

“If you monsters don't kill me I will destroy you.” Quinn didn't move from where she lay in the hay, she didn't even turn her head as she cuddled with the jar holding what was left of her bear. “I will hunt you all until Deadly is properly avenged.”

“Trynitea ordered the bear destroyed. He was too like the horrible work of the Undead to be allowed to remain on alive. Be glad my brother at least got you his ashes,” snapped the girl, curling her lip.

Ali sighed and rubbed the bridge of her nose. “You would be Zyx sister. It's official I can't stay mad at him.”

Quinn started snapping in Draeconic and the twins bickered at length, Kairley desperately trying to get them in sight so she could turn them into penguins. The young pair watched them, bewildered.

“Don't mind them, they are always like that. Could you do me a favor and go tell your boss I want to give her my answer.”

Adell watched the two dash away, noticing their bodies started to change as they rounded the corner. Kairley gave up and dug into the food they had brought.

“You're really going to make us swear to be quiet and teach that cherub lookin' kid?” she asked.

“Yes. He's like me, even if he turns furry, and I remember how terrifying the void was when I was younger.”

“And now those demons are better than boys.”

“Pretty much. It's a fine edge to walk, but once you get it down it's amazing. I can't stand by and not give him a chance.”

“I almost wish they had just been monsters. Would have made the trip more fun for me. I guess I'll just have to lie. Can't go home without an epic tale of our absolute victory.”

Adell rolled her eyes and laughed as she accepted an apple. “Only you.”


* * * * * * * *


Trynitea arrived, six guards with her. She made Adell swear a blood oath that she would help young Fear. Soon as it was done the others were made to swear a blood oath that they wouldn't tell others of the worgan pact living in Shadowfang. By midday the three were escorted out of the keep, most of their belongings returned. The werewolves kept Quinn's bow, the caster's staffs, all the hearthstones, and their Chatterboxes. The girls were left near the border of the forest, four days walk from Southshore in Hillsbrad Foothills. They weren't defenseless, but they were also not prepared to assault the Keep again until they got back to the guild house all the way in Stormwind and restocked.

Adell spent two hours alone in her cell, worrying for her friends, before the furless pair Fear and Rain interrupted her brooding. The guard opened the door and stood back, waiting for her to go through the opening.

“Time for your first lesson already?” she asked.

Fear and Rain exchanged a smile.

“No. You're helping me, and we don't treat those that help us like filth. We save that for enemies. You're being moved to the hall us older pubs share.”

“And don't think you can escape or do something stupid. We are all watching you. Trynitea wants to give you a chance to prove what my brother has been telling us since we locked you up.”

“Oh and what has he been saying?” Adell asked as she left the cell, letting Fear smile and take her hand.

“That you're just like your older sister. Cleomara saved Trynitea when she was my age from a Undead patrol group. She's a hero to us all.” Rain nodded to the guard and the two led Adell away.


* * * * * * * * * * *



Two other worgans shared the large room with Fear and Angelic Rain. These two must have been expecting her, because they were in their human forms like Fear and Rain always were when they were around her. The new boy looked about Rain’s age, fourteen, and the girl a few years younger. Fear was obviously the youngest, no more than ten, and Adell wanted to kick herself for coming here to hurt them. Now she knew why Cleo had told her not to come. She was always right.

“I’m Noiro,” said the new boy. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“Are we really doing this? Playing nice with some b***h that came here to kill us?” snapped the other girl, crossing her arms over her chest. “I don’t care if she’s related to the woman that saved Tea, she came here to kill us.”

“It’s not your decision, Kami, and stop projecting your own troubles on the rest of the pack. You should trust the judgment that saved your life,” Rain snapped, baring gleaming fangs.

The other girl grabbed her staff and headed for the door. “Whatever. I'm going to train with Kris.”

Fear shook his head as she left. “I'm sorry. Kamisole is still new to the pack and she is still adjusting.”

“New to the pack?” Adell took a step back from them. “You mean you can MAKE worgans? You're not going to do that to me, are you?”

“Is there something wrong with being a worgan?” Rain turned her vicious snarl on the warlock.

“For me? Definitely. Sorry if I don't like the idea of my friends and family hunting me like a dog. Helping you is one thing but being one of you is a death wish.”

“So we're good enough to pity?” Noiro and Rain closed in on Adell, who scurried back into a wall.

“I was raised to help anyone in need. The Light touches us all and we must strive to be instruments of it and shine in the darkest of places.” The confused look on the younger faces made Adell sigh. “You guys would not know about the Holy Light. It's a religious thing Cleo got into when she went to Outland to train with the Scyers. She came back after our parents died and she has been big on getting me to be kinder and stuff. I don't really get it but I haven't met a Naaru either.”

“How can you be an instrument of some light stuff if you're connected to the void?” asked Fear.

“Because they're different things. Just because I can summon demons doesn't mean I shouldn't care about others. A lot of warlocks get lost in the power and the void overtakes their minds, but if you remember that power isn't the only important thing it helps you resist the temptations the demons offer.”

“What's a Naaru?” asked Noiro. The three sat on the floor around Adell, waiting intently for her answer.

She sat, leaning her back against the wall. “They are this beings born right from the Light. One is the leader of the Draenei, those blue goat people like the hunter and priest that came here with me, and there are lots in Outland I guess. Cleo says they can see into your soul and touch your mind and stuff.”

Rain made a face. “That sounds painful.”

Adell shrugged. “I'm not sure. I haven't met one. Cleo goes to visit the ones in Outland every month so I don't think it's painful.”

“Is Cleomara really seven feet tall and an angel that shines like a sun and sends zombies fleeing with just a word?”

Fear's outrageous question made Adell laugh. “No, she's just like me only older, so she's better at just about everything.”

“Oh like Zyx!” said Rain.

“Or Tea and Zarek. They are the oldest people here and they're the best at everything.”

“Perhaps you shouldn't waste your time sticking your noses in the business of outsiders and focus for a few moments. You do not become stronger sitting around.” Trynitea appeared like magic, again, and the older worgans hurried to leave the room. Fear stayed where he was, pouting at the wolf-woman.

“But Tea-”

“Adell, perhaps you should be dealing with your task at hand. We are on a very strict schedule.” The werewolf left. She was no sooner out the door then Fear bombarded her with questions.

Adell tucked her homesickness away and focused on the youngster, determined to help him. At least Cleo would approve when she found out, and might be able to talk Yaz into not kicking her out of the guild.


* * * * * * *** * *


A week passed and Adell wasn't sure if she'd ever be allowed to return home. Fear followed her around like a lost puppy, Rain and Noiro asked her about everything that came to mind when they could get away from whatever the scowling Trynitea had them doing. Even the hostile Kamisole was warming up to her. Kristallia, another teen that shared the room with the others, never let Adell out of her sight, insisting to teach her about their pack and how everyone came to be there. The warlock even had a run in with the crazed wizard Arugal, who had personally come to check on Fear's progress. He raved about his poor children and their misfortune before Trynitea and Zyx, who Adell still refused to speak to on principle, lead him back to his study deep in the keep.

Then there were the ghosts. Certain parts of the keep were dominated by the things and they were not happy with anyone, not even themselves. They also made the few escape plans Adell could hatch up impossible. They made good targets for Fear's training, meaning she didn't have a real excuse to leave the Keep, and the only ways out were either past them or past the worgans. Without a staff or wand or her soul stone she couldn't fight the ghosts and the worgans were ever vigilant, something that really didn't surprise her.

While Adell was stuck at the keep being followed around by the gang of teenage worgans, Ali, Quinn, and Kair stalked their rooms in one of Southshore's inns, waiting for Yazminea and Cleomara to arrive with back up from Stormwind. As soon as they had reached the town they had contacted their fearless leader, telling her Adelliza was in danger but not telling them how or who was holding her. Cleo didn't need any details. She heard Adell and danger in the same sentence she was already barking orders, getting what guildmates she could to immediately set out for Southshore. An oath was an oath, but that didn't mean they couldn't get revenge and keep their promise at the same time. Kairley, their mastermind, had outdone herself with her story to Yazminea about what had happened. Murmura helped transport the six other women going to the rescue Cleo's baby sister to the death knight strong hold in the Eastern Plaguelands, which was only four days flight from Southshore to the experienced riders and their winged mounts.

The little inn was in a rush to prepare for the large group on the way. Southshore was a sleepy little town, the only Alliance town in the hilly country so close to two of the Horde capital cities, and it wasn’t used to so many friendly visitors. The inn was already full with the young trio and it’s two other guests, a pair the young ones knew very well. One was a night elf druid from Darnassus called Kima who, while not belonging to their guild, was still very well known and loved by their leaders. The other was the infamous Mastra Cappin, a rogue well known for her work on the battlefield, both against the vicious Horde and whatever threats plagued the area she happened to be in. She was beautiful, cunning, ruthless, and hilarious. She also took a liking to Kairley, whom she loved poking at while drinking the locals under the table.

Yazminea and her gaggle of girlies arrived on schedule. Kair and Mastra were playing darts while the twins and Kima played cards when the group arrived. The common room of the small inn was full to bursting with the slew of Wicked Times members and their commotion. Yazminea, Cleomara, and Melicilia, the only humans among the new arrivals, sat with Kair and Mastra to hear again Kairley’s story and to plan their attack. Elly Broong and the Bearacadia, both druids from Darnassus, spoke with Kima in their native tongue while Murmura lead her youngest daughters away. Amanya, another dreanei and the only paladin of the group, was arranging for room to be made for them at the inn.

“Now, Kairley, I want details and now,” said Yazminea as she settled in her seat.

“Well see we went in and we didn’t find anything really but there was this huge rock slide!” Kair babbled for a moment about the weather and how poorly placed the Keep was and about Adell being trapped deep under the rubble before Cleo slammed her mug on the table.

“Kairley you tell me this instant what really happened or I will involve your parents. Do you understand me?” the priest snapped.

The young mage gulped at the mention of her mothers. Ariani, her birth mother, was a mage that lived and worked in Stormwind, training those new to magecraft and helping with the defense and continued prosperity of the city. She was a sweetheart who worried endlessly about her only daughter, but it was Kairley’s adoptive mother, the woman her mommy had fallen for after being abandoned by Kair's father, that would flip her wig if she found out her daughter was lying to the guild leaders again. Chic Norris was part of The Famous Femme Fatale, an arena team that fights the Horde in gladiator-like competitions that took place once a year and drew crowds wherever fights were held of both Alliance and Horde spectators. A mage like her wife and daughter, Chic would not hesitate to severally punish Kairley for trying to pull a fast one on their esteemed leader.

The young mage chewed on her lip and looked from Cleo to Yazminea. “I can’t guys. Really. Please don’t tell Mother. They made me swear a blood oath before I could leave. I have to SHOW you! We have to go!”

“Who?” demanded Cleo.

“Horde?” asked Yazminea.

Kariley shook her head. “It’s a blood oath guys jeez you know how those work!”

“It was a pack of Worgans, wasn’t it?”

Silence filled the inn as everyone turned to stare at Mastra. The druids shooed the civilians out before joining the others around Kairley, who gave no sign one way or the other that Mastra was right, telling those gathered that the rogue was right.

“Since when can worgans make blood oaths?” snapped Mel.

Mastra and Kima shared a look that ended in Kima nodding.

“Since we have reigned in the feral side of our nature to reclaim our humanity,” Mastra answered.

Everyone but Kima gasped and took several steps away. Kairley stared at Mastra like she’d sprouted fur and fang right there in the inn.

“But-but you’ve been around for years and Aunt Rai talks about you all the time you can’t be a monster!” the little gnome babbled.

“I am not a monster! I am the woman I have made myself to be, not the vicious wolf you a******s assume I am because of my genes.”

“But that’s not what is important here.” Kima put a hand on Mastra’s shoulder, pushing her gently back into her seat. “The Forsaken are trying to broaden their country’s borders. They are seeking to claim lands that once belong to Gilneas, the human empire that fell to the curse of the wolf, which are now the territory of the many worgan packs that never left the home they knew as humans, including the pack in Shadowfang Keep where Adell is most likely being held.”

“So the Forsaken has declared war on the worgans?” asked Yazminea.

“Yes, and the worgans are gathering under the command of King Genn Greymane and Darius Crowley to try and escape the Forsaken.” Kima paused to let that sink in before she continued. “Malfurion Stormrage has spoken in depth with King Greymane and King Wrynn. Greymane wants to add his strength to ours, and they have proven their worth to everyone after the battle at Ashenvale. The worgans that are willing have been accepted into the Alliance. Mastra and I have been sent along with several other small groups to evacuate as many worgan packs as we can who cannot fight the Forsaken.”

The members of Wicked Times couldn't seem to decide if they were more angry at the undead members of the Horde or about the beasts being invited into their faction, so they burst into angry chatter over both topics. Mastra curled her lips and put her fist through the table to silence their complaints.

“You nitwits are missing the big picture here. In a war against the worgans, where do you think that will strike next? They have the capital and Gilneas lands behind their wall, but what do you think their next stop is?” snarled the rogue. “Good old SFK, where the curse began, that's where. According to our sources, we have three days to get as many people out of there as we can and be gone before the zombie forces arrive and kill everything in sight. So if you want your sister back, Cleo, we don’t got all day for you guys to be pissy about furries joining your ranks.”

Cleo glared at Mastra. “I don’t give a damn if you are a flying purple people eater, those f*****g zombies are not hurting my baby sister. I’m leaving in an hour, with or without the rest of you.”


* * * * * * * * * * * * *


One afternoon a pair of new worgan ran into the Keep. Adell was out in the courtyard with Fear and Rain when they arrived. They collapsed in the courtyard, panting and twitching as if they had pushed themselves too fast and too far, while the worgans burst into action. Guard wolves went to carry the new arrivals out of the hot sun while others went to fetch Trynitea. One of the guards, a huge black wolf with a scar over one eye that the young worgans called Zarek, spotted them and snarled.

“Get to you're hall and stay there, welps, or I'll beat you're fur burgundy.”

He barely finished with his threat before the pubs grabbed Adell and dragged her quick as they could back to the hall they shared. Noiro was sulking in the halls when they arrived, restringing his bow for the hundredth time since he had been ordered to stay indoors for hiding one of the gray wolves that lived in the mountain forests around the Keep in the stables. He reminded Adell of Quinn, quiet and curious with a knack for animals that bordered on obsession. It was not long before Kami and Kris Join them, the scowling Zarek poking his head in to count them.

“Where's the other pub?” he growled.

The worgans shivered under the weight of Zarek's stare. Kami stuttered as she said, “Sh-sh-she is s-scouting with Zyx, sir.”

“Stay here. Someone will fetch you for supper.” He left closing the door roughly. The five amused themselves in their rooms until Rain arrived soon after the sun set. She lead them into the kitchens where their dinner was waiting. They had even cooked Adell's bear meat all the way through. The kids were furry while they ate and listened to Rain tell them about the messengers that Adell and Fear had seen.

“One of them was from the far northern part of the forest. The worgan packs there have been under attack by the Forsaken. He says he is only a few sunrises ahead of a mess of zombies heading this way. But the second messenger is from the south. A group of humans and elves and goat creatures are riding toward us like demons on the hunt. We are trapped between enemies. Trynitea and Zyx think.... they think we're all going to die unless we can find some way to escape and hide.”

The younger wolves whined softly and looked frantic. Adell dropped her food in her lap as she watched them huddle together, Rain trying to sooth them with some of Trynitea's plans to save them. The older wolves were all working through the night, trying to get everything ready to leave and insure the females and the young got away. They were just kids, barely old enough to be allowed away from their mothers, and they were already faced with their mortality. It wasn't right. The Forsaken she could do nothing else, but the group coming from the south....

“Rain, did anyone say anything specific about the group coming here from the south?” she asked.

Rain stopped mid-sentence to frown thoughtfully. “The messenger said there was an army of them, humans and elves and goat-people, all women. Some were flying on dragons all over the place. One on a dragon green as acid that breathed yellow gas and the others on ice blue drakes shrouded in light mist, others were on horses and huge leathery mountains with white spires coming from it's face. They scared him half to death.”

Adell shot up and waved her hands at the wolves. “I need to speak to Trynitea. I think my sister is leading that group. I can save the pack.”

The worgans grinned and danced her before Rain caught her hand, ordering the others back to their hall, and lead her to the room Trynitea paced, studying crudely drawn maps of the area. The older werewolf curled a lip at them.

“Angelic Rain, I told you to return to your hall.”

“Tea, Adell thinks she can save us.”

Trynitea turned her sharp glare on the human girl. “And how do you propose this, human pub?”

“One of the riders from the south, they rode an acid green dragon with yellow foggy breath?”

“Yes, that is what one of the messengers reported.”

“That is not a common mount. They are rare drakes bred by the fish-men from Northrend. My elder sister is one of the few people who have one. She calls him Gasly.”

“Your sister? Cleomara?”

“Yes. If I ask her, she will help your pack escape the Forsaken. I mean, besides killing Quinn's bear, you haven't hurt any of us. I can convince her to spare you.”

Trynitea snarled. “I will not be tricked, girl. This is my family and I will take no chances with their lives. You are just as likely to lead us to our deaths rather than our salvation.”

“Our guild takes in orphans and I normally help with them. Playing with them and stuff. Those kids we take in are just like Fear and the others. I still don't forgive Zyx for feeding us to the wolves and I am not saying this of all worgans alive but you guys.... you guys deserve to live.”

Trynitea studied her before nodding. “I will accept that. What should we do?”

“We should meet them in the road south. They will stick to the road, so we can easily meet them there. Everyone has to leave the Keep who wants to live and I'll talk them into escorting you somewhere safe. There should be mages with them that can transport you anywhere in the world in a second.”

“Then go rest, pubs. We will be ready and gone before the sun reaches the top of the sky. Come.” Trynitea walked them back to their hall and all the young worgans settled around Adell in their normal pile to stay warm in the cold night. In the morning the girl would finally be heading home and with some more friends. Hopefully Cleo and Yazminea had a good idea of where to hide the pack or she wouldn't leave.

All of the youngsters were awakened early that morning not long after the sun rose. Adell and the older pubs were leaving first with Trynitea, Zyx, Zarek, two worgan women who tended the four baby werewolves ranging from about three months to five years old, and half a dozen of the guard wolves. Many of the worgans refused to leave their home and their 'father', but Trynitea refused to allow the younger generation to linger, whither their parents were staying or not. Zarek spent almost an hour shouting and howling at who Adell guessed was his brother, who had chosen to stay and stall the Forsaken as long as he could. It wasn't until Trynitea snapped at him about the children needing a distraction as much as they needed protection that he went back to his normal scowling self and didn't say much as they left and headed along the south road to intercept the Wicked Times cavalry.

The sun was sinking in the sky when the group of wolves stopped to set up camp. The Keep was behind them and soon they expected to see the group of Alliance barreling towards them. Everyone except Adell and Trynitea huddled together to rest while they could, Adell looking to the south for her sister and Trynitea studying the way they had come, fearing Forsaken followers. They sat in silence as the sun sank and the stars came out to light the night.

“Hey Trynitea? Did you really meet my sister?”

The druid was quiet for so long Adell thought she wouldn't answer. “Yes.”

“How? I mean, I've never heard Cleo talk about saving worgans before.”

“Probably because she promised not to tell anyone.” She sighed, but kept her eyes to the north as she told the story. “It was during one of the many raids on the Keep . I was almost thirteen and Zyx's father was pack leader then. Rain and Noiro were barely three, Fear's mother Clarity was pregnant with him then and Zarek's mate Illia was expecting as well. I was told to take them out of the Keep and hide in the woods with them. It was ease sneaking out, but we were caught by some of the Undead who patrol the mountain. They.... I couldn't save Illia. They put two swords through her stomach before cutting off her head. They were about to kill me and Clarity when a scream came from behind them and they scattered. A woman surrounded by a golden bubble attacked them as they ran around like chickens with their heads cut off, killing all four of them with light that hurt my eyes. She looked like an angel I had seen a painting of in Argul's books. She healed our wounds and said some prayer over Illia.

“'Head toward the coast,' she said. 'I was just there, and only saw some spiders. I sense more zombies in the direction you are heading.' She shooed us away, promising to hide Illia's body so it wouldn't be used by the Forsaken. I asked her why she would help us and she said, 'I don't make a habit of killing moms and kids. I'd never be able to look my baby sister In the face again if I did. Besides, I swore to the Light I'd help those in need, and I never go back on my word.'

“I asked her name and she gave it. We headed for the coast and soon Zarek came out for us. Zarek... didn't take Illia's death well, but we found her undisturbed near where the Forsaken stole her from us. Cleo had left a gold pearl rosary in her hands. I don't know why, but Zarek never goes without it. He never talks about Illia anymore. Hell, I haven't seen the hound do anything but scowl in the last eleven years.”

She fell silent and Adell put a hand on her shoulder. “It wasn't your fault, Trynitea.”

The older girl curled her lip at Adell. “You weren't there you have no idea what you're talking about.”

“But I do and she's right. It wasn't your fault Illia died. It was the Forsaken's fault.”

They both jumped and spun. Cleomara grinned as Adell launched herself into her arms.

“There's my little demon. I have been so worried about you! What did I tell you about this trip?”

“That it was a horrible awful idea. I should have listened to you.”

“Maybe not. At this rate I'll make an Ambassador out of you yet.” Cleo released her sister and offered her hand to Trynitea. “Good to see you. I had hoped you would look out for my baby sister, if you were still around.”

The wolf druid accepted her hand. “To be honest, I almost killed them all. The safety of the pack always comes first, but she looked enough like you that I hoped she was as honorable as you as well. She has confirmed my own hopes.”

“I am glad you didn't. I'd feel awful if I had to kill you all,” Cleo said with a chuckle. “But we can chat later. We have to get you out of here. Is this the whole pack?”

“No, but the others refused to trust outsides with their lives. The would rather face the Forsaken.”

“Then it is too late for them. Elly and Bear have been scouting the skies, and the Forsaken are too close to the Keep to try and save anymore of your pack. I'm sorry, Trynitea.”

The wolf shook her head. “It is the young that matter. Do you know a place we can go where it will be safe?”

“Yes. Darnassus.”

“The night elf capital city?” Adell asked with a frown.

“Yes. Things are changing in the Alliance. The night elves found King Greymane, and the worgans are uniting under him and joining us. Mastra Cappin and Aunt Kima have come from Darnassus to try and get as many worgans as we can to safety.”

“The Mastra Cappin? Why would she come?”

“Because she is a worgan, apparently, but we can talk later. Walk the others and I'll get Yaz up and have her start casting the portal we need. We set up camp about fifteen minutes up the road.”

Trynitea nodded and went to what was left of her pack. She quickly explained that the humans were going to help them and that they had to hurry. They were ready by the time Cleo returned with Mastra, who was as furry as the others. Yaz had the portal up and ready, half of the group gone already to prepare the Priestesses of Elune for their new guests. In ten minutes everyone was safely in the city, Mastra and Kima leading the way to the Howling Oak, the worgan's new home in the northern part of the city.

King Greymane himself and Gwen Armstead greeted them, welcoming them to their new life, and showing the wary travelers where they could rest. Most of the guild members went home, and when Yazminea was done porting them all to their destinations she, Adell, Cleo, and Mastra went to Kima's home in Darnassus' Craftmen's Terrace, where Yazminea's boyfriend Toshraka, a night elf rogue and her second in command, waited for them. Sleep quickly followed their arrival and the next morning they were woken early by several of the younger, newer members of the guild pounding on the door looking for their leaders.

Unfortunately for them, Cleomara is not the sweetest of people after being rudely woken with barely five hours of sleep under her belt. Within fifteen minutes most of the lesser members were fleeing for their hides and Cleo's threats were reaching a new level of creativity. Only Momiji Chan and Cho Furtherfield stuck around, unphased by her violent rant. They smiled at her and offered her breakfast, refusing to leave. Soon after they joined the rest in the huge open dining/living room that was most of Kima's home Trynitea, Zarek, and Zyx joined them without their fur. Zarek asked for a word outside with Cleo while Trynitea and Zyx stood before Yazminea. Adell stayed with Cho and Momiji on the long sofa with Kima.

“I am glad to see you're not trying to run from me, Zyx. You do know I am pissed at you right?” asked Yazminea. Tosh sat beside her on the arm of her arm chair, silent but watchful.

“I know, Miss Yaz.”

“He was protecting his sister. You shouldn't be angry with him. It's not like we hurt the brats or Adell.” Trynitea snarled. Zyx hit her with his elbow and growled something to her under his breath. The smaller worgan huffed.

“Yes, Cleomara told me all about it. She's been harping at me about not sending groups to SFK for over ten years. And I understand wanting to protect a sister, but, damn it, Zyx, you lied to me. To us all. That is one of my hugest pet peeves and you know that.” Zyx flinched under the piercing glare of Wicked Times' leader. “Which is why you are going to be cooking for the guild by yourself for the next month. You collect ingredients yourself and you cook yourself. Understood?”

The big man stared at her shocked. “I'm not being kicked out?”

“Of course not and since Quinn is going to be joining the next Nesingwary expedition in Stranglethorn Vale she will be well over her hurt the next time you meet. I'm even arranging for Ali to volunteer her healing skills to Ashenvale. They will be busy for months. As for the other worgans, they are free citizens of the Alliance now. They can do whatever they wish now. We will welcome any that want to join us into Wicked Times.”

“Really? We can join you?” asked Trynitea, stunned.

“Of course. Worgans are our allies now, and there is no reason to deny you.”

“Yeah, pretty puppy, we won't deny you anything.” Cho toasted Trynitea with his drink and winked.

Everyone except Tea laughed. She was too busy blushing. Cho stood and leaned over her hand, his dark hair falling in his face as his ice blue misty eyes gleamed at her, eyes that marked him as a death knight.

“Now I know I am not a hunter but I am still looking for a trustworthy pet to join me. What do you say?”

Tea curled her lip, flashing sharpened canines. “I'd rather eat your liver.”

“Oh, do you promise? I don't mind being prey so long as I'm your only target.”

Adell pushed Cho away from the worgan. “Go bother someone else, Cho, I am going to show Trynitea around. Come on, Momiji.”

The girls left as Yaz and Tosh laughed at Cho's failure. Zyx spread the news to the other pack members. Rain and a few others decided to join guild while the others chose to seek their own fortunes. Zarek wasn't seen after Cleomara returned to them and she wasn't telling anyone where he had went, other than that he would be fine on his own. The worgans settled seamlessly into the fabric of life in Wicked Times.

© 2012 Burr the Story Sorceress


Author's Note

Burr the Story Sorceress
A short story about characters in my World of Warcarft guild.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

339 Views
Added on February 4, 2012
Last Updated on February 4, 2012

Author

Burr the Story Sorceress
Burr the Story Sorceress

A Really Cold Place, OH



About
I am a kinda loud person who is very blunt. I tend to talk before I think. I go with the flow, most of the time. When I get excited, my stutter comes back with a vengence. I do the best I can and that.. more..

Writing