Just Another Calypso

Just Another Calypso

A Poem by Bushra Naqshbandi
"

Calypso was a cursed Greek maiden who was trapped alone and whenever someone fell in love with her, he left her and never returned.

"
She's just another Calypso, 
Waiting endlessly for her love, 
He, who's never going to come, 
He, who isn't meant to stay. 

She's so tired of waiting, 
So sick of crying, 
So sad of wishing, 
So helpless against trying. 

Staring at the horizon, 
Hoping to see him arrive, 
The thought gave her joy, 
It made her feel alive. 

But happiness and her! 
She was a cursed soul, 
Destiny was against her, 
Torment its only goal. 

Her despair was eternal, 
Her pain never-ending, 
Her wait was eternal, 
Her tears never ending. 

All alone on her island, 
Trapped by pitiless fate, 
Unluckily born immortal, 
Miserable was her state. 

And this girl also goes on singing, 
She begs him to return now, 
'Coz she's just another Calypso, 
Waiting endlessly for her love.

© 2015 Bushra Naqshbandi


Author's Note

Bushra Naqshbandi
This is all based on the mythological Greek maiden Calypso and how she must've felt. She was punished for supporting the Titans against the Greek Gods. Her punishment was that she was imprisoned on an island called Ogygia which was separated from the rest of the world. She was condemned to loneliness. Once, in a few centuries,a hero was sent to her. Both would fall in love with each other but the hero always had to leave her as she was cursed to a lonely existence and once he left, he could never return as no one found Ogygia twice. I've connected a broken hearted girl I know to Calypso because her heartache seems never-ending just like Calypso.Do review and tell me how it was. Criticism is appreciated. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Firstly, I must appreciate your knowledge on Greek Mythology...The thought in itself was so unique!
Coming to the poem, I could feel the pain and anguish of the girl. And you managed to convey it with sheer brilliance...And I loved how you have repeated the first two lines at the end. A lovely read!
Great job!
Maumil

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bushra Naqshbandi

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much Maumil. Your appreciation sure means a lot! :)



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
~
This is an interesting take on Calypso and describing her as being lonely.
Just some more facts about her: While it is true that she might have felt lonely, the crucial reason for her existence was to deceive - tied closely to the meaning of her name. :D

Posted 8 Years Ago


Bushra Naqshbandi

8 Years Ago

I was unaware of this point. Thank you for the information as well as your review! :)
I say, this girl needs to dance--
try the Calypso
she won't wait long to meet a guy
Greek dancers are beautiful
thanks for the poem

Posted 8 Years Ago


Bushra Naqshbandi

8 Years Ago

Thanks a lot! :)
Hi there! Thanks for all your beautiful commentaries upon my work. I appreciate them.

You have a good knowledge of Greek mythology, I must say. I liked the way you used Calypso as a means of portrayal of your character.

Can I give you some advice?

In first stanza, you have used the word:- "Gonna". It is a colloquial term, absolutely not to be used here. Amend it to " going to".

Then the line will go as:-

"He, who's never going to come"

In fourth stanza:-

"it's" is a contraction for " it is or it has" it can't be used for possession. This is one of the major mistakes, because it is a convention to use apostrophe "s" for possession. But, the case is different for "it".

Amend it to "its". And, the line will go like this:-

"Torment its only goal."

I must appreciate you. These were the only weakness of this poem, form my point of view. Sorry, I also can be wrong in that.

"Loneliness is the cruelest irony of life".

I can feel the eagerness of that girl to come out of that dystopia. The rhyme scheme really does the job.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece of write and also giving a little knowledge of Greek mythology.

Devanshu





Posted 8 Years Ago


Bushra Naqshbandi

8 Years Ago

Thank you for the detailed review Devanshu and especially for pointing out the two mistakes which en.. read more
Devanshu Rajput

8 Years Ago

I am glad that I was any help. My review was not as much as detailed as of your reviews.
read more
always loved Greek mythology right from my school days. seeing it here with such amazing description was fabulous. I applaud the creativity that you have been endowed with. the clever way you intertwined your own thoughts with the pain of Calypso is lovely. Hats off Darling :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Bushra Naqshbandi

8 Years Ago

This review really made my day! Thank you so much! :)
the dimension of your knowledge and interpretation is good. keep growing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Bushra Naqshbandi

8 Years Ago

Thanks a lot! :)
Loneliness will make you mad
But it also makes you to prove your existence
Beautiful poem bushra.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Bushra Naqshbandi

8 Years Ago

Thank you! :)
Wow, what an awesome poem! I love the wrap around ending. You truly express the feelings in this poem that Calypso would have felt. Love this idea!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bushra Naqshbandi

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review. :)
Firstly, I must appreciate your knowledge on Greek Mythology...The thought in itself was so unique!
Coming to the poem, I could feel the pain and anguish of the girl. And you managed to convey it with sheer brilliance...And I loved how you have repeated the first two lines at the end. A lovely read!
Great job!
Maumil

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bushra Naqshbandi

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much Maumil. Your appreciation sure means a lot! :)
its different not something I have heard before but I like:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bushra Naqshbandi

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much :)
I love mythological Greek stuff.... always been fascinated with the Gods and find it really interesting stuff. I really enjoyed it wouldn't change anything... it tells an awesome story. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bushra Naqshbandi

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

744 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 24, 2015
Last Updated on May 15, 2015

Author

Bushra Naqshbandi
Bushra Naqshbandi

Srinagar, Kashmir, India



About
An ardent admirer of Jane Austen, J.K. Rowling, Agatha Christie, Enid Blyton and Rick Riordian. Want to grow as a writer and become popular with the masses. :) more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bleed Bleed

A Poem by wordman


Insanity Insanity

A Poem by Deepika