2

2

A Chapter by Broken Hearted Faux

2

~

And she knows how to treat a fella right,

Give me that feeling every night,

Wants to make love when I wanna fight,

Now someone understand me,

I'm in love with a girl- I'm in Love with a Girl, Gavin Degraw

 

Morning came all too early for my taste. Though when I woke, I looked over my shoulder and found Zoey asleep with her back to me. Her hair fell around her face, sweet and innocent. We had quickly put ourselves to bed after that kiss the night before.

That kiss...

What was that kiss anyway?

My mind was consumed in thought of the day previous as I showered, washing myself down with a scrubby. Vanilla scent filled the shower and I breathed in deeply. Exhaling, I heard footsteps in the bathroom. It took all my willpower to stop myself from curiously peeking out of the shower.

Then arms were around my waist, followed by a yawn. A smile crept across my face as I glanced over at Zoey. Her eyelids were heavy as she yawned again. It was cute.

Wait. Cute?

"You're in my shower." She grumbled and I laughed, shoulders bouncing.

"Get your own shower, lesbo." I grinned at her.

Her eyes slit and hurt brought tears. Pain hit me hard like a ton of bricks seeing her face crumple when those words escaped. I wanted nothing more than to press rewind and try over again.

"No... Zoey, that's not what I meant."

Her bored face was on, trying hard to hold back the hurt. She turned her gaze away from my face to the soap, and then back again.

"I hate labels."

Just those simple words threw me back. Did she just admit to being one?

And then she was gone. Grabbing a towel and wrapping it around her as she left to my bedroom. I tried to follow, but once I made it there, she was gone, along with all of her stuff but her favorite teddy bear.

Now was my turn to cry, but I couldn't bring myself to do it, and instead worry brought me back to reality. Where had she gone? Not back to her grandparents' house. Not without telling me. No. She had gone somewhere else. Somewhere close to home.

I dressed in a hurry, quickly brushing my hair before bolting out the door with my usual back pack on. My feet ran miles to the fields, running myself tired and sore, collapsing on one of the hills. I was panting hard, picking myself up to continue running when I tripped over something, biting my tongue as my chin hit the ground. A groan escaped past my lips.

"Rose! Oh god. I'm so sorry."

Somewhere between the aching of my head, and the blood taste in my mouth, I managed to recognize Zoey's voice and grunt a response. She helped me up, sitting me on my bed, leaned against her. Her eyes were puffy from tears, and I saw the ones dried on her face.

"Zoey..." My fingers caressed her cheek. "I'm sorry...I didn't mean to hurt you."

Her smile is soft, "But you didn't. I did. You just tripped over me and now your tongue is bleeding."

"No, Zoey... I mean from before. In the shower..."

Her finger presses gently against my lips to hush me. I stare into her eyes and then take a deep breath. No point in arguing.

Instead I drew her into my arms and she snuggled into my chest, purring slightly. Then the buzz of my cell brought our attention to reality. Picking it up, I read caller ID as my mother.

I hesitated.

"Answer it, Rosy."

I did. "Hello?"

"Where are you, young lady?"

"In the fields with Zoey. She had a nervous break down."

A moment of silence. "Well her grandparents are worried sick about her. They didn't know where she went last night and couldn't find her this morning."

That's right... We never called them.

"I'll make sure to call them now, mom."

"Be safe, sweetie." With that the line went dead.

Zoey's eyes were innocent as she looked up at me, head tilted in a cute way. She just looked so cute, I had to kiss her. And surprisingly, I did, hearing her squeak at first, but then melt into the kiss, returning it shortly before we both broke it, giving awkward looks.

"S-so what did your mom call about?" A heavy blush was up her neck and ears.

I rubbed at her back, "You grandparents were freaking out. We forgot to call them last night cause of the..." My voice drifted off.

"Cause of the kiss..." She finished.

Awkward silence drifted along with the wind between us. Thoughts wandered around in my head. That's twice we've kissed already. Is there some sort of spark we share? Do I dare ask? I didn't want to offend her a second time that day. She had spent too many crying as it was.

"Zoey."

Her eyes met mine.

It was as though I had been swallowed inside the hollow of her eyes, frantically riding the whirlpool inside. I couldn't find my tongue. Then again, it was numb from my clumsiness before.

"Yeah, Rose?"

Work mouth! Spit something out! Say something!

"Garbeglsheodfs."

Her eyebrows raised in confusion. "What?" Her smile was cute.

Focus. Try again. Don't try too hard. "Maybe we should go..."

Her smile fell, but her eyes still stayed on mine. "Ok."

She made a quick effort to press her forehead to mine, standing next and putting on her own back pack. Her eyes fell upon the city that felt so far away now. How far did I run? I never noticed when worry and adrenaline was pushing me.

Her fingers gently slid their way between mine, squeezing her palm tightly against my own. An adorable smile slid its way onto her lips as she bounced in place and followed closely behind me. While walking her arms wound around one of my own as she held it to her chest, purring. I found myself swallowing hard, trying to focus on the landscape ahead of us.

School would be starting tomorrow. Our new lives as Juniors. Sophomore and Freshman years were behind us now. Time to make a new journey. Of course, I never could find myself traveling the path alone. It was always with Zoey. She had always been by my side since day one of our friendship and now years and years later; here we were still hooked at the hip. And the lips...

What were those kisses...?

 Shaking my head, I felt the first drop of rain as the clouds rolled in. I raise my eyes to the sky, feeling Zoey bury her face in my neck. Then my head shoots down and I look at her shiver, holding onto me for any kind of warmth. I remove my jacket, wrapping it tightly around her.

"A-are you sure?"

I nod my reply.

"Thanks so much, Rosy..."

"Anytime, Zoe."

She beams a smile at me, holding her close again as the wind picked up. Then the rain poured buckets down, forcing us to run to our limits, hiding under the same from the night previous.

She cupped my face in her palms, bringing my forehead down hers, closing her eyes. Her smile grew on her face when she planted a big kiss on me, escaping through her window back into her room.

Standing in the rain, I stared at her window, stunned. I knew my hair was soaked. Knew my makeup was a mess down my face. Zoey must've found it cute. She kissed me because I was cute.

Or maybe, she was in love with me.

Just like I was with her.



© 2014 Broken Hearted Faux


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
Added on March 15, 2014
Last Updated on March 15, 2014


Author

Broken Hearted Faux
Broken Hearted Faux

Salt Lake City, UT



About
Hello, the name's Lexy I've been on and off from Writerscafe between life and inspiration. I was once a dedicated writer, always with a pencil in my hand and a notebook by my side no matter whe.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Broken Hearted Faux