Forever Happy

Forever Happy

A Story by Broken Hearted Faux
"

Lemme make you think. Lemme dazzle you with knowledge only I may look upon and know exactly what the world asks...

"

From the first line, to the end, and from the first breath, to the final breath. We are all the same. Living amongst recognizable faces still trying to be seen, but cannot. One is my own. For it is lost behind dark walls, and deserted chambers. The only sound is the cry of another, but even that is not familiar. It is not a calming sound to hear one’s pain. Nor is it to hear their final breath.

But that is what it’s like down here. Kept for experimentation, and fusions. Thinking to yourself as you barely struggle to be sane. Understanding what cannot be understood. Between fine lines are words, crushed beneath letters are even more to the eye. And yet. You never really notice them, until you’ve spent as long as I have staring in the dark.

Blood? Ah, yes, the word brings yet scarlet memories I have not yet erased. And no matter how many scrub downs I give myself in water, I know under the skin lies bloody hands unseen by human eyes. That is, because I am not human, nor am I not. The slurred name, Necroblood on our kind. The ones who sacrificed themselves for a better future. Now we are rats in mazes for their entertainment.

We’re a living curse that cannot be undone. Damned for our mistakes. How could’ve this happened? I know…I know too much. To really grasp what is around my question, and yet it hides from me. I have yet to seek the answer to something I crave to understand. Something…worth the trouble of learning. What really was this all for?

Though, this isn’t the first time I’ve thought this question over. It dares to haunt me during nights I can not sleep, for the screams of my kin, the ones too who are damned, cry out as their last breath touches the cruel, cold air. And I am to wonder, when will it be me next to be tested till I’m slaughtered?

Yet in darkness, my ears flicker when my sister scrapes her heel against the concrete floor. Her head is heavy as it lolls to each side. She sleeps when silence is key to our home. It is all we can really do unless they need us. Heaven knows when they need us. And even in the dark, her blonde hair is visible.

It descends down her face, framing it in ringlets that bounce whenever she smiles. Though recently, her bubbly optimism has been wearing down. Her hope doesn’t show on her sleeve anymore. Her gray eyes are more clouded and they rain tears sometimes when our kin cry. And yet, she can still sleep. It surprises me.

I grasp the cold bars front of our chamber. A neon blue light barely flickers on the corner of the room, enough for it to highlight Kyle’s structure. Lying back in his chair, he sleeps soundly, hand resting on his thigh. On him are blue lab clothes, baggy and yet sanitary. A mask, tied with a white string behind his head, covers his mouth. Black hair as dark as a crow’s feather, and just as light, I always want to know how soft it felt.

“You look exhausted, Alkaia.” My sister speaks softly behind me as I turn my head to see her. “Why don’t you lie down with me and rest?”

I exchange a sincere look with her. “I simply cannot, Rhene. For their cries still ring in my ears. And I believe the cries will not simply stop until their final echo is exhausted.”

She arises slowly and comes to comfort me. Through she may be the younger one; she is also me more secure and loving. “Alkaia, my sister, it is not their cries of pain that you hear, but their soft prayer to be released from this curse, can you not see?”

I nod solemnly. “Yes, I understand, Rhene. For I understand many things. Even things you cannot understand are simply put in a blank state to be seen and wondered, until you yourself finally figure as to why the state is blank.”

“And why is the state blank, sister?” Rhene’s eyes are diamonds, trying to comprehend what I speak of.

“Because it is a void, one to lose yourself once there, a clear visual of what you see. All its aspects are there in front of you. Yet you reach out and can touch it, whilst yet you cannot. It is air, my dear sister; air is the void to lose yourself into.” I stare into her eyes deeply. “Do you understand this?”

Her eyes melt, and her voice softens. It is but a warm cream to bathe one’s soul in a comfort. To allow a spiritual presence to be known and heard as calm, peaceful, inviting. And in no shape could you ruin the words, twist them into hatred, for there is no hint of harm or hatred to be found or even meant to be smothered with to suffocate and be consumed.

“Yes, sister, I understand. You’ve put much thought into the hours of the day. Is that all you do is wonder, and begin to learn how to understand a question that life itself cannot answer?” She is as curious as I, but her curiosity does not get best of her as of mine.  

“Life is another presence in our world. One that seems to never end for us until it is by another’s hand.” I take her shoulder kindly and squeeze it. “Do not tell me you do not wonder as to why it is in their hands to decide our fate. Is not God the one to design the path and future of our feet to travel upon a safe and stony path? Surely there is no light to the end when you are surrounded by darkness and fear each hour of the day?”

She smiles. “My dear, Alkaia…”

“Don’t you dare start with your lectures, Rhene.” I command. “Enough words are spoken well enough tonight. Are we not wasting precious rest time that we could’ve had moments ago? And here we stand arguing what life knows, God knows, and our destinies twined. May the stars guide us if there is none other to. Pray to whomever, and pray they hear our call.”

“The only pray I make, sister, is the one that you stay alive.” The storm is easing in her gaze and she holds me to her. Her face buries itself into my neck as her lips kiss gently once. “My dearest sister, I pray you live. For without you, I am but alone.”

“Come, Rhene. Let us bow our heads under the stars and rest. We shall look to a newer brighter day.” I guide her to the corner to sleep.

As we lie down, Rhene is silent. Her breathing is calm, neutral. I cannot help but wonder if she is already fast asleep, but then know she is in a state of thinking. Her eyes watch the ceiling, while her head and body curl against me. I hold her close and kiss her head. And yet my eyes too fall upon something else. Someone else.

“A brighter day when the sun smiles, right, Alkaia?” Rhene’s voice is all but a murmur.

“And the flowers bloom, and we are accepted. A day when the matters of the world don’t matter anymore. A carefree place where we are happy. Forever.” I assure just as softly.

“Forever happy, Alkaia?” Her eyes meet mine in the dark.

“Yes, Rhene. Forever happy.” I hush. 

© 2011 Broken Hearted Faux


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"What really was this all for?" Great question, very powerful.
"...she is also me more secure and loving..." Reword that.
A very dark outlook on the world by Alkaia, one that I am sure many people have come to in their lives. You did a wonderful job using the characters to express your opinion on life, and whether its all worth it. Your introduction, just going through the characters thoughts truly lad us on into thinking this is an experimental piece and then you give us a real story. I think your setting in the jail, at least I think it is a jail with the tight quarters and the bars, is a great setting. Your imagery is great. There are some points where the wording could have been better. I would go through the beginning one more time and make your that you focus on one idea and that all that you say flows to that one idea because sometimes you go off in many directions that you don't continue. Over all awesome job :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


:O wow... awwwh!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


awww

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 27, 2011
Last Updated on July 27, 2011

Author

Broken Hearted Faux
Broken Hearted Faux

Salt Lake City, UT



About
Hello, the name's Lexy I've been on and off from Writerscafe between life and inspiration. I was once a dedicated writer, always with a pencil in my hand and a notebook by my side no matter whe.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Broken Hearted Faux