Phoenix and Wolf

Phoenix and Wolf

A Story by C.A. Lucas

Once upon a time, long, long ago in a far away land, lived only animals.  And at this time there was every animal on earth at this time, and all the others that have gone extinct, including animals like the Dragon and the Unicorn.  Unfortunately, we will not yet have a look at what goes on in their life.  This story is about a Phoenix (an extinct animal) and a Wolf (an animal commonly known to mankind).  This is a conversation they had one day.
The Phoenix was perched up in a tree, with not a problem in the world to worry about.  It merely sat there and breathed and enjoyed the pleasantry of life.
Then came the Wolf, who wrestled itself upon the base of the tree, with eyes of poison.
The Phoenix looked curiously at this, for it had never seen something so mad and vicious.
The wolf stayed where it was and huffed heavily.
The Phoenix had a good mind to say something, but of course it didn't.  It never gained much respect by opening its beak.
The wolf continued it's hefty breathing and it seemed as though it should be relaxed, but it stayed alert and furious.
The Phoenix almost felt like crying.  It had never seen something in so much pain.  It had to speak.
It cleared its throat.  "Ex- excuse me?  W-wolf?  I couldn't help bu-but notice how angry you seemed.=," it said in a weak, trembling voice.
The Wolf huffed.  "I'm sure nobody couldn't," it said in a big, strong voice.
Somehow the Phoenix felt more confident after this.  "Why is that?"
At this, the Wolf took time to look at the Phoenix while he spoke.  "Why are you so kind, when everybody has been rude to you, Phoenix?"
The Phoenix seemed startled at how deep the words of the Wolf were.  "Be-cause I believ-ve that the world should be filled with happy people.  No matter what it costs.  Why are you so angry w-when everyone is so respectful to you?  You are the alpha!"
Nobody has ever spoken to the Wolf in this way.  "How DARE you!  Being the alpha means receiving respect from most all, but ONLY most!  Other alphas and even other big wolves give me competition and their full loathing.  It is not always a good thing to be an alpha."
The Phoenix was not startled by the Wolf's fury.  It merely smiled and thought about the last sentence the Wolf had said.  "Well, it's not always fun to be insignificant."
The Wolf just sat and thought.  Eventually it came up with another question.  "Why do you always sit in trees?"
"I think that's because I am a people watcher.  That is one of the advantages of being insignificant.  I can do anything I want.  Why are you always so low to the ground, ordering everyone around?"  the Phoenix asked innocently.
"Honestly, I'm afraid of heights.  Mountains are big and flatter than trees, so I'm okay with those, but I'm always very scared of going up trees.  Tell me, Phoenix why are you so confident?"
"I'm not.  I just feel comfortable around you." the Phoenix admitted.
"Then why are you not confident?"
"Because nobody respects me."
The Wolf seemed sympathetic.  "I'm sorry.  They should. You say very wise things.  And don't say nobody.  I do."
"Thank you."
"It's my pleasure.  Just one more question."
"Go ahead."
"Why are you not intimidated by me?" it said in a strong, honorable voice.
The Phoenix thought long and hard about this.  It finally looked the Wolf straight into the eyes for the first time, and said, "Because I know we are the same."
And then Phoenix flew away.
Afterwards the Wolf, who saw the world with new eyes, and stopped being so bossy and angry, decided to claw his way up that tree.

© 2012 C.A. Lucas


Author's Note

C.A. Lucas
Hope you liked it. Please leave comments!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed this. Aesop would be proud! Fabled animals have a way of personifying the truths mere humans can only point toward. Your dialogue reads like you, yourself, are talking to the wolf and that personal connection is awesome! Careful to re-read each paragraph before moving on to the next, just to ensure quality. For example, this line in the opening paragraph is redundant: "... And at this time there was every animal on earth at this time..." Your writing is far too good for the reader to be distracted by a simple mistake or hastily written prose. Overall, I think these characters could easily be expounded on, lending themselves to a children's book or perhaps a whole illustrated series. Nice work! Please keep it up!

Posted 11 Years Ago


C.A. Lucas

11 Years Ago

Thank you for the review, I really appreciate it. I will correct that error and any other as soon as.. read more
very nice. puts a new spin on things, yes?

Posted 11 Years Ago


C.A. Lucas

11 Years Ago

Haha, most certainly. Thank you for reading.
OH. I really liked this one. I really liked "The Phoenix thought long and hard about this. It finally looked the Wolf straight into the eyes for the first time, and said, "Because I know we are the same." that was one of my favorite lines. Great job!! 100%

Posted 11 Years Ago


C.A. Lucas

11 Years Ago

Thank you! That's my favorite line, too. I appreciated your view and your review
Interesting,

Posted 11 Years Ago


A really good moral to be learned in this story, good job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

C.A. Lucas

11 Years Ago

Aw, thanks :)
Fine writing that fits well into the tradition of writing about animals, a bit Jungle Book, a bit Tolkien. good one..

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

C.A. Lucas

11 Years Ago

Oh, why thank you. I like to hear what readers hear when they read my stuff. Bless you!
I LOVE IT
"Because I know we are the same."
And then Phoenix flew away.
Words of grace, makes me think that in some strange way we all have something in common know it or not. I just found it a joyful read.


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

C.A. Lucas

11 Years Ago

Thank you! I hope you can take this message with you so it may help you. Sometimes that's my whole p.. read more
Time's The Bond

11 Years Ago

Well I think that when someone reads a poem like this one they will get something good out of it the.. read more
C.A. Lucas

11 Years Ago

Yeah, that's a very possible scenario
The title had me curious as to what this was about :)
Very interesting!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

C.A. Lucas

11 Years Ago

Thank you. Yes, a lot of people wondered at the title.
Cute :) easily comparable to a conversation between a rich man and a beggar. The rich can learn much from the poor, simply by listening for once. Nice write. I like the intro :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

C.A. Lucas

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much, it means quite a lot. It's always nice to hear how readers interpret my writing.. read more
Lina Grey

11 Years Ago

My pleasure :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Aly
The title kinda made me curious.
Interesting read.
Interesting how the most kindest person can have sort of the..lowest self esteem in a way. And it also shows two people who appear to be different are not that all different. Nice job

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

C.A. Lucas

11 Years Ago

Thank you. The other review commented on my title as well. While the wolf isn't my favorite animal, .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

890 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 11, 2012
Last Updated on October 14, 2012

Author

C.A. Lucas
C.A. Lucas

My Life, The World As I Perceive It



About
Hello fellow visitor! I welcome you to my WritersCafe profile! If you want to read my writing- stories, poems, maybe a book, then browse and see which title interests you. If you want to know more abo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


OCCUPIED OCCUPIED

A Poem by CHRIS ANDES


Butterfly Butterfly

A Poem by Dan Kim


Listen Listen

A Story by Sophie