THE WINTER TREE

THE WINTER TREE

A Story by CAPOLAVORO
"

This is a short story about a boy and a girl playing hide and seek when it comes to love. The winter tree serves their starting point.

"

THE WINTER TREE

 

"A beautiful night

Sparkling snows I see fly

Winter is pure white"

 

I tried writing a Haiku because I wanted to impress him that I could do something that might interest him. I almost jumped to my surprise when I heard his voice on my back.

 

"What are you writing about idiot?"

 

It is like a sudden intuition when my hands shut the notebook, grasp and secured it on my chest.

 

"N-no nothing. Just nothing" with a fake smile I say.

 

He manages to get it out on my holding and tried to read the messages silently.

He was so serious. 

My mind is running fast.

 

'He might sense the meaning of it.'

'He might already know now that..'

 

"This is the worst Haiku ever.." he silently said.

 

"Yes, I know it is not right but that is what I felt for.. Wait WHAT?!" I confusedly say.

 

He threw the notebook at me with discontent and started walking away slowly saying

 

 "In Japanese poem, writer doesn’t suggest what he wants to say directly. Good haiku makes reader imagine his intention deeply in the reader’s mind."

 

I tried to follow him and walk slowly behind. “But its 5-7-5. That is what Haiku is about. And besides, I thought your favorite season is winter. I just thought you will like it." I extenuate.

 

He stopped walking, turned around and faced me.

Our eyes met as if they are stars being pulled by certain gravity.

His face slowly goes near to my ear. I closed my eyes.

'This is it. This is moment. The time to hear those 3 sweetest words in the galaxy'..

 

"IDIOT!" My ears hurt as he annoyingly shouted those words.

 

"You don't have to shout it you know". I said it as I rubbed my ears because of the hurting feeling.

 

" The sound and rhythm of your Haiku is not smooth and you haven’t experienced a snow before so do not brag about it! Anyways, I will teach you Haiku after our next class then so that you will be contented. For now, I need to go and have a meeting with my club members."

 

He move three steps backward "See you at the winter tree!" and run slowly away from me.

 

"Shinichi wai-" I tried to stop him but it seems he cannot hear me anymore considering the distance.

'Pure white is linked with straight love. I thought you are smart enough to know that. I thought of myself while watching him go away.

 

***



I was waiting in the winter tree for Shinichi as I tried to read some of the writings in my rented history book that someone purposely wrote out. Please go to page 64which is written on page 40. I turned the page and there is a  written sentence saying, I want you to want me to take care of you.

“Hey! What’s up?” Shinichi said as he sits beside me.

“Oh nothing, it’s the strange person who wrote in the History book again. I just wonder who this is.” I said to him and smiled.

“It’s your secret admirer again. You might want to find out who that is. I will help you. Let’s try to see if he is more handsome than me.” He also said with a smile.

I try to pause while looking at his face. As if I was studying every trace of it.

He is Shinichi. We know each other since childhood. He is my neighbor and my best friend.  He is half-Japanese as his father is a Japanese and his mother is a Filipina.

His mother died 10 months ago and he is living alone in their house now. His father is in Japan working and married another woman.

Shinichi is not the average guy. He is smart in all sorts of things from Mathematics to Science and English. He is the president of the debaters club and a member of Mathematics club and Science club.

Rumor has it that the Mathematics and Science members want him to be the president also but he rejected it simply because he does not like too much responsibility to consider.

I am so different from him. I considered myself the queen of all dumb creatures on the planet.

 I am clumsy and hate studying. Shinichi would always tutor me in all subjects.

He always calls me an Idiot. Don’t get me wrong, at first I hate that term but as time passed by I kind of think of it as an endearment.

 He said Idiot could have a different meaning also and not just with no brain idiot. I just do not know if it is true.

We spend most of the time in the winter tree (A name we call to a tree in our school which has white flowers on it and we think of it as snow. He made it because he likes winter and he wants me to experience winter in an imaginative way).

The winter tree is where we always study and talk a lot of things.

Every time we had a chance to talk my attraction to him becomes more and stronger as the wind blew the leaves of the winter tree.

I like him. No, I believe I learned to love him already. But I can’t let him know that. I am afraid the feelings I have for him will ruin everything we have now.

“What are you staring at?” Shinichi’s words caught my attention and that made me feel shy. I did not know I was staring at him for a long time already.

“I-It’s nothing. I just thought your eyes are small. Maybe you could not see anything in that.” I quickly found a lie to say.

He frowned a little.

“Anyways, I was wondering what kind of tree the winter tree is. I tried finding the same images of it’s trunk in the internet but there are a lot of it. Too hard to choose the one you know.” I tried changing the topic.

Idiot, you should start with the flower rather than the trunk. It would be much easier to consider. Take a look closer. It has some white flowers on it. It is a Salingbobog tree. Crateva Religiosa. It looks like a cherry blossom that is why I like it.” He explained.

I looked up into the sight of the Salingbobog tree flowers. It was so beautiful. It is such a perfect creation. It is not hesitant to show its beauty. I hope I could be like this tree. It is strong and very bold.

Wait a minute. I could be like this tree. I look at Shinichi who is looking up in the tree also.

“Shin-ichi. I- I want to tell you something.” I slowly said in the low voice enough for him to hear.

He looked back at me and smiled. “The tree is so beautiful right? Do you want to say something about it?”. He asked.

“No. It is about my feelings. I " I lo-“my statement was cut off by a ringing phone on his pocket.

He took his ringing phone on his pocket and stare at it for a few seconds. He looked very hesitant to answer at first. He then pressed a button on it and answer.

“Moshi Moshi, Nandeshou?” He said in a lifeless tone.

 I got a feeling that he is talking to his father at the moment since he only speaks Japanese on the phone when talking to him. I just couldn’t understand a single word about their conversation.

“Watashi wa soko ni iku ni shitaku arimasen! Watashi wa byōkide wanaidesu, anata ni iimashita!” He yelled on the phone and then turned it off.

 

Shinichi stood up and looked a little bit angry.

 

I stood up as well. “Why, what happened? “ I cannot hide my concerned voice as I never seen him that angry before.

 

“Nothing. Let’s just go home okay.” He told me in a low voice and picked his bag and mine and started walking.

 

Shinichi usually carries my bag when we go home together. I do not know if it is just his way of saying I am weak or he is really concern about me.

 

Shinichi and I usually talk a lot of things when going home. The talk is mostly about his achievements. But today is different. He is so silent and seemed to think silently. He walks a little bit faster than the usual also.

 

Shinichi stopped and said. “Okay we’re here. Here you go” as he handed my bag.

 

I never thought we are in front of our home gate already. Everything was just so fast today. I know he do not want to talk right now so I just get my bag from him and was about to open the gate when he said something.

 

“Hey Idiot. I just want you to know, no matter what happened. Believe in yourself because you are smart okay.” He said.

 

I was surprised. This is the first time in all History he called me smart. Something is wrong. I looked at him and about to say something but he said something that made me stop.

 

“JUST JOKING!! You are always an idiot.” He said it with an evil laugh and turned around.

 

“Whatever. See you tomorrow” I replied with dissatisfaction and went inside.

 

***


I turned around at her as I cry. I do not want to let her see my tears falling. I want to tell you more than I could. I want to tell you everything. Please forgive me if this would cause you pain.You do not know how much I love you. I am the idiotic one. Not you.

 

 

 

***


I woke up in the morning with a lovely smile since I had the nicest dream in the world. I had a dream that Shinichi told me he loves me so much.

 

I do not want to wake up anymore but I need to see the real one.

 

“Shinichi! Shinichi! Shiiniiichiiii!!!” I tried calling a hundred times in his house gate. That’s weird. He is always earlier than me when it is school time. I thought to myself as I try to knock in the house gate.

 

“Are you looking for that young boy in that house?” Nang Sita, the old woman living on next to the house of Shinichi asked me.

 

“Oh Nang Sita. It is you. Yes, did you see him going out in this door?” I asked her.

 

“Yes, he went out in the evening and even told me that if there is a girl that looks like an idiot knocking on his gate. I should tell that he went to Japan already.” Nang Sita said.

I was not able to move hearing Nang Sita’s statement. Knowing Nang Sita, she would never say a joke nor tell a lie.

 

My tears want to fall out in my eyes. I tried not to let it fall. I run so fast. I used my bicycle to get into the school as fast as I can.

 

Why! Why! Why! This word of question keeps running on my mind.

 

As I was in the school already. I run so fast to the debater’s club room. I know who to talk to.

 

“Bryan, I want you to tell me something. I know you and Shinichi are somewhat close. I know him for so long but there might be things that I do not know that maybe you do. Please tell me.” I grabbed Bryan’s arm and poured all the words to him.

 

“W-What are you talking about?” Bryan seemed a little bit surprised on my approach.

 

“Shinichi! He went to Japan without telling me. There is something wrong. I just know it but I couldn’t seem to know.” My tears fall down as I say those words.

 

I was walking towards the winter tree that Shinichi and I named. My mind is so occupied by what Bryan told me. It keeps running to my head.

 

Shinichi, he has Leukemia. I could read Japanese so when I accidentally read the message of his father on his phone when I borrow it I was surprised.

I tried to confront him about it.

He admitted it.

He is suffering from the sickness.

 Every night he said something would hurt in his body.

I told him to go to Japan already and be cured by a doctor before it gets worst.

But he said something, he said…

 

I couldn’t go to Japan yet. There is a girl I need to still have a tutorial with. I want to make her smart as possible. I want to still spend a time with her on a special tree we named as “winter tree”. I love her Bryan. You just couldn’t control your heart sometimes.

 

My knees were trembling. I want to go to the winter tree and hugged it so tight. I was hoping it could give me strength somehow.

It caught me by surprised when I saw the winter tree being cut down.

“Wait! Wait! Why are you cutting the tree! It’s so important! It could be sacred!” I was shouting in the top of my lungs to men at work. I couldn’t bear to take all the emotions already.

“Hey! You! Get out of her! This tree needs to be cut down because there will be a new building in this area.

This tree is not sacred. It couldn’t speak anyway! It has no emotion! It deserves to die!” one of the men working shouted back at me.

The words of the man pierced my heart and put a hole in it that can never be healed.

Cannot speak.

No emotion.

Deserves to die.

“NOOOO!”


***



9 years later.

“Teacher! Teacher! I forgot to pass my paper.” A young boy was running towards me as he called out to get my attention.

“Oh, Steven you are always the late one in passing papers” I told him.

I was walking in the hallway and smiled. I never expected myself to be a teacher in Mathematics.

It might be because of Shinichi. He really is a good tutor.

I never heard from him since 9 years. I do not know what happened. I tried all I could to contact him before but it is no use. I learned to walk by myself now. I hope he is fine wherever he is. He will always be someone to me.

I was trying to find a book in the library when a specific one catches my attention.

This is the one I use to rent. The history book.

I tried to open it again and was surprised when there is a new writing in the last page. ‘Go to page 575’ It says there.

I hurriedly go on to page 575 and saw a topic about a tree. I tried to read it and it is all about the Salingbobog tree. On the down part there is another writing again that says.

If you want to see one of this again.

Go to the school garden.

By the way, sorry for not telling you idiot! This is me.

“Shi-shinichi” my hands are trembling.

 Tears are starting to fall in my eyes and I do not know if I am feeling happy or sad about the thought that he is my secret admirer.

I run so fast towards the school garden. While running I tried wiping my tears. I want to be in my good face to show up if ever he would really be around.

I am in the school garden already. It is so quiet in there. I see many kinds of beautiful flowers but my attention is focused on man in the center holding a small pot.

He smiled at me. His face looks still the same but instead of wearing those usual uniforms we have back then. He now wears a business suit with a red necktie on it which makes him more attractive.

He slowly walks towards me. I can’t help but cry. I felt like the time is stopping for us. I felt like my whole body is motionless and would just want to hug him as tight as I can.

“You- You have a lot to explain to me.” I told him as he touched my face.

“I know. But let us please enjoy the moment for a while. It is Valentine’s day today idiot.” He whisperingly says to me.

“I forgot the meaning of Valentine’s day when you left. Not until now.”

I then hugged him tight.

© 2017 CAPOLAVORO


Author's Note

CAPOLAVORO
What do you think about it? This is my first time to write a short story. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"THE WINTER TREE'
CAPOLAVORO'
An early time of life taking place within a school time experience. I found it refreshing, complex and deep. Many times the focus of attention-love seems heartless and shallow but understanding of his health explains a bit this trait.
I found the desire for learning and improvement by Shishinichi and the girl of his youth to the story's reality to be quite special.
Who does not hope for a happy ending! The red tie, business suit on the one loved in a garden....beautiful and the sweet girl who deserves good.
Blessings,
Kathy

Posted 6 Years Ago


Beautiful theme of the story..nice topic as well..there's no errors or mistake, very well written.

Posted 7 Years Ago


CAPOLAVORO

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much. :)
you are a great story teller,but he needs an attitude adjustment

Posted 7 Years Ago


CAPOLAVORO

7 Years Ago

haha some guys are just like that. Hard on the outside but so soft on the inside. ;)
Let me say it's not a short story it seems a bit long, haha,.....
And this is pretty, I loved it, no errors to point out it's just your theme to appreciate and deserves some admiration....well done...It's beautiful...:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


CAPOLAVORO

7 Years Ago

haha I am inspired by how long Edgar Allan Poe's stories are yet he considered it short. Thank you s.. read more
Surya

7 Years Ago

You are welcome and it's my pleasure...:)
Woah! That's quite something! I really liked the usage of 'idiot' here as an affection because I myself use it lol 😛
This was really really good! You built some nice situations in the story. Very well penned. I enjoyed reading it 😊👍

Posted 7 Years Ago


CAPOLAVORO

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much. Hehe idiot could also sound sweet. :)
Dr. YumnaKay

7 Years Ago

It is sweet 😉
You're welcome! It was a pleasure reading 😊
Oh and the Haiku seems to have six ons in the second line?

Posted 7 Years Ago


CAPOLAVORO

7 Years Ago

Oh! haha yah I did that on purpose because the girl's image is an idiot hehe.
John Alexander McFadyen

7 Years Ago

It worked lol!
Amazingly romantic!!!
So filled with the heartbreak that lover often offers to the meak. Loved the development of the plot and characters. Did find myself mystified about the timing of the message at the end when he happened to be in the garden and also the progress of his illness? But still hopelessly romantic!

Posted 7 Years Ago


CAPOLAVORO

7 Years Ago

Haha oh yeah. Thank you so much for reading it until the end. ;)
You did very well. I liked the many places and story. You kept my interest till the end. Thank you Capolavoro for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


CAPOLAVORO

7 Years Ago

Thank you too and welcome. :)
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I mean amazing story and you are welcome.
What do you think about it? This is my first time to write a short story. :)

Short Story? this is not that short. I think a little big story
i will read it tonight.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 17, 2017
Last Updated on March 16, 2017
Tags: #lovestory, #valentines

Author

CAPOLAVORO
CAPOLAVORO

Cebu, 7, Philippines



About
My life is average. My heart is average. My pulse is average. My mind is average. You might think I am an average girl then? My hopes are supreme My dreams are extreme My writes are creativ.. more..

Writing
TIME TIME

A Poem by CAPOLAVORO



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


As I Sit As I Sit

A Poem by Robert