The Spirit of Devotion

The Spirit of Devotion

A Story by Carrie Montgomery

Untitled- need suggestions!

I took up with the boy first. I knew if I could win his heart, I would win Hers. She smelled of strong spirit, power, and kindness, with just a bit of stubborn cleanliness mingled in. The Boy was endearing. He was scented with kindness, playfulness, mischief, and adventure. He smelled of green grass and sunshine. And most importantly, he had a hint of dirt mingled in with his scent- a few missed baths here and there are perfectly fine with me! Who wants to smell like soap anyway?

'Outside!'� She said with a stern look. The boy looked dejected, but I wagged my tail and bounced around- happy to have a family of my own. I could not wait to go on our first adventure. Where would we go? Garbage cans? Stinky streams? Cat chasing? Or even better...hole digging? What joy! Imagine my surprise when I was plunked non-ceremoniously into a tub of -yuck- clean water! She soaped me up and rinsed me off and there went all the dirt armor I worked so hard to get . How rude. She was going to be a thorn in my side. Dirt hides your scent, hiding your scent makes it easy to sneak up on things, sneaking up on things is F-U-N, and it's my job. She was going to make me the laughing stock around here. I would have to find a spot of stink immediately if the Boy and I were to have any adventures.


All this talk of a name. They think I don't have one. I do have one, even if I can't remember exactly what it is...sounded something like anger and it was loud. That Man always shouted it right before the pain came in my hind quarters. I barely remember him now. THAT family and that life are almost like a distant dream now. Oh, yes, now I remember. It was, 'Damned Mutt!'�
No matter. I have decided the name they chose isn't such an indignity anyway. They will call me 'Lou-Lou Bell'�- quite nice.

The Boy and I managed to convince Her I should sleep in His room. Of course, being so stubbornly clean, she insisted I sleep on the floor on a bed she made of old blankets. Right. I agree. But, as soon as she smells like She is sleeping, I will get right in bed with Him. He needs me. He has nightmares- I smell them on Him. Nasty things. I shall rid Him of them, that's also my job, chasing nightmares. This dwelling seems full of them. I have my work cut out. Well, nothing like a little job security.

Oh, the embarrassment. The humility. She got me a collar. That isn't so bad, a collar, it shows that I Belong. But, this? Oh, how cruel. It is a bright color I don't recognize and it has shiny things on it and a tinkly little badge. How will I be stealthy now? It's over for me. I may as well just curl up here and become lazy and fat...hey, what's that? She is all smiles and there is a loving tone in what She is saying. She seems to like the confounded thing...well, if it helps me get closer to Her heart. Okay, okay, I like it. I just hope no one else sees it, for goodness sake's.

The Boy is in love with me. I know it. He scratches my ears. Rubs my tummy and always seems to know those places that I just can't reach. He also brings scraps to bed at night. A bone or two, carrots, sometimes I even get the milk He didn't finish. He is good to me. She has started to warm to me even more. Just this morning when She peeked in, I hadn't awoke in time to jump into my bed. She said 'naughty girl!'� and just kept walking. She usually says 'get in YOUR bed, fur ball.'�

The Woman cries at night. I would like to go to Her. I know She wouldn't allow it. But She is in terrible fear and She smells unsure of Herself sometimes. Only at night do these smells take over- otherwise Her strong spirit over-scents them. Like I said, She wouldn't allow it. You know, that stubborn cleanliness and something else...Pride? I am not sure. I don't know all the Human emotions. And their reasoning sometimes confuses me. Besides, the Boy needs me so badly- I am afraid to leave Him to His nightmares. They smell of some Old Evil, something rotten, something NEAR.
My hackles raise sometimes. I can't help it. Only Young Ones let themselves be so affected by the scents of Human Dreams, but these are so strong. I fear for my Boy and Woman. What is that smell? It is so familiar, but I cannot place it. It troubles me.

I was worried for nothing. Weeks have passed into months. The months are flying by. The Boy and I are having grand adventures- some not approved of by Her, but wonderful to us! His nightmares have subsided. And She no longer cries at night. I think I have healed Them. I am certain they have healed me. I am in love with Them. They are Mine now and I choose to stay here. When They say my name, it doesn't sound like anger and it is never loud: it sounds like love and kindness and is as soft as the Wind.

I found the Man for Her. It was His scent: warm toast, woody, windy, and a hint of dirt, like the Boy. She took us to the Park and he was there with His dog. I jerked the leash from her hands and ran to Him. I jumped on Him and muddied His pants. She made apologies, but He didn't seem to mind. They have visited each other many times and seem to go together well. I will see if anything comes of it. If His scent changes, I will know what to do.


I caught the Nightmare-scent to night. It was heavy and thick and strong. It wasn't on the Boy, though. It seemed to come from His window. I can't be certain. I feel as though we are being stalked, hunted, snuck up on. But, THIS sneaking up on seems not-so-fun and very Dangerous. I think She feels something, too. She has started checking the windows again and mutters in Her sleep. I will keep watch. Nightmares are not welcome here. I make the throaty, threatening growl- noise in my mouth- just as a warning. I need to stay alert and sleep less soundly, so I will no longer sleep in The Bed with the Boy.

I saw it! The Nightmare. It isn't a nightmare after all it is a MAN. A Bad Man. The Boy saw Him too. He is calling for Her. His voice is shaking and He smells so afraid. She comes running into the room, just in time to see the Bad Man looking in. 'It's Him, it's your Father!'� She hisses. She is almost cat-like in her protective stance. At once, I smell it. This Bad Man has hurt them many times - it is in their pores and filling up my snout with foulness. I smell and taste the bitterness, the angry loudness of The Bad Man. The smell on the Boy and Her is breaking my heart. I won't stand for it. I will stop the Bad Man. Just as He makes His move to break the window, I am there. I am at His ugly sneering face, quick as a flash. The Bad Man swats at me, He misses a few times while I tear and rip and bite and growl. He begins to squeeze my body until it aches, but I will NOT let go. He says my old name 'Damned Mutt'�. I am fading away. Scents are not as strong as they were. But He is fading, too. His hot blood is spilling and I am glad. I fade. Knowing The Boy and The Woman are safe forever. I have done the most important job of all. I will see them again. Of this I am certain. The Creator Man standing beside me smiles and tells me this. He smells of Old Truth, Justice, and a bit of Sadness. I will keep watch with Him until I am needed again.

© 2009 Carrie Montgomery


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
Oh Carrie, this made me cry. I had to step away from this for a couple whiles. I would love to have this precious little pup sleeping on my bed. I would probably name this piece "Devotion," or something along those lines.

I love the point of view you chose to tell this story. What a wonderfully creative write ~ I really don't know much about how to put a story together, but I do know that I read the first line and completely lost myself ~ and that is in the skillful hands of the author. I adored the the Boy and the Woman, and of course, Lou Lou Bell's heart.

Very well, done, Carrie. You have a wonderful talent. I look forward to reading more of your work!

j

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Jay
Nice story Carrie. How about "Smelling the Fear". Hope you find your title, I know how frustrating that is.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

From a dog lover---this is great

Title sugestion: The Scent of Life

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
Oh Carrie, this made me cry. I had to step away from this for a couple whiles. I would love to have this precious little pup sleeping on my bed. I would probably name this piece "Devotion," or something along those lines.

I love the point of view you chose to tell this story. What a wonderfully creative write ~ I really don't know much about how to put a story together, but I do know that I read the first line and completely lost myself ~ and that is in the skillful hands of the author. I adored the the Boy and the Woman, and of course, Lou Lou Bell's heart.

Very well, done, Carrie. You have a wonderful talent. I look forward to reading more of your work!

j

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The first thing I thought of as I was reading this was "Homeward Bound" since the animals talked...Remember Sassy, Chance and ??? Can't remember the golden retriever's name.

I'm not sure about the title, Carrie? Could you entitle it "Lou-Lou Bell" since that is her name??

I enjoyed this. I like the whole thing about the nightmares. This was uniquely done and kept my interest all the way through. Very endearing, especially in regards to her protective nature over the boy.

Is this your family pet?? A fun write, I am sure. Great job!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 12, 2008
Last Updated on March 1, 2009

Author

Carrie Montgomery
Carrie Montgomery

KY



About
About Me I am a mother of 2. A 13 yr old and a 1 yr old.. happily married -depending what day it is!;) ~Self-Portrait~ tow-headed in summer's sun ;dirty-blonde in winter's chill.Eyes of green, w.. more..

Writing