SEED OF SUSPICION

SEED OF SUSPICION

A Story by Christopher Bacon
"

Is your wife cheating on you? How are you so sure that she is not? What if she is, what will you do about it? This man, with the seed of suspicion planted in his head, will attempt to catch his wife.

"

“323-555-1759″
Who was the owner of this phone number? I’d often question that when looking through the call activity from my phone bills. There were more outgoing calls to that number than any other on the list, and the calls weren’t made from my phone, they were all coming from the second line linked to the account, that being my wife’s personal cell phone line.

I first saw the mysterious number four months ago, just after my wife and I had talked things out and decided to live together once again. We had been separated for two months after what we thought was the downward spiral that would result in an ugly divorce. It got to the point where we couldn’t stand being in the same house together, so I would pull overtime at work any chance I got, and she would either spend the evening dining at the Olive Garden, or window shopping with her family out of town. Hmph, The main reason we moved further out was to get away from them.

Eventually, we agreed to separate and work out personal issues in our own separate fashion. I didn’t do much but see a shrink and go to a couple of anger management group sessions held at the local church every Thursday evening, but I’ll tell ya this, the secret to improving and maintaining a healthy relationship is to see other couples that are going through issues just as fucked-up as yours. It’ll remind you that your issues aren’t that bad. Anyways,

Time went by, and we met, talked it all out and got the relationship ball rolling again. There was a magic to it that we did not have before the breakup. We both came back to this thing with a different approach and mindset. Not only did I now know how to handle her issues, but I was also able recognized what I was doing that would trigger her and cause an issue. We had improved, and so too did our marriage. Everything was all good, that is until I started seeing that mysterious number pop up on the phone bills. So again, I ask, who is the owner of this number?

I first thought to ask my wife, being as though the calls were made from her phone, but I did not want to create an issue, besides, things were going so well, I didn’t want any problems that would bring us back to that miserable state we had been in for so long. I never told her, and I never admitted to receiving detailed copies of our phone bills. She never knew that I could see a call list, so I didn’t want her to change anything from her knowing that I had them. It still didn’t answer my question, and no one would be able to tell me but her. I had to think of another strategy.

The worst and best thing you could ever do when in a relationship is tell your best buddies and ask them for advice on how you should handle the situation. It can go either ways, and I wasn’t sure what to make of the advice I was given from my best friend and former college roommate. Jay had recently got out of a four year marriage, and had been a game player ever since. For a man who sleeps with different women every night, I wasn’t sure if he’d be able to give me the best advice, but it was worth a shot. I mean, I never really thought that my wife could possibly be cheating on me.

I did everything exactly how Jay laid it out for me, packing a gym bag and scheduling an all-day visit to a spa and fitness center out of town. My wife believed it, as I used to frequently hit the gym a year ago. She had no problems with me going, and planned to entertain herself by catching up on her favorite televisions shows that laid waiting for her on the DVR device. She showed more than enough in my trip when she inquired just how long I would be gone for the day. I told her that I wouldn’t be back until seven that evening, and it was eleven in the morning when I had left out the door. Everything was planned out perfect, and yes, there would be a Sean Sanders reportedly seen at the gym, but it wouldn’t be me. You see, my buddy Jay had always wanted to check out that gym, and this plan gave him an excuse to do so, going using my name, Sean Sanders, just in case my wife tried to call the facility to confirm my presence.

Where was I? Well, I had taken shelter in the tool-shed just out back, A place where I knew she would never open to search through. Hell, I could kill her mother and hide the body back there, and she would never once think to check in the tool-shed. It was the perfect hiding spot. All I had to do was sit and wait for something to happen, but how would I know? Well, thanks to technology and the fee of just three extra bucks added onto my phone bill, I was able to get access to real-time phone calls that would be made on both phones that were linked to the account, and sure enough, A call was made to that number.A five minute long conversation. Hmm, maybe Jay was right about this whole cheating thing after all. Though I was able to go through with the plan, and it did seem as if my wife was doing something behind my back, I never thought of what I would do if actually had been seeing another man. Hmm.

I cracked the tool-shed door open slightly to notice a car pull into the driveway. It was a black Cadillac CTS that looked as if it had just came off of the showroom floor. Whoever the mystery guy was, he was definitely loaded. I couldn’t get a good look at the driver, but I heard the front door of my home open and close. Suddenly, I began to feel a rush travel throughout my body. I stood still to take in what was happening. My saliva seemed to have become salty somehow, and my eyes felt as if they were going to pop out of the sockets. I balled my hands into a fist and locked my teeth together until the muscles in my jaw showed on my face. My wife had been cheating on me with some other man, and in just a few minutes, I was going to walk into my home and bash the m**********r’s head in, without a care in the world of what could be the consequences for killing someone.

I stepped out slowly with a mallet in hand. My thoughts were racing, trying to think of what this guy would look like, and what would make my wife throw six years of marriage down the f*****g toilet for some guy with a fancy car. Maybe it was the car, or maybe the m**********r made a s**t-ton of money, and she seen that as her meal ticket to the glamorous life she always dreamed of having. I never thought my wife would be the type to do such a thing, I mean, We often had talks about it, and we both showed disgust at the concept. Why cheat on someone when you could just be honest that things aren’t working out, and you’d much rather see someone else. I believe it’s best to talk to the partner and end things before engaging in anything intimate with someone else, and she believed in that also, so why was I involved in the situation, carrying a mallet into my home to break a man’s skull for f*****g my wife?

With those negative thoughts plaguing my mind, I stepped into the living room and noticed nothing, which means they went straight to our bedroom. At that point, I lost all respect and love for my wife. After all that we’ve been through, I don’t understand how it’s so easy for her to take another man into our personal space and give herself to him on the bed we both sleep in. It made my blood boil and veins push onto my skin. I was sweating profusely, frightened by the brutally violent acts I was about to commit, but also anticipating how it would play out before doing so. Would she be on top of him, or would he be over top of her, as she calls his name in absolute ecstasy and satisfaction. This is what six years of marriage had come to, and if it were going to end, I would be the one to lay the hammer down.

I turned the corner and stepped into the room with the mallet raised high, waiting to strike anyone that stepped forward. The sweat poured down my face with saliva escaping the side of my mouth. I exhaled heavily while looking into the room at the scene. Those dark negative thoughts began to burn away to ashes. My wife quickly stood from sitting on the end of the bed, both shocked and extremely frightened to have seen me standing there, holding that weapon with intentions of killing someone. I looked over to the person seated in one of our bedroom chairs. My wife introduced me to her female therapist.

© 2012 Christopher Bacon


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Christopher Bacon
Just some of my freestyle writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

314 Views
Added on September 1, 2012
Last Updated on September 1, 2012
Tags: cheating, infidelity, cheating spouse, stories about cheating, cheated on me, unfaithful, marraige, cheat

Author

Christopher Bacon
Christopher Bacon

Washington, DC



About
Fiction writer, screenwriter, director, film editor and part-time cynical b*****d. I enjoy reading, experimental and stream of consciousness writing, collaborating with other unpublished writers fo.. more..

Writing