Understanding Wicca

Understanding Wicca

A Chapter by Celeste Lucy Zaveri

There is no officially becoming a Witch, but before it becomes “official,” you must learn to understand Wicca and Paganism, and what part of it rings true to you. This is very important because you’ll have a tainted Wicca if you’re untaught. It’s best to be safe than sorry, as the saying goes.

WICCAN TERMS
We’ll try to keep this little glossary of Wiccan terms neat and organized, but it won’t be fully in alphabetical order. We’ll try, however, to keep the first letter in a word neatly with its “cousins,” or “friends.”
You can Google, “Wiccan words,” “Pagan terms,” and the like if you wish for more than this book can offer. But give us a try first.
A
Afterlife - another term for Spirit World, which Wiccans call Summerland. Although, I don’t believe it to be Summerland, for spring and autumn and Winter are still honorable, existent seasons too. This is why it is your choice what you call the afterlife, but I will be calling it the Spirit World here on now, for this is what I’ve grown up calling it.
Afterworld - see afterlife.
Air signs - in Wicca and Paganism, zodiac signs and astrology are very important. See the chapter Zodiac Signs for more. The first air sign, and most important of all, is Libra. (Understand that Virgo, an earth sign, is the most important zodiac sign in Wicca, for it resembles the moon goddess.) Gemini and Aquarius are also air signs. If you’re a Gemini, Aquarius, or Libra, then you’re an air sign. You might want to choose an air-based Witch name. Note that Witch means male or female, but this is the woman’s guide, so I’d say females in this book.
Air - one of the four magickal elements. I feel it’s the least important aside from fire, but of course all elements are equal. In earth-based religions, such as Wicca and Paganism, earth may be the second most important element. Ether, or spirit, is the most important, superior to the others. Choose which element is your “patron” element. Mine are earth and ether. If you need to resemble air in your altar (see Pagan Products) you could use a feather, or something related to flying or air.
Akasha - the fifth element that cowans, or non-Wiccans, no nothing about usually. But of course, they could know about it. But Wicca’s the only religion that practices it a lot. Akasha is ether, or spirit. (See Ether for more.)
Altar - a, says silverlotus.net, ‘table or flat surface used during rituals to hold ritual tools, books, etc.’
Amulet - a, according to Silverlotus, ‘magickal charged item, often worn around the neck for protection.’ I have an amethyst amulet to increase my psychic powers, and to protect me from the rare evil spirits.
Animism - says Silverlotus, ‘the spiritual belief that everything in nature, animate and inanimate, possesses a soul.’
**
We’ll be using silverlotus.net in the following. I give Silverlotus all the credit, for we’re using her exact words. For copyright’s sake, we credit Silverlotus.
Ankh " Ancient Egyptian symbol representing life and rebirth; similar to, but not the same as crux ansata.
Aquarius - the eleventh sign of the zodiac, ruling from January 21 " February 19; and Air sign ruled by the planet Uranus
Aradia (air-a-dee-a) - Italian goddess, claimed to be Queen of Witches by some Wiccans
Aries - the first sign of the zodiac, ruling from March 21 - April 20; a Fire sign ruled by the planet Mars
Asatru - Norse Reconstructionism
astral body - representation of person or things found in astral plane
astral plane - a kind of dimension composed of energy
astral projection - an out-of-body experience usually induced through trance
athame - small, double-edged ritual dagger, usually black-handled; used to draw Circles and direct energy
aura - an energy field surrounding all living things
You can go here for more: http://silverlotus.net/wicca/glossary-of-wiccan-pagan-terms/
THE EIGHT SABBATS
A Sabbat, or Wiccan sacred holiday, could be upcoming. You’ll need to practice your rituals, parties, celebrations, and make cards and send little straight-from-the-heart gifts. So you’ll need to know all of the Sabbats to prepare.
YULE
Yule is around or at the timing of the twenty-first day of December. Oh my goddess! How do I juggle the expense and cost of Christmas and Winter Solstice (Yule) gifts?
Well, that’s what Wicca’s about: giving gifts from the heart. It can be homemade, or rather cheap but still a good present, for others that you choose to give.
Grand Yule traditions are decorating a tree (good thing you’re having your Christmas tree, on this day the Yule tree, for celebrating, this is where the tradition of a Christmas tree comes from), giving presents, and lighting Yule logs. That’s what firewood’s for.
Giving offerings of myrrh, pine, and cinnamon holly to the gods and goddesses, are great. Making homemade cards for the deities, and for your friends and family, is a grand idea.
And say, “Blessed Yule!” to every Wiccan and Pagan Witch you see. Cowans mayn’t understand, but I can’t stop you from trying.
Romans called this day Saturnalia, and some call it Winter Solstice. The name’s for you to pick, but we’ll be calling it Yule here.
“This is the solstice, which means the point in the year where the day/night length is at its peak,” says www.free-witchcraft-spells.com, “for Yule, it means that this is the shortest day and longest night of the year (the date shifts from the 20th to the 22nd each year). From this day onward, sunlight begins to return as the days start to lengthen again and we celebrate the symbolic rebirth of the Sun God. The holiday of Yule was celebrated long before Christians adopted the date for their own holiday. Many of the modern Christmas traditions we see today stem from these old Pagan customs from around the world.”
IMBOLC
On February second, this is also called Brigid’s Day or Candlemas, but we’ll be calling it Imbolc here, if you don’t mind. But what you’ll call it, as with all the other Sabbats, is completely and fully your choice.
www.free-witchcraft-spells.com says, “Imbolc is a day to celebrate the first signs of a new Spring, and it is also dedicated to the Celtic Goddess Brigid. Non-Pagans celebrate today as Groundhog Day, which is also related to seeing spring weather coming. Make some new starts in your life, as you give your home a thorough cleaning for the year.”
Make a bed for Brigid, clean up your house (ever heard of spring cleaning, and its origin?), and burning fires are grand traditions, as long as they’re safe and fun.
Giving offerings, especially to Brigid, should be rosemary, milk (especially when fresh), carnations, and chamomiles. Remember to give cards, small presents, and say “Blessed Imbolc!” to your family and friends.
OSTARA
Also called the Spring Equinox and Lady Day, Free-Witchcraft-Spells says of it, “This is another Pagan holiday that has been overlaid with Christian meanings ( in this case, Easter). Eggs and bunnies are traditional symbols, representing new birth and new life. Plant the seeds of long-term goals on this day for extra success. Like with Yule, the date shifts and can be from the 20th to the 22nd. As an equinox, it means that the day and night on this day are the same length.”
Also, color eggs, cook eggs, if you can, and decorate with fresh, beautiful flowers. Today’s a springtime, Easter-like event. Give cards, tiny presents, and say “Blessed Ostara!” to your grand friends and family.
Then give wildflowers, daffodils, and jasmine to the gods and goddesses of your choice. Remember, it’s unknown if there’s one Goddess and one god, or many gods and many goddesses. Your belief’s up to you, as always. Do rituals and spells that blossom and attract new things and beginnings. Have fun, it’s the vernal equinox!
BELTANE
This holiday’s on the first day of May. It’s also called May Day and Walpurgis Night, but I’ll be calling it Beltane.
Free-Witchcraft-Spells says of its symbolic meanings, “The God reborn at Yule is now a man, and the sacred union between God and Goddess is consummated at this time of the year. Beltane is a celebration of fertility, growth, love and sexuality. However you personally celebrate Beltane, do it with joy and happiness.”
Dance around a May Pole, light outdoor bonfires, and give vanillas, lilacs, and roses to the gods and goddesses.
Give cards and little gifts, and say “Blessed Beltane!” as you celebrate the Goddess’s and god’s wedding. This is the best time for handfastings, or Wiccan weddings.
LITHA
Says Free-Witchcraft-Spells, “Midsummer is the other solstice on the calendar and its the longest day of the year, usually on the 21st but it varies slightly as the other astronomical holidays do. The strength of the Sun God begins to wane as the days get shorter from now on. The Goddess has left her Maiden form of Imbolc and is now in her Mothering aspect. Refill your herb collection for the coming year on Litha for the most potent herbs.”
Collecting herbs, flowers, stones, and using Fae (or fairy) magick is a good idea. Bringing lemons, honeysuckles, vervains, and oranges to the deities (gods and goddesses) is also a wise plan.
Say “Blessed Litha,” make cards, and give presents, as with all other Sabbats. Remember, love and friendship’s the true meaning of Litha magick!
LUGHNASADH
Free-Witchcraft-Spells says, “This is first of the three annual harvest festivals, and much of the symbolism for Lammas revolves around freshly harvested grains and bread. Sacrifices were common, though mostly symbolic, in order to ensure the continued success of the harvest through the next 2 holidays.”
Eat and bake bread, make cornhusk dolls like the Native Americans did, and give corn, squash, sandalwood, and berries to the deities. Say “Blessed Lughnasadh,” and do what you do with every Sabbat.
MABON
“Day and night are equal again on this equinox, and the weather is growing colder as winter approaches,” Free-Witchcraft-Spells says. “This is the second harvest festival of the year. Rituals of thanks at this time have brought about the modern holidays of Thanksgiving. Take some time to think about what you are thankful for on the next Mabon, even if you are not eating turkey.”
Make and drink holy, blessed wine, but don’t have a dangerously big amount, and try giving to the poor and homeless if possible. Gives blackberries, patchouli, cedar, grapes, and blueberries to the deities. Eat some for yourself! This is on September twenty-first.
SAMHAIN
This is on Halloween. And Free-Witchcraft-Spells says of it, “Samhain is the one Sabbat that is also widely celebrated among non-Pagans as Halloween. The god has died on this day, and the Goddess mourns him until he is reborn again at Yule. This brings on the darker phase of the year. It's the last harvest festival, and the end of the Wiccan year.” Of course, there isn’t any death, but it’s symbolic.
Dress in witch, deity, and other magickal costumes, make jack o’ lanterns, use divination, remember the dead, and bring pumpkins, sage, mugwort, apples, and candies to the deities.


© 2016 Celeste Lucy Zaveri


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was interesting. Thank you! I've always wanted to know more about Witchcraft, especially Wicca.


Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

340 Views
1 Review
Added on September 7, 2016
Last Updated on September 7, 2016


Author

Celeste Lucy Zaveri
Celeste Lucy Zaveri

Germantown, MD



About
I've written "The Immortal Legacy" on widbook.com and I love writing online. I'm also a psychic and I support the Democratic side in every election. I sometimes write nonfiction and poetry, but mostly.. more..

Writing
April April

A Chapter by Celeste Lucy Zaveri