From Within the Grip

From Within the Grip

A Story by CaffeinatedMe
"

How the influence of addiction(demons) eventually led to one tragic night, changing the life of 5 people, including my best friend of 15 years now in prison.

"
A demon knocks on your door, a demon you will soon know very well
The door left unanswered, nothing but time, for you this demon will wait.
You promised yourself, just enough to quench your curiosity's thirst.
That's all this demon needs, claws dig in deep, this now is a familiar grip.
A battle begins, your soul the prize.  Slowly your moral compass fades
Your spark quickly started to dim, I'm so sorry, I should have known.
Your true self, slowly begging to shatter, brittle, almost broken.
The reflection in the mirror staring back at you, empty, unfamiliar.
You recognize a slight glimpse of yourself, still fighting but fading.
Mind weary from a battle you're unsure if it's worth fighting.
Damage, self-inflicted, cursed by addiction, stuck at square one.
Asked to do something out of character, your demon sees opportunity.
The unthinkable happens, tragedy occurs, a friend lay dead, panic begins.
Penance for all involved, being punished from the sins of others.
Your life now contained, confined  by walls poorly painted.
A mind stuck on a tragic night's replay, a broken record stuck forever repeating.
Tormented, plea's unrequited, untapped potential, being smothered.
Now your demon, cast aside, exiled forever. 
The scars of an emotional battle forever remembered.
As long as it may be, forever it may seem, let's not forget your hell, is a trip that will eventually end.

© 2017 CaffeinatedMe


Author's Note

CaffeinatedMe
This was a draft now on a 3rd re-write, its starting to feel as I intended. Im sure many re-writes are to follow. I am concerned with the flow as, to me it seems to flow great and in certain parts the flow is interrupted. If you have any insights on improving the overall flow with out compromising content let e know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is really good!!!! i loved it

Posted 7 Years Ago


I'm glad that you mentioned it being a third draft because for me that's what it felt like, a draft. I think that you have more work to do here but what's great about it is that not only is this based on a true story but the story is riveting. It's a solid foundation for a soon to be fabulous piece. I think that in some places you missed the opportunity to use that poetic flair of yours (in places it felt like a report) and in other places you shined. Try breaking the phrasing down and try not to be too literal. Try taking one of your sentences/lines that feels literal and find an artistic way to both shorten said sentence but still say the same thing. You are a super bright guy and I know for a fact that you get what I'm trying to say here. Go ahead and send me read requests as it developers.
But honestly, I think your already on the right track, you just need to refine it.

I still thought it was great.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

272 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 22, 2016
Last Updated on September 2, 2017
Tags: Friend, Prison, Addiction, punishment

Author

CaffeinatedMe
CaffeinatedMe

Phoenix, AZ



About
Repetitive under-achieving isn't something I seek out, its what happens everytime I do something and in retrospect realize my untapped brilliance. Join me on this brilliance untapping journey, I do a.. more..

Writing