Mortuus Fabula - Rewrite - Chapter 1

Mortuus Fabula - Rewrite - Chapter 1

A Story by Calamity
"

Faith is a witch who somehow ends up traveling to a different world called, "Fearie", one where mythical creatures, fairy tales, and religious mythology exist

"

Mortuus Fabula:

Universe 1

 

Faith

 

Prologue:

 

                You know that feeling, when you’re walking around in a crowd, but you’re really alone in your own world? Maybe it’s human nature, that eventually everyone wants to escape through a rabbit hole…pulled in by hands of fate…to our own Wonderland…deeper…

 

…deeper…

 

…taking a leap of faith through darkness, hoping for light, but sometimes, we forget.

 

We forget that hope doesn’t always mean we deserve a happy ending.

****

“And what do you think you are doing?” A faded voice; a flashlight in the depth of darkness.

KekekeA choking whisper, the manifestation of what goes bump in the night, in spoken word, “Who’s asking?”

“Someone capable of turning that grin upside down.” No faces to fit the voices, eyes behind curtains that cannot pull open.

You lie…” Hesitation, “…What’s it to you?

“While I assure you, I do not lie, might I remind you who are in charge and what HE will do if he finds out you have eaten something HE wants…” Authoritarian in this; somebody important.

Kekeke. I’m the one who found her.” A pause again, whispers are a passive aggressive form of doubt.

Long silence.  The show must still be going on, as the swirling of the surrounding darkness ensues.

You lie…I eat her.

“But did you think to ask what brought her here?”

Kekeke………you don’t lie?”

“Maybe eat later……”

The sound of howling winds and shifting shadows as a final whisper echoes, “Laterrrrrrr…”

Once again, a silence, but it is one of comfort, as light begins to peer through those curtains. Cold air dissipates in favor of the warmth that belongs to that light. No choking whispers, no harsh swirling whispers of the dark, or the feeling of endless falling. Everything is still, stuck in time, but nothing can stay perfect.

“Good, easier than I thought.” That voice.

“Now then, we’re waiting for you.”

Consciousness lunging forward, the curtains will soon lift, and her show is to continue…or maybe begin.

“…I’m sorry…”

Darkness is a shroud in the story of Fearie. It is a welcomed veil on the hideous nature of secrets that lurk in every corner. Whether you believe in fate or not, one cannot look at the circumstances of Fearie’s downfall without thinking of one girl. This girl, brought in by the darkness, only to shine a light and start a wildfire of pain and burning truth would become so much more than a stranger from another world. Faith by nature, Faith by name, this is her story.

 

Chapter 1

That strange world, those strange smells, all of it just a dream filled with the tales of bed time. This was a world unusual but almost too similar. Bazaars were everywhere in the square, open stands selling foods, clothing, and small trinkets. Besides the usual smells of creatures with pointy ears or large protruding teeth of all heights, color, and body shapes, the smells of the foods were tantalizing. This land had amazing food.

Perhaps, Faith was a bit distracted by it again as she stared once more at the loaves of bread she always managed to pass by. Once again, she found herself in the marketplace and by now she had become familiar with its charms. The market men never noticed her getting just inches away from the food. No, she wasn’t going to steal it. She felt morally above that. No, she was pondering whether food had the same effects in a dream to one’s body.

She had been here many times by now. Sometimes, it felt like heaven, and other times a fantasy. However, it was an escape; one that had none of what her own world brought her in regards to pain. This world was foreign but even more like home that she could ever hope for. Nobody noticed her or tried to talk to her.

Except now, she clearly felt she was being watched. Looking up, the merchants were still pre-occupied in their current affairs. She looked around, but not finding anyone looking her way, she decided to continue about her business. She bought that savory bread and walked away from the square far into the fields on the outskirt of town. The town was in the center of many wheat fields and was called Bannock. It wasn’t a huge town and not even close to the size of its neighboring city Cor, which was hours away by way of walking. However, Bannock had its charms. It was fairly vast, so while there was hospitality by its occupants, they were never nosey or familiar with the business of others. Rumors and talk were not big in Bannock. It was a town for workers and families.

Faith sat down at the edge of the field just south of town, nibbling on her recent purchase, thinking about nothing. She loved to stare at the houses from a distance. They weren’t extraordinary but they were modest and cute, just farm houses, all antiquated. They were spaced out by acres of land and acres of wheat, this far out. Sometimes Faith liked to imagine living in such isolation.

“Charming, is it not?” A lovely voice startles Faith and she turns around, having to move her hood up out of her eyes to see who had invaded her moment of tranquility.

The woman was a sight of typical beauty. Long chestnut hair, reaching past her waist, framed her face. She had ice blue eyes that shone with admiration for the farmhouses. A small mole rested above her upper lip in the right corner. Her clothes were simple, a white button up blouse and a baby blue strapped dress over it. She, as so many before her, looked like a fabled character in one of the many books Faith raised herself on.

Faith stopped staring and pretended to ignore the lady, nibbling into her bread and once again taking in the scenery.

“You know, there’s word going around of a vagrant walking around Bannock and its surrounding areas. She’s known to wear a long ratty robe. No one has been courageous enough to ask her for a name, but they say she will do any task for small compensation. They even say there are times this vagrant has performed truly heroic acts.”

Faith continued her disinterest. However, she tugged her hood further over her face in shame over having her beloved robe be called, “ratty”.

“I was hoping to find this woman, as I have a task and a reward for her if interested.” Faith feels a hand on her shoulder as the woman whispers in her ear, “A reward big enough to make a witch into a queen.”

Faith leapt away from the woman, turned around and shouted, “Maneo!”

Just like that, the woman was frozen in place, her eyes moving around frantically.

Looking down towards the ground, Faith is no longer silent, “I’m not interested. I only help those desperately in need and you do not seem desperate in need. I was in the middle of my lunch and you have interrupted my routine. Never touch me, for your own good. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to buy a new piece of bread before my time runs out.”

Faith starts to walk away when a noise emanates from the woman’s mouth.

“Vox” Faith speaks and suddenly the woman’s lips could move again.

“If you help out with this, I could get you the information needed to stay in Fearie.” Faith turns around and faces the woman, “That’s what you want, right? I had heard how you often disappear from this world on a whim, as if you were pulled. Whatever you’re running from, you could permanently escape it. Please.”

Still frozen, the woman puts calmness in her voice, “My name is Belle, and while I am not in DESPERATE need of you, I AM in need of your help.”

Faith stared for what felt like an hour when she finally blinks, “Ludere.”

Belle, having fallen to her hands and knees, smiled, “You can find us in Rivlet, a cottage on the cape of Aria.”

With that, the fabled vagrant disappeared.

 

 

“I don’t get it. You want a total stranger to help us do something that you said YOU have to do?” A bespectacled man asks Belle, arms crossed, sitting in a chair.

Inside that cottage were five people, including Belle. The man in round glasses wearing a lab coat over a dress shirt and slacks, a scary thin and dainty girl with long blonde hair and dark circles under her eyes, a guy dressed in a sporty jacket and a silly frog faced hat, and a tall mysterious looking Asian woman dressed in more gold than most Fearians could afford; all of whom sitting and standing around a round wooden table, papers piled high.

“I’m not forcing you to help me.” Belle smiles.

“We want to help you, though.” The guy with the frog hat chimes in and looks at the man in glasses, “I’m sure Belle knows what she is doing.”

“Well, is she ever coming?” The man in glasses sighs.

“I’m sure she will,” Belle looks at a clock above the front door, “Besides, when you meet her, you’re going to love her.”

The Asian woman closes her eyes and smiles, “So, where is Jax? I was under the impression that he was going to be here as well.”

Belle looks to the ground, “He’s not coming.”

Everything is quiet for a while. The tension in the room is suffocating. Belle hated when the group brought him up. She considers that perhaps the stranger known as Faith would not show until she hears a faint knock. Everybody else in the room seems to tense up as Belle runs to the door and opens it.

“Hello!” She exclaims as the stranger in a robe comes in, “Please, feel free to take off your robe. You are amongst friends now.”

Faith looks up slightly, underneath her hood, to scan the room when she pulls down her hood, “Barnabas?”

The guy in the frog hat looks up in shock, “Faith?!”

Suddenly Faith runs across the room and tackles Barnabas, otherwise known as Barney to his friends. They’re both smiles as he embraces her back.

“I’m confused.” The man in glasses stares.

Barney looks up at the others and lets go of Faith, “This is Faith, she’s a friend of mine. Helped me out at a really rough point of my life. Belle, this is the stranger you invited?”

Belle smiles, “Yep. That is her.”

“I get it now.” He smiles as he looks at Faith, holding her hand.

“Well, the rest of us don’t…so, if you wouldn’t mind, someone please explain what is going on.” The bespectacled man interrupts.

“Would love to,” Belle responds, “Faith is a notorious entity here in Fearie. She helps distressed Fearians and creatures, with many praising her and even rumors of top clans looking to recruit her. If the rumors are true, she is a high powered witch and from what I’ve experienced, there has to be some truth to it.”

“Parlor tricks.” Faith mumbles but is suddenly overwhelmed by the man in glasses now inches away from her face, examining her, looking up and down.

“Are you really a witch?” He asks.

Faith stammers, “I..I...don’t know. That’s just what they always call me.”

“Nah, it’s true.” Barney kisses Faith’s hand and Faith blushes, “She’s really a witch.”

The man in glasses smiles and holds out his hand, “Well then, where are my manners? My name is Holmes.”

Faith doesn’t shake his hand but merely nods, pulling her hand away from Barney, “It’s nice to meet you.”

“Another witch? Ursula! A new student!” The blonde excitedly looks over at Faith and then to the well-dressed woman in gold, then back to Faith, “Hi, my name is Alice.”

“And over there, that’s Ursula.” Belle interrupts, “Faith, I’m really glad you came. We have a lot to go over and..”

Suddenly there’s another knock. Everyone looks around. Belle walks towards the door, but a little more cautiously, looking out the window first.

“Oh,” she says, as she opens the door, “It’s just you.”

She sighs and walks in, “Guys, it’s just Jax.”

A tall man with dark brown hair and goatee walks in and suddenly Faith is distracted and caught off guard by the huge goat like horns and ears protruding from his head. His dark chestnut eyes focus on her as he unbuttons his awkward frilly dress shirt.

“Thanks Belle, how classic of you.” Jax smiles sarcastically at Belle, “Would you mind helping me out of this?”

Belle begins tugging on the sleeve to help the man get out of that uncomfortable shirt, “Who bribed you into getting into this?”

“I don’t even want to talk about it. Diplomats; that is all I have to say.”

They get the uncomfortable shirt off to reveal a plain sleeveless shirt. Faith is still staring at him, mesmerized. He turns around to face her and eyes her up and down, angrily.

“Can I help you?” He asks impatiently, staring back intensely.

“Jax, this is Faith. She’s here to help us out.” Belle interrupts.

“We don’t need any more help. We already have four useless bodies of help we call friends.”

“HEY!” Holmes barks.

Belle closes her eyes in frustration and begins to say something when Faith chimes in, “Are those real?”

She points to Jax’s horns and his jaw drops as he is struck with confusion. He stares at her for a minute before replying, “Does it look like I’m wearing them for decoration?”

“Do you like them?”

“Would you like having two foot horns protruding from your head? Sleeping is a real treat.” He quips.

“Then why not use magic to hide or rid yourself of them?” Faith looks at him sincerely.

Ursula erupts in a boisterous laugh and Jax’s brow furrows in anger.

“You don’t even know me and you’re making fun of me?!”

“I would think she gets the gist of who you are.” Barney mutters.

Faith’s face glows red as she blushes, “Oh no! I’m not making fun of you.”

“What?!” Everybody in the room exclaims.

“I think they’re beautiful.” She walks up to him and looks closer, “I’ve never seen anything like them or like you. You’re beautiful.”

Now Jax is the one blushing, as he backs up. Belle smiles, knowing that that was the first compliment Jax has ever received. The room falls once again silence before everyone but Jax and Faith bursts into laughter. Faith continues to stare at him. Jax starts to feel uncomfortable but then attempts to change the topic.

He turns to Belle, “Well, are you going to explain your plans?”

Belle stops laughing as she begins to remember, “Oh yeah! Faith.  Jax.  Would you please take a seat?”

Both of them seat themselves on opposite ends of the table in the main living space. Faith looks around, trying to figure out whose cabin it was. It was quaint, yet kind of cold. There were no pictures on the walls and the walls were plain white with no trim. The window sills were a deep chocolate brown but otherwise also very plain, one next to the door, to the left of the table and another one on the opposite wall of where the table was. The next room, as Faith could see, was a kitchen, not too far away from the table. There was a bar separating them from the kitchen, with a doorway to the right of it. This was certainly not Belle’s home.

“Faith, do you know of the organization known as O.N.E?” Belle asks.

Faith is no longer entranced in her surroundings, “Nope.”

“What?!” How is that possible?” Jax exclaims.

“Faith isn’t naturally from this world.” Barney explains.

“Huh?”

“Think of it like a summer camp, Faith often has limited time here in Fearie. A lot of times she just appears and disappears randomly. I think you said it’s like being, ‘teleported’?” He turns to Faith.

Faith nods and looks away towards the window, “Kind of. It’s more like being physically ripped into and out of here, like a kid playing with Velcro.”

“How do you know this?” Jax asks Barney.

“They’re well acquainted in a way I’m sure he’ll later explain to me.” Belle interrupts and focuses back on Faith, “Well, to explain, O.N.E is a pseudo governing organization here in Fearie. They are not necessarily the decided ruling factor but have put it on themselves to act as such over all of Fearie. Their name stands for the Order of Necessary Enforcement. They establish laws and enforcement over the civilians, creatures, and even witches of Fearie. More so lately, they have taken it upon themselves to detain and punish witches at an alarming rate. I’m actually surprised for someone as notorious as yourself; you’re not on their radar.”

“It could be because of her temporary conditions here.” Holmes points out.

“I suppose you could be right.” Belle nods, “Anyways, we have been asked by a witch, recently, to rescue her significant other from false imprisonment at O.N.E. headquarters.”

“Ain’t my business if some witch gets captured by them.” Jax crosses his arms.

“Typically, I would agree with you, except, this person’s not a witch. They’re a creature.”

“What?” Jax turns his attention back to the conversation.

“According to my source, a lot of creatures nearby her home have been getting detained and taken to HQ, a lot of times without any notice given to family members or neighbors. She says not one has come back. Her significant other has been gone for over a week now.”

“So, you want us to go on a rescue mission?” Holmes asks.

Belle shakes her head, “No, I want Faith to go on a rescue mission.”

“You’re going to send a witch into the depths of a creepy witch killing organization?” Jax looks at Faith.

“It’s more so a distraction.” Belle also turns her attention to Faith, “The rest of us have another reason we have to get in there. A witch as elusive and astonishing as you will be all they will focus on and if you can hold them off, we could possibly get in completely undetected.”

Faith shrugs, “Count me in.”

Barney looks at her in disbelief, “You’re going to just accept this without so much as questioning the challenges or possible outcomes?”

“I kissed a frog once and I never regretted it.” She smiles, “Besides, Belle promised to help me be able to stay permanently in Fearie.”

“And I plan on keeping that promise.” Belle states matter-of-factly, “In fact, I already have had Ursula enchant this cabin so you won’t be ripped out of Fearie while inside.”

Ursula looks at Faith, “As long as you and I are nearby or you are in this cabin, you will be safe from being ripped back to your own world. However, once we start our operation to rescue this creature, you would be in a situation where speed is a factor, as we will be too far away from each other.”

“This is one of Holme’s cabins. He has agreed to allow you to stay here during our assignments.”

“It’s not much,” Holmes declares, “But I hope you can find some comfort in it. You are more than welcome to adjust anything to your preferences.”

Faith looks at him and Belle wide-eyed, “You trust me with your cottage?”

“Should I not?” Holmes chuckles.

Faith looks into her lap and fiddles with her hands, “…I don’t know what to say…”

Holmes gets up and stretches, “You don’t have to say anything. You’re now one of the gang and we treat each other like family. Well, except Jax is the estranged rich uncle who whines a lot.”

“Ha ha, you dick.” Jax sarcastically replies as Holmes begins to leave.

“Well, I’m off,” Holmes opens the door to leave, “Faith, if you need company or anything, I’m right next door.”

“That’s creepy.” Jax says but Holmes is already gone.

Barney gets up too, “Holmes’ has a soft spot for witches, but he’s no creep. He’s the only local doctor, so you will probably actually need him.”

He hugs Faith.

“We’ll have to catch up sometime before our adventure.” He waves and leaves.

“Well, I guess that is our cue.” Ursula and Alice also get up.

“You don’t have to leave yet.” Belle smiles.

“When the cat’s away, the mice will play. If I don’t get back home, the place will be chaos.” Ursula smiles back.

“Anarchy.” Alice chimes in.

“Faith, I do hope you will join us over at my place sometime soon. I do think you would enjoy yourself there.”

Jax laughs and Ursula shoots him a dangerous look.

She closes her eyes and smiles again, “Poor rich boy. Has to pretend he doesn’t want the toys he can’t play with. “

She takes out a kiseru and lights the bowl, taking a big breath from it. Alice gets closer to her, and grabs her hand. Ursula releases a large dragon shaped puff of smoke, and the two disappear. Belle coughs and waves at the air in front of her.

“You pissed her off again,” Belle frowns at Jax.

“Eh, she’ll be fine.” He puts his arms behind his head and reclines back in his chair, slightly, “She gets a kick out of it.”

Silence. It’s just Belle, Jax, and Faith in the room and Faith finds herself unable to think of any way to start a conversation. There’s no electronics, no television, or even a phone. She notices a box resembling an old fashioned radio on the bar, but stays seated. She is still trying to think of something to say when Belle walks to another room towards the back, leaving Faith and Jax alone. Faith finds this to be even more nerve-racking, making her tense.

She forces herself to say something, “So, what do you guys do for fun?”

Jax doesn’t budge, still reclining back, eyes closed, “This is it.”

“You sleep?” Faith asks, bored.

“Yep, pretty much. Although, sometimes, annoying girls who think your horns are a turn-on ask you really obnoxious questions while you’re trying to relax.”

Faith ignores the off-hand comment, “Well, don’t you read any books or anything?”

Jax groans and sits up, “Yeah, there are books, but I imagine all of the ones here are all medical. Why do you care?”

“I really like books.” Faith lays her head in her arms, “And I’m not going to be able to sleep in such a strange place without at least one book to read.”

“So, you’re a poindexter?” Jax asks, half interested.

“Not really, I don’t do a whole lot of educational reading. I prefer fantasy stories or even thrillers.”

“Hmmm. I guess I could bring you some from my library tomorrow.” Jax ponders.

“You read too?” Faith’s eyes get bright.

Jax looks at her with an unamused look, “Yeah right. I hate books. My father had a giant study and I just can’t seem to take it down, so maybe you’ll give the books better use. He also liked those fantasy novels and whatnot.”

Faith smiles, “He seems really cool.”

Jax sighs, “He was but he’s not around anymore.”

“Oh,” Faith stammers, “I’m so sorry.”

“Whatever. Don’t worry about it. He died a while ago.” Jax gazes off into the distance.

Silence. Faith tries to change the topic, “So, how did you and Belle meet?”

Once again, Jax makes a groan, this time standing up. Without saying a word he walks over to her chair, and turns it so she is facing him. Faith expects him to say something snarky or to snap at her but he instead leans down and grabs her by the chin, pulling her face close to his. She looks up at his horns once again. She thought that maybe getting closer, he could accidently collide with her.

“Ah, your horns don’t seem like they are that bad. They’re not even in the way.” She laughs nervously.

With that, he touches her lips with his and Faith is struck with alarm and confusion. They stay like that for just a few seconds when Faith pulls away, still shocked. Jax just smiles sweetly and walks away to the back room, but not before stating, “You talk too much.”

 

 

Faith sits frozen in her chair, in the same position until both Belle and Jax walk back out of the room. In which case, she quickly turns her chair back facing the table and places her head in her arms. She wants to avoid looking at Jax but also finds herself quite exhausted. She wasn’t used to being in Fearie for such a long duration and it was taking a toll on her for the day.

“Well Faith, we’re heading off.” Faith raises her head to notice Belle’s arm linked with Jax’s, “I took out towels for you and laid out some new bedding. I do hope you get some rest. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day. Jax will be taking you over to Ursula’s.”

“What?” Jax looks at Belle, surprised.

Belle unlinks her arm from Jax’s, “Oh Jax, you’re the meanest looking of all of us. You’d make the perfect body guard. Besides, Ursula wanted to speak with you about something and I figured that maybe Faith could get more information regarding her own situation.”

“Whatever.” Jax walks over to the door, “I’ll be here at exactly 8 a.m. So, be prepared. I won’t wait.”

Faith nods.

“Are we going or not?” Jax urges Belle, opening the door impatiently.

“Why don’t you get a start? I just want to tell Faith about one more thing.” She smiles aloofly.

Jax sighs and closes the door behind him as he leaves.

Belle brings her attention to Faith, “Before you fully accept all of this, I need you to know, there is a catch to getting what you want.”

Faith looks back at Belle, “What do you mean?”

“I didn’t bring you here just for you to do our errands. You said you only help those in desperate need. Faith, I wasn’t asking your help for me.”

She stands up, “Jax is in desperate need of your help.”

She walks to the doo. She seems to be deep in thought, unable to fully communicate what she wants to say, everything is on pause as Belle thinks her next words. As she opens the door and takes a step out, she turns her head, looking at Faith with pleading eyes.

“Save him.”

© 2018 Calamity


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on January 2, 2018
Last Updated on January 2, 2018
Tags: fantasy, story, act 1, comic book storyboard, beast, Grimm's Tales, Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast, fairy tales, Ursula, magic, witches, creatures

Author

Calamity
Calamity

About
Just an amateur writer who writes storyboards for the comics I plan to make. more..

Writing